Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2016, 03:34 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Toad protection

Trying to find a way to protect my new 2016 Jeep wrangler. On my old toad (83 Jeep CJ7) I custom made brackets to use all the Roadmaster stuff along with the Roadmaster Guardian.

I currently have the Rockhard 4x4 bumper with the Roadmaster brackets but you cant add the Guardian mounts, everything is in the way haha.

I have really never liked the looks of a rock guard type mudflaps on the coach but i may have no choice.

Any ideas or suggestions I would appreciate.

picture of the Rockhard bumper
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rockhard.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	139469  
TOAD #1 2016 Jeep Rubicon
TOAD #2 1983 Jeep CJ7
Digz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2016, 03:38 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I highly recommend the Protect-A-Tow mesh shield between the MH and toad. I think that is the very best protection you can have! We have never had a ding on any of our toads using this! Look at my post #10 in the link below to see mine.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/toad-...ml#post3220246
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:38 PM   #3

Take the big rubber mud flap off of the rear of the coach and your Jeep will be fine. That flap is the biggest cause of stone damage on a towed vehicle or trailer. All that's needed are the small flaps directly behind the tires. Been there and done that.

Edit: I have a brand new Protect-a-Tow still in the bag that I was intending to put on, but found that without the big flap, it wasn't needed.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:42 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
You'll get many opinions on the rubber flap at the rear of the MH. My personal experience with them has been good, but I have it positioned to hang 6" above the road. Any lower than that can throw up rocks.

On the other hand, the Protect-A-Tow will stop any rocks that the flap throws up!
Old 09-20-2016, 04:32 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Looks like the Protect a tow isnt wide enough to cover the whole front of the jeep but im sure it protects most of it...... this is a option for sure.

My coach doesnt have a full length mud flap just the small ones behind the rear wheels.

I have thought about what happycampers said and add the full length at the rear like his. Being a raised jeep i think it might be good enough and most stuff is going under...
TOAD #2 1983 Jeep CJ7
Old 09-20-2016, 04:39 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was having fits with rocks and debris on the Jeep and took the rear mudflap off and no problems since. My mudflap did set low because of a motorcycle lift.

I was going to get the KarGaurd II, but think I'll wait because I don't think I need it now that the rear flap is gone. I do have flaps behind the tag.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digz View Post
Looks like the Protect a tow isnt wide enough to cover the whole front of the jeep but im sure it protects most of it...... this is a option for sure.

My coach doesnt have a full length mud flap just the small ones behind the rear wheels.

I have thought about what happycampers said and add the full length at the rear like his. Being a raised jeep i think it might be good enough and most stuff is going under...
Why would you go to the expense of buying a full flap and adjusting it at 6" or any height when serves as no meaningful benefit for the coach or the Jeep?
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:35 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Trying to find a way to protect my new 2016 Jeep wrangler. On my old toad (83 Jeep CJ7) I custom made brackets to use all the Roadmaster stuff along with the Roadmaster Guardian.

I currently have the Rockhard 4x4 bumper with the Roadmaster brackets but you cant add the Guardian mounts, everything is in the way haha.

I have really never liked the looks of a rock guard type mudflaps on the coach but i may have no choice.

I have the Aluminum Rockhard bumper except with the winch mount on top of the bumper rather than recessed. I don't see why the Roadmaster Master Guardian mounts don't work in the two upper bumper bolts. It will ride higher than it did before and should be above the winch, etc. If still too low you create an adapter which would have a sleeve to fit the Guardian pins in at the top and on the bottom a pin to fit in the Roadmaster Guardian mount. You can angle it to come on the outside of the Winch Guard. If the spacing is off or it doesn't work then perhaps you can contact Rockhard (they seem to be accommodating people) and ask them to make a mount that accepts the two rods on the Guardian, keep it above the recovery shackle tabs and roller fairlead and also will angle it away from the winch guard. You might end up with the Guardian on a slight angle downward which should be helpful in deflecting the stones. They might ask you to send the Guardian mount to them to attach to a custom mount they make utilizing the top two bumper bolts. I would think the cost wouldn't be that much different than your tow bar mounts would be. If you do something with Rockhard let us know I've replaced my windshield on the JK twice already.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:04 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It does line up pretty close with that top bolt above the mounts,but i would have to make a stand off somehow since the bolt cant go all the way through the bracket.

IF you have seen the AEV hawse fairlead license plate bracket it lines up perfect. So my idea is to build my own bracket but out of 3/16' or 1/4" steel since the AEV is too thin and make a bracket like the Roadmaster Stowaway and bolt it on.

So in theory i would take my license plate off and bolt the bracket on and i would be ready to roll.
TOAD #2 1983 Jeep CJ7
Old 09-21-2016, 06:48 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Not sure now, but Protect-A-Tow at one time was offered in a larger version!
Old 09-22-2016, 06:02 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Not sure now, but Protect-A-Tow at one time was offered in a larger version!
Still is. I just ordered it.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:13 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

I use Protect a Tow and it is easy to use and does the job
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad