Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2016, 09:12 AM   #15

What dennis45 said. After a $650 repaint job on my enclosed trailer to repair all of the stone chips, I removed the full width mud flap and no more stone chips on the trailer after 5000 miles. The individual flaps behind the wheels give you all the protection you need. Nothing else is needed. I think some people leave that big stone thrower on because it looks cool. Mine will remain behind the garage.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2016, 09:19 AM   #16
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Joe,
your's looks better made than mine !

Maybe they made them narrower/skinnier by the time I bought it ?!?

I do know the clipped rod to hold up the sides is too 'flimsy' as mine has almost bent into a pretzel
This pic was after the first trip - it's much worse now, will probably build my own

OK, confession time! I had mine made by a local upholstery shop!
I thought I could save some money, but I ended up spending about the same as I could have bought one for!

The support rod is a piece of 3/4" PVC with a 1/2" EMT conduit inside for extra strength, and end caps with small screw eyes!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:28 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
thanks
Old 05-02-2017, 11:45 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
This is what my setup looks like!

Who makes thos one
Cacique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 03:15 PM   #19
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacique View Post
Who makes thos one

Look at post #16 above!
Old 05-02-2017, 03:27 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I hate to disagree with the previous posts, but my coach mud flap is very heavy rubber about an inch or so off the ground. When driving, it does not sail up, and stops any rocks before they get to my toad. My concern is stopping rocks as early as possible that cause damage.

Your shield likely will work fine, but I'd rather stop the rocks at the coach, and I have one less hassle when hooking up and taking down. It also will not stop a rock from hitting below the shield and hitting your grill or headlights.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:29 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Craig36
I agree with your thinking on level surfaces. During our Alaska trip we ran on very rough and uneven roads with huge chunks of sharp granite rock they use for road base. My full mudflap threw rocks both forward (took out my coach radiator) and at times back towards my jeep. My Protect-a-Tow blocked the majority with chunks of rock laying on top of the mesh. The road around Destruction Bay was the worst I've ever driven. We are going back this year and on advise of the garage in Fort Nelson that fixed our radiator and other motorhome owners my mudflap is staying home in the garage
Old 05-02-2017, 04:51 PM   #22

Quote:
OK, confession time! I had mine made by a local upholstery shop!
I thought I could save some money, but I ended up spending about the same as I could have bought one for!

The support rod is a piece of 3/4" PVC with a 1/2" EMT conduit inside for extra strength, and end caps with small screw eyes!
Joe we also made our own shield looks similar to the one you had made ,we brought a black screen tarp from Harbor Freight ,cut it down ,brought some 3/8 bungee cord a bit of sewing ,added some hooks and it's a home brew shield .
tizzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:31 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We use the Protect A Tow and like it a lot. Only thing I don't like about it is it gets dirty from road grime while in use, but I suppose that's road grime that doesn't end up on our toad. Anyway the Protect A Tow is easy to clean, I just spread it out over a picnic table when it rains and it comes out clean!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:24 PM   #24

Quote:
This is what my setup looks like!

My friend has the exact one. It works great.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:30 AM   #25

I've looked at the NSA ready brake tow bar deflector which is similar to the protect a tow. In talking to the folks at NSA they said if the diesel pusher you plan on attaching the deflector has an exhaust at the rear of the coach this will present a fire hazard.

Viewing the picture below it’s easy to see the exhaust is in the way. Anybody have a solution?

Joe, could you post where you attach the break away cable on your coach, I can't see from the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	exhaust (800x600).jpg
Views:	83
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	160556  
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:55 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Interesting post here. I am about to haul a toad for the first time and have purchased the long solid rubber flap for MH. I haven't installed yet but getting ready to install after I finish laminate floor project.
Any more experiences with the rubber flaps?
Old 05-04-2017, 09:19 AM   #27
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAquaman View Post
Interesting post here. I am about to haul a toad for the first time and have purchased the long solid rubber flap for MH. I haven't installed yet but getting ready to install after I finish laminate floor project.
Any more experiences with the rubber flaps?

Personally I would not use the solid rubber flap without the Protect-A-Tow. I think each serves it's purpose. The rubber flap will stop large debris and the Protect-A-Tow will stop all the small stuff! JMHO
Old 05-04-2017, 09:23 AM   #28
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
I've looked at the NSA ready brake tow bar deflector which is similar to the protect a tow. In talking to the folks at NSA they said if the diesel pusher you plan on attaching the deflector has an exhaust at the rear of the coach this will present a fire hazard.

Viewing the picture below it’s easy to see the exhaust is in the way. Anybody have a solution?

Joe, could you post where you attach the break away cable on your coach, I can't see from the picture.

I wrapped a couple of loops of 1/8" aircraft cable secured with a turnbuckle through one of the holes on the side of the hitch where the safety cables are hooked. I just snap the breakaway cable around this loop of cable.

Tags
scr, toad