Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2012, 10:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernsue View Post
Getting ready to buy something to tow behind our 2011 Fleetwood 32V. Have it kind of narrowed down. Question is in your travels, regardless what you are towing. how many times did you wish you had something you could comfortably take down that backroad.
Several, allow me to explain.
We traveled the Grand Circle and more this summer towing our Solara convertible, it's great on scenic drives without a roof over your head. On the dirt roads, not so great, the ruts can get it shaking pretty severely, enough that once we had to turn around, another time we probably should have, So the 4x4 only roads were out,
We searched and were successful in finding a nice used Wrangler. We can still drive the scenic roads topless, and now we can take ALL the back roads as well! Not sure how comfortable those back roads are in any vehicle though.
...and we have the Solara in case we go resorting.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
We used to tow a 4WD vehicle (Chevy Tracker) but never really went much beyond dirt roads. Even traveling the back country in places like Moab there were always adequate trails to follow, so any 4WD vehicle did fine. Ditto for Maine and even Alaska, where we climbed mountains and drove to secluded rivers. You probably don't need a real off-road vehicle (skid plates, raised suspension, etc) unless you really want to make your own trails, but a 4WD SUV can be a plus. And since you are asking this question, I'm guessing that trailblazing is NOT your hobby!

So, I would suggest that a 4WD or AWD SUV is probably a good choice for you. You get better road manners and comfort for every day driving, but enough extra capability to venture off the beaten path.

I dont consider myself a serious offroader, but I have followed quite a few trails that followed a creek wash and went thru a number of creeks that made me EXTREMELY Happy, that I had skid plates when I heard all that scraping noise under my Jeep. I do my own maintenance on my vehicles and while underneath the jeep have seen numerous gouges in the skid plates that could have been in the oilpan tranny or transfer case instead of the skid plate. There is a road in Alaska called Nebesna rd. we took to the end and if it wasnt for skid plates we would still be there. They are not expensive, easy to install and you might as well be prepared, better safe than sorry.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdogKing View Post
We own and tow a TJ Wrangler that we play in the So Cal deserts in. Also we tow a Honda CRV which has a little ground clearance and all wheel drive but that's just in a pinch.
So if someone Full-Times, and simply wants to have one TOAD, which one would you choose?
Jake62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:11 PM   #18

Because I have to drive my toad to work each day and I travel a lot without the MH, I could not get a Jeep. I wanted one and believe that once I retire and am not putting so many miles on, I will have one as my toad. Right now I tow a Jetta TDI, can fill it at the same place at the motor home but gets 48 mpg so I like that. Not AWD or 4WD but even here in Upstate, it does fine. Not for offroad, but I love it on the highway.
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #19

Gulf Streamers Club
I tow an old Honda CRV and it is a good all 'round driver for me. I would rather have their AWD but at this time this works for me.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:56 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake62 View Post
So if someone Full-Times, and simply wants to have one TOAD, which one would you choose?
Since your thread Title says you wish you had a Jeep, you're hearing from all the Jeep owners!

I think it unlikely that they're going to recommend anything else...

I will say, however, that my 1997 Kia Sportage 4wd has never failed me in the backcountry, though I probably wouldn't attempt to climb sheer rock slopes with it.

'Course, come to think of it: I doubt I'd do that no matter WHAT kind of vehicle I had!
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:57 PM   #21

Be prepared to pay the insurance. Our full size Tundra is less then the Liberty and only off roading it sees is the yard. Mostly to do with the roll over point which I think my children and husband try to find when driving it.
sadiebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
I tow my '05 Chevy Colorado 4WD. It a crew cab, so there's some room in it for taking people with you, and it's a nice comfortable on-road vehicle . I've never used it for off-roading, but I would think it's capable for at least "light duty" off-roading since it's the Z71 package (I'd like to try it out sometime). Very easy set up and tow, although it is kind of heavy (over 4K).
Old 12-09-2012, 06:25 PM   #23

I like to do a little exploring on occasion - but nothing like following a creek bed. Way too paranoid when I'm that far off road.

We went CRV for it's ground clearance and AWD for those occasional side trips down a 2 track or forest road, but the fact of the matter is, every time it's used that way, there are hundreds when it's used for touring, commuting, and getting groceries, comfortably while getting good gas mileage. Jeeps are fun, but when setting our priorities, I can't justify it.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiebug View Post
Be prepared to pay the insurance. Our full size Tundra is less then the Liberty and only off roading it sees is the yard. Mostly to do with the roll over point which I think my children and husband try to find when driving it.
We are in TX and didn't notice any extra insurance cost for our Jeep.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Oh, and to the OP... It's a Jeep thang.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #26

Texas Boomers Club
2004 Cherokee for us.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:14 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I tow a 2007 Jeep Wrangler behind my Bounder 32 foot gasser with no problem. Getting things set up for full timing and we are selling the wrangler and will pull our 2011 Jeep grand Cherokee. I think the Grand Cherokee will be capable of doing some back roads, not as good as the Wrangler, but it will be fine for us.
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #28

I did not just end up with a Wrangler.

I chose it.
It goes 4-down when we move.
Other than that, it ONLY goes where ever we want.
I Jeep naked when possible. (Don't freek folks, it means without a top and doors)
It has been a "Jeep thing" since 1941.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad