Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2017, 06:15 PM   #1

Toad right turn signal problem

I have a '17 Precept and a '16 Cherokee on which I installed the Blue Ox diode wiring kit. The jeep stand alone works perfectly. The Precept lighting works well.

When the Cherokee is connected to the Precept with a Blue Ox 7-to-6 cable, the running and brake lights work well on both, as well as the left turn signals. The right turn signal only works on the Precept but not on the Cherokee.

All the output lugs tested correctly on the 7. I will now test the lugs on the 6 connected to the 7 but fear, since it's a factory wired cable, that the 6 will also test well. This would indicate that it may be the 6 female I wired to the front of the Cherokee OR the actual wiring I fitted to the Cherokee OR the right turn signal diode?

Where to start and how to solve? Help!
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2017, 09:03 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
After testing that the signal is going through the cord, I'd test the plug on the front of the Jeep. Next make sure the signal is getting through to the wire going from the plug to the diode. You can push a pin through the wire insulation and test the wire with a test light or a multimeter, just be sure to use a dab of liquid electrical tape on the pinhole in the wire after testing. Then test at the diode for the signal. Diodes can go bad or wired backward, but that's the next place to check.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:43 PM   #3

Thank you. Will do!
Old 07-20-2017, 06:06 PM   #4

I had a similar problem and cause turned out to be the ground wire on the plug coming from the motorhome. One wire was missing about 1/4" of insulation just above the plug.
I covered that with an electric tape wrap and everything worked.
CWJK55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:25 PM   #5

All's good from the MH to the 7 to 6 cable. All's good on the cable 6 connector. Will disassemble the plug on the front of the Jeep to confirm all wires solidly connected and the take off right rear lamp assembly to make sure all connections good. Finally will swap two diodes. To see if problem goes from no turn signal to something else and replace the faulty diode. Not looking forward to all of this...

Tags
toad