Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-13-2021, 03:43 PM   #1
Mjc

Toad problem

I have been flat towing a 98 jeep and today one of the pins came out and destroyed my tow bar. It was a roadmaster falcon 2. This is actually the 2nd towbar to do this on me. What can cause the locking pin to come out and then the tow pin. I attach right on too my bumper.
Mjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2021, 07:05 PM   #2

What type of clips are you using? If they are Lynch Pins, then there are several things to know.
  • There is a right way and a wrong way to use these (see picture)
  • Make sure nothing like safety cables/chains or electrical cables are near the 'bale' or the part that opens/closes.
  • Every time you stop for anything more than a few minutes, walk around the toad and check it out. Pay attention to the Lynch Pins and make sure nothing is near the bale, or make sure nobody took them thinking they were being funny.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lynch Pin 2.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	332013   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lynch Pin Install.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	332014  

2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 07:28 PM   #3

We have the same tow bar and we had a pin almost fall out that I know was properly set before we started our trip. We were fortunate and stopped for gas early in our trip and I saw the unlocked pin. We changed all locking pins to locks to prevent the problem.
rffowler55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 07:40 PM   #4

Never had a pin fall out. I run a short length of chain from the ring on the head to the ring of the lynch pin. I originally did this to keep from loosing either pin, but I think it keeps the lynch pin from being 'knocked' up. The chain runs under the attachment.
Old 06-13-2021, 07:42 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Replace the pins with locking pins and youíll avoid this happening again.
Old 06-13-2021, 08:06 PM   #6

Locking pins also helps with people (I am tempted to say teenagers) being up to stuff while you are stopped.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 10:32 PM   #7
Mjc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
What type of clips are you using? If they are Lynch Pins, then there are several things to know.

• There is a right way and a wrong way to use these (see picture)
  • Make sure nothing like safety cables/chains or electrical cables are near the 'bale' or the part that opens/closes.
  • Every time you stop for anything more than a few minutes, walk around the toad and check it out. Pay attention to the Lynch Pins and make sure nothing is near the bale, or make sure nobody took them thinking they were being funny.
That is what I use. I was only 50 miles from home when it happened. I will be looking a new tow bars tomorrow.
Old 06-14-2021, 05:32 AM   #8

I've used the Lynch Pins for 21 years now on roads from interstate to rutted crush rock mountain roads and have never had a pin bump loose. The way they are made and installed, I just don't see how it is even possible, unless something like a safety cable/chain hits it or humans think its funny to flip them open.

But, if you feel better with locking hitch pins then by all means go for it. I tried them for a while but found the lock mechanism would freeze during very cold driving days causing me to have to use a butane lighter flame to heat the lock and thaw it out before I could remove them.
Old 06-14-2021, 05:49 AM   #9

I've given this issue a fair amount of thought and I'm thinking of going to drilled shank bolts and castellated nuts and using the pin to keep the nut from backing off. I know it will be more work but if you use stainless bolts and nuts they won't rust up on you. I just don't like the idea of any lateral force being held in by the relatively small hair clips or lynch pins. It won't take long for them to wear through.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:32 AM   #10
Mjc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I've used the Lynch Pins for 21 years now on roads from interstate to rutted crush rock mountain roads and have never had a pin bump loose. The way they are made and installed, I just don't see how it is even possible, unless something like a safety cable/chain hits it or humans think its funny to flip them open.

But, if you feel better with locking hitch pins then by all means go for it. I tried them for a while but found the lock mechanism would freeze during very cold driving days causing me to have to use a butane lighter flame to heat the lock and thaw it out before I could remove them.
I have no idea how they could come but it did and now my rv is fed up from where it hit the back of the rv.
Old 06-14-2021, 01:47 PM   #11

Jayco Owners Club
I use them all the time on my tractors and implements as well as my hitch setup. One point to share is to always installed the from the top or from towards the front of the vehicle otherwise if a rock (or other item) hits them just right they will open up. Every now and then I can feel one that is not as strong anymore and I go ahead and replace those that feel that way. I haven't had one come off unexpectant in many years (15~20) now that I take those precautions. ~CA
Old 06-14-2021, 01:58 PM   #12

I have replaced the Pins with locks this way I know they will not fall out and no one can remove them when we are stopped. Never had any issues but I was always worried that if we walked away from the MH someone would pull the pin and I would not catch it.
Old 06-15-2021, 08:30 PM   #13

I use a bolt with a locking nut. I have the wrench I need at hand and it takes less than 30 seconds to unhitch.
Old 06-16-2021, 05:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmboy666 View Post
I use a bolt with a locking nut. I have the wrench I need at hand and it takes less than 30 seconds to unhitch.
You use a bolt/nut on on all three (two on the toad, and one on the coach) connection points?

Tags
problem, toad