Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2019, 03:03 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Toad recommendation

We currently own two cars: my 2005 Infiniti FX35 and a 2007 Jeep Liberty, which is our toad as well as my husband’s daily driver. Both are getting a bit long in the tooth, but are running fine for now. So I’m just in the planning stages.

I love my Infiniti, but it can’t be flat towed. The Jeep is perfect for towing, of course, and on dirt roads which we occasionally take, but I can’t bear the ride when we get places - it’s really hard on my tailbone and just a bouncy jouncy rough ride, especially on the highway.

And, my husband was crushed when he had to get rid of his little Beemer M3 convertible when we downsized and moved to AZ in 2016. So when it’s time to buy another car, I want to switch things up so the comfy SUV is also the toad, and he can go find himself another sports car.

I’d like to buy a slightly used SUV when we do this - I want the bells and whistles that cars have now (Infiniti no longer updates our navigation system!), including lane control, but I want flat-towable. We have a 40’ DP, so it can be a bit bigger and heavier than the Jeep.

I’ve seen a Buick Envision as a possibility, but I’m wondering if anyone has experience with it?

Anyone have a suggestion for something that is currently a newer model that you are using like this? Good/bad - let me know.

Thanks in advance!
DianaCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2019, 03:57 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Go for a Jeep Grand Cherokee or maybe the smaller Cherokee. With the right transmission they're fine for flat towing. And the ride is much better than the Liberty.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:22 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I like my Cherokee Limited - Must have Active Drive II so you can unlock the hubs. The Trailhawk package includes the Active Drive II. It's also available on some of the other trim levels.

Mine drives smoother than my Mercedes C300.

Ron
rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 04:29 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
If you don't want to go new, a 2013-2014 Honda CR-V would be a good bargain & not that old.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:31 AM   #5

Check out the towing guide which can be found on the net. It lists towable vehicles by year.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:27 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I do know about the dinghy guides - I was hoping for advice about the reality of ride comfort, simplicity of actual use, warnings about issues with particular vehicles that are listed.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:05 PM   #7

Needed to buy a daily car for DW and also wanted one that could be flat towed. Looked at the jeeps but she did not seem all that impressed with the ride and some other issues. Ended up with a 2016 Lincoln MKX with all the bells and whistles including the ones you mentioned and she absolutely loves it!! Great ride and handling. Very easy to put transmission into "Neutral Tow Mode" from the vehicles settings menu in the dash display. Follows motorhome perfectly, barely notice it is even back there.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:20 AM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Our 2017 Chev Equinox Premier ( pre 17's were LTZ) V6 awd auto trans is a great toad that's easy to set up and tow 4 down and has most of the bells and whistles available.
Some 2010-2017 4 cyl Equinox's have a "deathwobble" issue that I believe is easily correctable.

2018 and up Equinox's are engine/trans dependent re being 4 down towable.
sinterior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:23 AM   #9

We have a 17 Buick Enclave and its a great toad and comfortable daily driver.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:05 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I’ve been off the forum for a long time. Just thought I’d come back to report that we finally bought a new toad - a 2019 Buick Envision with all the bells and whistles (except no leak-about-to-happen moonroof), with about 7K miles. We just got her back from the bumper/hitch company that installed the car side of our Blue Ox and Air Force hitch and braking system. We had the fuse cutoff put on too - putting into condition to tow is easier than with the Jeep. No restriction on tow speed or running the car between legs.

It’s a CUV (not quite an SUV), and looks like every other one one the road. Oh well. It’s at least a more comfortable ride. My challenge is now upgrading my automotive electronic convenience knowledge from 2005 to 2019. Voice commands! Heads up display! Butt rumble as a backup warning, and the car fighting me if I try to change lanes without signaling! I guess that’s good for me.

In the meantime, my 90 year old father moved in with us, so the more comfortable roomy car was even more important. Can’t wait until it’s safe to get out and about again!
Old 02-22-2021, 07:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaCox View Post
We currently own two cars: my 2005 Infiniti FX35 and a 2007 Jeep Liberty, which is our toad as well as my husband’s daily driver. Both are getting a bit long in the tooth, but are running fine for now. So I’m just in the planning stages.

I love my Infiniti, but it can’t be flat towed. The Jeep is perfect for towing, of course, and on dirt roads which we occasionally take, but I can’t bear the ride when we get places - it’s really hard on my tailbone and just a bouncy jouncy rough ride, especially on the highway.

And, my husband was crushed when he had to get rid of his little Beemer M3 convertible when we downsized and moved to AZ in 2016. So when it’s time to buy another car, I want to switch things up so the comfy SUV is also the toad, and he can go find himself another sports car.

I’d like to buy a slightly used SUV when we do this - I want the bells and whistles that cars have now (Infiniti no longer updates our navigation system!), including lane control, but I want flat-towable. We have a 40’ DP, so it can be a bit bigger and heavier than the Jeep.

I’ve seen a Buick Envision as a possibility, but I’m wondering if anyone has experience with it?

Anyone have a suggestion for something that is currently a newer model that you are using like this? Good/bad - let me know.

Thanks in advance!
We tow a Buick Envision! So far it’s been great! No restrictions on towing it, and I barely notice that it’s back there!
sgt1577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:04 PM   #12

Quote:
I’ve been off the forum for a long time. Just thought I’d come back to report that we finally bought a new toad - a 2019 Buick Envision with all the bells and whistles (except no leak-about-to-happen moonroof), with about 7K miles. We just got her back from the bumper/hitch company that installed the car side of our Blue Ox and Air Force hitch and braking system. We had the fuse cutoff put on too - putting into condition to tow is easier than with the Jeep. No restriction on tow speed or running the car between legs.

It’s a CUV (not quite an SUV), and looks like every other one one the road. Oh well. It’s at least a more comfortable ride. My challenge is now upgrading my automotive electronic convenience knowledge from 2005 to 2019. Voice commands! Heads up display! Butt rumble as a backup warning, and the car fighting me if I try to change lanes without signaling! I guess that’s good for me.

In the meantime, my 90 year old father moved in with us, so the more comfortable roomy car was even more important. Can’t wait until it’s safe to get out and about again!

Is your car FWD or AWD? Is anyone towing an AWD Envision? The manual that I saw wasn't clear on flat towing AWD... We really like the car and that there are no speed or distance limits.
lifguardct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:38 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifguardct View Post
Is your car FWD or AWD? Is anyone towing an AWD Envision? The manual that I saw wasn't clear on flat towing AWD... We really like the car and that there are no speed or distance limits.
I got the Premium II trim, with standard AWD. See the attached snips from the 2019 Dinghy Towing Guide and the manual, both showing AWD and FWD are flat towable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FC560919-9609-4233-A4D5-BC9168786F8E.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	320006   Click image for larger version

Name:	9132BFDB-D70A-4348-A186-69457C0DD471.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	620.6 KB
ID:	320007  

Old 03-04-2021, 04:28 AM   #14

Quote:
I got the Premium II trim, with standard AWD. See the attached snips from the 2019 Dinghy Towing Guide and the manual, both showing AWD and FWD are flat towable.
Also have the Premium II with AWD. It tows great!
sgt1577 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad