Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmbeard View Post
I am debating the idea of a new Jeep Wrangler for our new Fleetwood Bounder, but I am still not convinced. I bought a 2008 FJ Cruiser in 2007 and I really like the vehicle. In my opinion, the Jeep is a step down and away from the FJ, but the FJ cannot be towed four-down. So I'll need to trade in my FJ if I am to buy a Jeep.

Decisions, decisions...
Dream Car Rentals, as well as others I'm sure, rent Jeeps there in Vegas.
Rent one for a couple days see what you think . . . .
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2012, 08:32 AM   #44

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As a full time couple we chose the 07 Wrangler Unlimited as our only vehicle. It's reasonably comfortable. It tows easy. Can go almost anywhere. Not bad MPG, good re-sale value. Can carry a lot of stuff, or 5 people if needed. And it looks pretty good behind the Dolphin.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:10 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmbeard View Post
I am debating the idea of a new Jeep Wrangler for our new Fleetwood Bounder, but I am still not convinced. I bought a 2008 FJ Cruiser in 2007 and I really like the vehicle. In my opinion, the Jeep is a step down and away from the FJ, but the FJ cannot be towed four-down. So I'll need to trade in my FJ if I am to buy a Jeep.

Decisions, decisions...

good one...at first I thought you were serious, when you said a Jeep was a step down and away from an FJ (which I know very well, having abused them on several occasions). Surely the wobbly Prado/Tacoma based 4300lbs 236hp - 260hp (only w/premium fuel) beast, can't be miles better than the little 3,760lb, 285hp Command/Rock trac equipped Wrangler, what with its higher ground clearance and 4-link suspension.

What's more is FJ didn't even have 4x4 as a standard option (if you're a 4x4 guy like me, you laugh at stuff like that), 4x4 models didn't use true lockers, rather a faux-locker known as A-TRAC...and it's one giant blind spot while in traffic. FJ guys love their rides, but wish their FJs had what Jeep JK owners enjoy.

Criticism aside, the truth is the Toyota is a tough SUV built on a rock-solid platform. It's a truck you can have fun with and be proud of. Open up any Off-Road magazine or even go down and 4x4 trail, and you'll see they're always behind the Jeep...but mind you, they're right behind. And rightfully so, as one of the FJ's lead designers was former Chrysler Corp designer Bill Chergosky. So there's a little bit of Jeep in your Toyota

Now, if you don't use your FJ as it was intended, but rather only as a grocery getter, all of this was gibberish that doesn't really matter, and it could've as easily been built on a Camry frame lol
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #46
KAS

WOW, and here all I thought of was I wanted a small car in a covered trailer so that when the car was offloaded, Hubby would have a workshop for keeping up with repairs.

Much more to think about!
Old 12-17-2012, 12:45 PM   #47

Jeep ideal tow vehicle

We have towed a 1982 Jeep CJ for years, just recently ungraded to a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I think the Wrangler Unlimited is a great vehicle it has all the tuffness and offroad abilities and the extra space (20 inches longer) than the standard Wrangler. We use it in the desert and mountains and it can handle any trail I am willing to tackle. Plus with the longer wheelbase it is much more comfortable on the road, and the new engine as of 2012 is a huge improvement, still not the best mileage. I can't imagine towing anything else.
Larry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:00 PM   #48

Thanks for all the ideas and info. We had a Jeep Wrangler with our other MH but then we were just going out once and a while locally. Now upon retirement we will be gone for months at a time. We are looking at the CR-V or the Jeep Unlimited. Not sure if the CR-V is tough enough to go a little off road.
ernsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #49

^ no, the CR-V isn't at all suited for a romp off the beaten path. If for no other reason, because there is no skid plates to protect vital underbody components. But there are many reasons on top of that.

Many people think skid plates are only for hard core off roading. But the truth is, you can easily drive over something in the center of a trail that's easy enough to miss with your eye, but capable of doing serious damage. Just something to keep in mind. Playing on the trails is risky business in something ill-equipped. My friend's '06 (not 4x4 w/skidplates) apparently got snagged by a sharp obstacle while going out to the river to fish, but he didn't notice. Trans coolant line was punctured and by the end of the day, the trans cooked itself to death due to the loss of fluid. He didn't had no clue.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #50

Freightliner Owners Club
Towed 2005 TJ for years. Traded in recently for 2012. Love em!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2698042277.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	539.1 KB
ID:	30707
zeeyaarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm going to buck the trend....

I'll say never. We were offered a Jeep Wrangler at a very attractive price when we bought our coach but turned it down because it's not an 'old' dog friendly vehicle. The back seat is too small for 2 Goldens and too hard to get into and out of.

We opted for a CRV and it has served us well.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:00 PM   #52

I'll agree that if it never leaves pavement, a CRV is fine ride
Old 12-18-2012, 06:24 PM   #53

Forest River Owners Club
I miss my jeeps, first one was a CJ5, second wrangler, third wrangler, fourth CJ7, fifth another wrangler.
Intothewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #54

The other thing about a Jeep is, like the RV, there are doz
Old 12-26-2012, 02:49 PM   #55

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileRick View Post
The other thing about a Jeep is, like the RV, there are doz

"...ers at the wheel"?

"...ens in the ditch"?

What????????
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #56

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
I'll say never. We were offered a Jeep Wrangler at a very attractive price when we bought our coach but turned it down because it's not an 'old' dog friendly vehicle. The back seat is too small for 2 Goldens and too hard to get into and out of.

We opted for a CRV and it has served us well.
You found a 4dr Wrangler hard to small and hard to get in and out of? You must be talking about a 2dr.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad