Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2020, 04:24 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
Actually its just titled Tow speed limits ( I intended to type toad and couldn't edit it) and the discussion is centered around manufacturers recommendations/limitations due to potential component damage.
To respond to your question however, posted speed limits are the law and whether you get caught or not, you are on your own to decide whether to violate it. I highly doubt that any LEO would ticket or even stop anyone that was exceeding the limit by a couple of miles an hour but over that and it is a risk. Of course someone will mention the legal implications if something goes wrong and you are in an accident while driving 70mph in a posted 55mph zone. I do under stand exactly what you are saying and agree that fitting in with the flow of traffic feels safer to me and its the root origin of my question. If fitting in requires me to drive faster than my top comfortable speed, which is about 70, I will just take the risk and let them play their game as they see fit. It is amazing however how much differently other drivers treat you at 68-70 than they do at 60-65.
Yes, "fitting in with the flow of traffic' is much safer then being 'that guy' and having people passing you all the time. If your passing a lot of people your going to fast and if a lot of people are passing you you are going to slow. Not hard to figure out but many can not grasp this simple matter and are stuck in ' im right no matter what' mode :(
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2020, 05:07 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ted View Post
Yes, "fitting in with the flow of traffic' is much safer then being 'that guy' and having people passing you all the time. If your passing a lot of people your going to fast and if a lot of people are passing you you are going to slow. Not hard to figure out but many can not grasp this simple matter and are stuck in ' im right no matter what' mode :(
I'm with you and that's about the way I drive too. I feel it is being courteous as I know how I feel when someone is "poking along" in front of me. Not a problem on the interstate as long as the slower drivers stay in the right lane.

I usually run around 70 and avoid "gaggles" like the plague by generally going a little faster until I am well clear before slowing back down to cruising speed. Not so much to watch and worry about when you're in the "clear". Ever have a big truck blow a tire a short distance ahead of you? It's scary, with pieces flying everywhere.

Although they weren't close to new, I towed our Samurai and Tracker past their recommended speed, and time before stopping and running the engine, most of the time. But I did run the engine when we stopped for some other reason. After a few coast to coast trips I installed driveshaft disconnects in both of them, no worries then.

I'm thinking you'll get your answer in a PM soon, as promised. If not, you could call a rep and ask them.

Best of luck.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:07 PM   #31

I set my cruise control at 62 when towing my Honda CR-V which has a tow limit of 65. I have exceeded that when going downhill. My Honda is well out of warranty so no issues with it squealing on me.

I'm very comfortable at 62 though I do seem to get passed a lot by other motor homes and 5th wheels. That may not sit well with some but I've seen enough video's of the results of blow outs at high speed that I really don't care what others think while I'm driving in the right lane.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 03:14 PM   #32

Commercial Member

Quote:
We have been pulling an Equinox for a couple of thousand miles now, mostly our 2015. It was older and high mileage and I usually pulled it at 68ish average and had no troubles. We now have a 2020 and am careful not to get over the 65 mph speed limit. Does anyone have any real world first hand experience with issues caused by towing over that 65 mph limit for extended periods of time. Issues to include actual breakdown and or warranty denial? I understand the legal implication for GM recommending this but it it actually a physical issue like overheating the tranny? Discussion is open to anyone that has that 65mph limit on their toad. I would really like to feel good about towing at 70 when the traffic is flowing that way instead of being a roadblock.

Don't forget your tires have a MAX speed rating of 75 mph. You should consider this like the engine Red Line. WHile it may be possible to exceed it but not for long before you will be getting a new engine. The longer you run at or just below the "Red Line" the shorter your tire life will be.
If your engine Red line is 4,500 do you think it's good to run 4,400?
Old 05-31-2020, 03:28 PM   #33

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
I can understand your concerns, but it looks like you have 2 issues. First being physical damage to the toad due to overheating, and like considerations. Just think about this hard for a minute. Pulling for uncounted hours at 65 is OK, but at 66 is not? We all know it doesn't turn into a pumpkin at 66, so how about 67, or 68 or, heaven forbid, 70? In reality if the manufacturer has a real issue he's trying to prevent from happening, he'll pick a speed well below the "aw-sh*t" speed where bad things start to happen. How much cushion did they put in? That's the question.

Your second issue about the manufacturers warranty is another point. Depending on how new your Equinox is and how many computers it's sporting, the vehicle may squeal on you. A couple of years after we bought our 2013 Bus we had it to Tiffin for a speedometer problem. The Tiffin techs hooked up their computer to check gauge accuracy and the boss played around for a minute or two. He turned to my DW and I and said something about "How did the rig handle at 82-83mph?" My wife got red in the face and "confessed" that she was the one flying low when I was sleeping as she tried to pass a fool on a downhill who didn't want to be passed. She's an excellent driver and I was not concerned at all, but the Bus kept a record of what went on. The moral... Your Equinox may squeal and your claim COULD be disputed. My choice would be to pull it at 70, but that's me. Your rig, your choice. Good luck, which ever way you go. BTW, we run at 70-72 conditions permitting, but no manufacturers limits. 110,000+ on this Bus, and 75,000 on the previous 2008.

You might ask your alternate driver if they feel it is OK to exceed the MAX speed rating of your tires?
Old 05-31-2020, 03:32 PM   #34

Commercial Member

I've only driven across the US 4 times in my RV. I set my cruse at 62 for many reasons but I am almost entertained by watching 5vers blow past me doing well over 75 and wondering how many miles it is before I see them stopped with a belt separation. Since I probably pay more attention to tires and people on the side of the road as most I am almost amused and will admit that I do not have a lot of sympathy for their problems as they have been warned but chose to ignore the multiple warnings out there.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:33 PM   #35

Been towing an equinox for several years. This is a 2019 and then had a2016. Tow at 70 is so. Never had a problem. On the new one you have to put it into service mode and that means a change cable to charge the battery. Other then that no problems. We have a demco to bar and love it my
onholdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 03:53 PM   #36

I am with Grindstone.... why drive so fast.... I towing a 2018 Jeep cherokee and like to drive around 60... why the rush?
normburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 03:59 PM   #37

Quote:
We have been pulling an Equinox for a couple of thousand miles now, mostly our 2015. It was older and high mileage and I usually pulled it at 68ish average and had no troubles. We now have a 2020 and am careful not to get over the 65 mph speed limit. Does anyone have any real world first hand experience with issues caused by towing over that 65 mph limit for extended periods of time. Issues to include actual breakdown and or warranty denial? I understand the legal implication for GM recommending this but it it actually a physical issue like overheating the tranny? Discussion is open to anyone that has that 65mph limit on their toad. I would really like to feel good about towing at 70 when the traffic is flowing that way instead of being a roadblock.
We had a 2013 Equinox tow vehicle for which the owner's manual said not to exceed 65mph (4 wheels down). We limited cruising speed to 65, but occassionally reached speeds of 70 - 75 when passing with no damage to the transmission or other drive train components. We now have a 2017 Buick Envision AWD tow vehicle with no speed limit. However, the manual says not to use a stone guard due to restricted air flow. I had a nice Demco hitch stone guard, drilled air holes to increase ventilation, and began using it on a trip from GA to CA. After about 500 miles, we smelled what seemed like burnt rubber - we were worried! I removed the stone guard and had the tranny checked at the next city. No damage was identified - thank goodness. We now have a 'brush' style stone guard attached to the coach frame near the rear wheels. It protects the Buick from most rocks and debris while allowing maxiumum air flow. The Buick tows smell free, and the transmission works fine. The lesson we learned is to follow the owner's manual instruction.
roblaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 04:11 PM   #38

Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a 2002 Honda Civic. My son-in-law borrowed it to tow behind his motor home. I told him to stick with max 65speed limit. He forgot and towed between 75 and 80. The transmission and engine started smoking. A trucker signaled him and pointed behind him. He stopped and the transmission was toast. I was not there, but I believe the pressure gets to high and causes the transmission to windmill.
Old 05-31-2020, 04:46 PM   #39

Your owners manual says 65 mph, why drive faster you’d be surprised at how much more scenery you’re missing. You’re not being a road block at 65, most semis are governed between 62 and 68.
Grandpa5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 05:15 PM   #40

Quote:

We have a, (new to us), a 2014 Honda CRV. Although not the same as your car, our manual also states 65 mph. I asked around and Advice I got was as long as you use a good synthetic tranny fluid and change it at 1/2 intervals, you should be fine up to 70 mph, so I was told. And if you disconnect the battery I would think there will be no clocking your speed or odometer recorded.

I’m with you on keeping with traffic. It’s not excessive to drive 68 while towing if you ensure you have the right spec’s and setup and everything is in good working order. We drive 67-68. It’s also more comfortable to me to drive at that speed when everyone seems to be going 75-80. And when in 65mph zone we drive 63ish. We even get passed up by other RV’s towing cars! It’s what makes us comfortable. I think anything over 70 Might be a bit reckless when you’re towing anything. Just my opinion. Not trying to offend anyone.

It’s going to be hard for you to Trust any information you may get but it will be more difficult to verify, unless there is real world experience by someone else.

Good luck stay safe, let us know what you find.
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 05:17 PM   #41

Quite an excuse

Quote:
No rush just sometimes it's more relaxing to stay with traffic instead of having people wheeling in and out around us. 68 seems to be the happy spot in our area. If traffic flow warranted 60 that would be fine too, I just try to fit in. Right now I get nervous about exceeding that toad speed limit and am trying to decide if it is justified or if I can relax again.
Quite an excuse. You are in a hurry just admit it. Being responsible means driving at a speed that you can control you rig it all situations. Bumping 70 mph is not safe. I don't care how many people chime in here and say I am wrong.
Do what the other poster said to do. Slow down to just under 60 and let the hot rod's fly by. I'd rather do that than bury my family or someone else's because I could not control my rig in an accident situation. How do you know your brakes can handle the GCVWR? Really, how do you know hey are in tip top shape?

Why risk it. Drive safely, get there in one piece, have fun, head home in the same manner and live to do it again.

Doc
DocHaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 05:45 PM   #42

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
I have been pulling a 2019 for a year now. I have had no issues at 65-70. I don't know if the car can actually tattle on you since it is not running but in what GM calls "service mode" that I think it the later equivalent of accessory on the older cars.
For me, braking power is not a concern, I leave plenty of room and I have a lot of brake.
lawjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow