Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2021, 09:47 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Toad recommendations

Greetings, everyone! Y'all helped me greatly with a question I posted awhile back, so I need to ask another one and glean your expert advice.

I have a 29 foot Jayco Greyhawk. In the next couple of months, I want to purchase a toad. Need input on vehicles you all tow.

I've been told I need 4wheel drive to tow or a two wheel drive in neutral, but have also been told the 2 wheel drive would have to be a standard transmission. Which is better.

It's just me and two pets on day trips so something mid size would work for me.

Your advice is appreciated!
Sandy
National Rally Wagonmaster
Life is sweet when the TEXAS BOOMERS meet!
Madame Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2021, 10:12 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
My 2016 Kia Soul (Base) with a 6 spd manual transmission was inexpensive to buy and has been trouble free for about 20,000 towed miles now. You can just barely make it out behind the WBGO there in my avatar (I "think if you click on the pic it will enlarge?) It weighs about 2800 lb so that is nice and light. It is great for day trips but if you expect to do any off-road adventuring, it would not work......the Jeep Wrangler seems to be really popular for that.

Enjoy your new rig, and be safe.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 10:14 PM   #3

Generally a manual transmission is easier for “four down” towing because you just put the transmission in neutral. With a 4WD with a transfer case (such as a jeep), putting the transfer case in neutral accomplishes the same thing.
There are a number of other vehicles suitable to tow & im sure those with more experience will chime in.
Old 02-28-2021, 10:41 PM   #4

We tow a 2011 Jeep Liberty. Sort of a "jack of all trades, master of none" towed vehicle. It's comparatively light, cheap, 4WD, towable 4 down (transfer case goes into N), and as a hard topped SUV, it's comfortable and somewhat quiet. It's treated us well so far for very short coin.
Old 02-28-2021, 10:42 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
I did a search of the Kia Soul and really like the general look of it. No offroading for me!!! Sightseeing trips and grocery store with a little room for treasures found in an antique shop is more my style!!

Thank you for the input. There's a Kia place not too far from me that I can check it out in person.

My understanding is I would have to buy a swaybar and also have something welded on the front of the vehicle to attach to the swaybar with chains. Correct??

Assuming it's easy to hitch up and tows well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by youracman View Post
My 2016 Kia Soul (Base) with a 6 spd manual transmission was inexpensive to buy and has been trouble free for about 20,000 towed miles now. You can just barely make it out behind the WBGO there in my avatar (I "think if you click on the pic it will enlarge?) It weighs about 2800 lb so that is nice and light. It is great for day trips but if you expect to do any off-road adventuring, it would not work......the Jeep Wrangler seems to be really popular for that.

Enjoy your new rig, and be safe.
Old 02-28-2021, 10:51 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Just did a search on your model. There were several of the Liberty, but also the Cherokee caught my eye!

I get the feeling I'll be hitting all the dealerships in town for the next month or so!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
We tow a 2011 Jeep Liberty. Sort of a "jack of all trades, master of none" towed vehicle. It's comparatively light, cheap, 4WD, towable 4 down (transfer case goes into N), and as a hard topped SUV, it's comfortable and somewhat quiet. It's treated us well so far for very short coin.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:37 AM   #7

The question is very subjective & will produce lots of opinions based on varying needs.

Below link shows reviews and many models to choose from.

https://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/
KenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:52 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Madame: My understanding is I would have to buy a swaybar and also have something welded on the front of the vehicle to attach to the swaybar with chains. Correct??

Yes, you will need a towbar with ample rating to tow your "toad". Additionally you will need a "baseplate" (hardware mounted to your toad ..... all of them I know of are "bolt on" and no welding is req'd), an electrical harness installed on the toad and a braking system.

I bought my hardware and electrical harness from etrailer (online) and self-installed it. Hopefully someone in your Boomers group will be able to recommend an installer in the Houston area; but, if there is a "wrencher" in your family it would be a plus ..... and the work is simple enough to do.

I use an "RVI" brake (Google up RVI Brake); there are other good options. My daughter uses my rig a lot and with the help of her two teenagers they can have the Kia hooked up and checked out for travel in 20 minutes or less.

As KenZ71 says, you will get lots of opinions on this subject.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:29 AM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We went with a 2017 Buick Envision! There are no towing restrictions and it really only requires the removal of 2 fuses. I added a bypass switch that makes it super easy.

I installed my own baseplate, and if you have the skills and tools, I recommend doing it yourself! That way you’re sure no “corners” were cut.

In October of 2020 we took it on a 6,800 mile road trip and I barely noticed that it was there. I used all Blue Ox equipment and very pleased. I know there have been some negative comments recently about their equipment, but I spent a lot of time looking at the back of others rigs and the majority had Blue Ox.

I used a wireless light bar that also worked great!
sgt1577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:49 PM   #10

Toad vehicle

Madame: If you decide to go the Cherokee route, pls ask questions and do research...I fell into a situation where I was misinformed and it was my fault. I bought a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited fully loaded. I sold my 5th wheel and just ordered a 33 FT Class C. My Cherokee cannot be flat towed as it has the Active Drive I transmission. It requires the Active Drive II transmission and that was an upgrade..The piece of literature I was reading matched the salesman's comments...I thought it was not the end of the world as it could be towed with tow dolly with two wheels up but that is not the case..All 4 wheels must be off the ground on the Jeep Cherokee with the Active Drive I transmission..My recommendation would be to investigate any particular vehicle you think you may buy for that specific configuration as not all 3rd party gouge or salesmen are not the most knowledgeable...
rbev2308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:34 AM   #11

Carolina Campers
I have a class c and my toad has been the chev sonic. They stopped making them in 2021, but 2020 may still be available. One fuse to pull and 2400 or so pounds. If you look at this please check the motorhome dingy guide as one sonic cannot be flat towed. Check also what needs to be done to flat tow on any vehicle you choose. Some are more complicated then others.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:51 AM   #12

I started our towing a smart car. Very light weight at 1800 lbs and great gas mileage. However all too often we couldn’t go see the things we wanted to do to rough gravel roads or in some cases muddy and absolutely NO beaches. Sold I it and bought a used Jeep Wrangler. Really didn’t see the need for 4 wheel drive most of the time, just the clearance. But now there isn't any place we can’t go and we have been to many that if we weren’t in a Pickup or SUV of some sort we would have had to of passed. I wouldn’t go back to any toad that sits low again. But that’s me.
Josephls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Boomer View Post
Greetings, everyone! Y'all helped me greatly with a question I posted awhile back, so I need to ask another one and glean your expert advice.

I have a 29 foot Jayco Greyhawk. In the next couple of months, I want to purchase a toad. Need input on vehicles you all tow.

I've been told I need 4wheel drive to tow or a two wheel drive in neutral, but have also been told the 2 wheel drive would have to be a standard transmission. Which is better.

It's just me and two pets on day trips so something mid size would work for me.

Your advice is appreciated!
Sandy
Look Here - https://www.irv2.com/rvclassifieds/s...?cat=22&page=1

Easier to buy one set up and ready to go - Just a thought.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 04:25 AM   #14
chs

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryn View Post
I have a class c and my toad has been the chev sonic. They stopped making them in 2021, but 2020 may still be available. One fuse to pull and 2400 or so pounds. If you look at this please check the motorhome dingy guide as one sonic cannot be flat towed. Check also what needs to be done to flat tow on any vehicle you choose. Some are more complicated then others.
What year is yours? A friend said that you cannot tow with the RS version but cannot figure out why. His is a 2017.
chs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad