Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2020, 05:29 PM   #1

TOAD question

Is there a place to find a list of vehicles that can be flat towed?

What is the best towing system to use for the TOAD?
NitroxAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2020, 06:04 PM   #2

There are several lists but I don't know them off the top of my head.

But here are some TOADS ready to go:
https://www.irv2.com/rvclassifieds/showcat.php?cat=22
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:23 PM   #3

Motorhome magazine have a pdf guide you can download with a toad list.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:07 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum.

Yeah, both Motorhome Magazine and the FMCA magazine come out each year in their April editions with a list of toads. Both lists are usually identical and will ONLY list vehicles that are sanctioned or officially approved by their manufacturer for towing 4-down.

Therefore, there are other vehicles (some VWs and Minis as an example), that are not on the list but some of their manual transmission vehicles are being flat-towed successfully (search this forum thread further information).

Also, other vehicles not on the list might be able to be towed by disconnecting the drive shaft or using a lube pump ...or making other types of modifications. Again, these will not be on the list. Motorhome Magazine and FMCA are only publishing the vehicles that require no major modification and that are approved by the manufacturer for the purpose of "recreational towing" (also known as flat towing or towing 4-down).

Motorhome Magazine List by year from 1990 to 2020

The 2021 list will be available around March when the April edition to the magazine is available.

eta: Many here will recommend going to the Remco website for information. One, Remco is no longer making lube pumps so the information they give might now be limited, plus, I've never been a fan of the Remco website as I've found some of the prior information too general, sometimes incomplete, and at times even inaccurate.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:12 PM   #5
NXR

Quote:
Many here will recommend going to the Remco website for information. One, Remco is no longer making lube pumps so the information they give might now be limited, plus, I've never been a fan of the Remco website as I've found some of the prior information too general, sometimes incomplete, and at times even inaccurate.
Remco shut down their towing division and products as of October 1st.

Towing – Remco

Ray
Old 10-25-2020, 08:21 PM   #6
NXR

Quote:
What is the best towing system to use for the TOAD?
That question could start a religious war.

Some people will advocate flat towing (all wheels on the ground). Some will advocate using a dolly. Some will advocate using a trailer.

Some people will advocate for a portable supplemental braking system, one that has to be set in place in front of the driver's seat and removed in order to drive the car. Some will advocate for a permanently installed supplemental braking system that just takes the flip of a switch or connecting an air line. Some will advocate for a supplemental braking system that is totally mechanical and pulls on the unpowered car's braking pedal.

Generally, anything you pick will be safe.

Oh, and some people will advocate for buying used equipment off Facebook Marketplace or similar.

It all depends on what your preferences are, what kind of vehicle you end up with, what kind of motorhome you are using to tow the car, and your budget.

Speaking of which, your profile lists a Coachmen fifth wheel. Please consider clicking on User CP on the light green bar near the top, left side. Then scroll down to Edit Signature and enter in your motorhome's year, make, and exact model number. That will let people give you more accurate answers.

Ray
Old 10-25-2020, 08:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Remco shut down their towing division and products as of October 1st.

Towing – Remco

Ray
So yes, I'm guessing that confirms that they've taken down their list of vehicles and what has to be done to them to flat-tow? I don't see it any longer as it's well past October 1st. Like I say, I've never been a fan of that list. For me, I'm glad that it no longer will be recommended here on the forum as like I mentioned, I did find discrepancies and inconsistencies in their information.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad