RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-19-2020, 07:43 AM   #1
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Toad Speed Limits

We have been pulling an Equinox for a couple of thousand miles now, mostly our 2015. It was older and high mileage and I usually pulled it at 68ish average and had no troubles. We now have a 2020 and am careful not to get over the 65 mph speed limit. Does anyone have any real world first hand experience with issues caused by towing over that 65 mph limit for extended periods of time. Issues to include actual breakdown and or warranty denial? I understand the legal implication for GM recommending this but it it actually a physical issue like overheating the tranny? Discussion is open to anyone that has that 65mph limit on their toad. I would really like to feel good about towing at 70 when the traffic is flowing that way instead of being a roadblock.

https://enjoying-life.net
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2020, 07:48 AM   #2

Why the rush? Just leave a hour earlier and drive 55-60 mph and enjoy the ride with less stress.

grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:35 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
No rush just sometimes it's more relaxing to stay with traffic instead of having people wheeling in and out around us. 68 seems to be the happy spot in our area. If traffic flow warranted 60 that would be fine too, I just try to fit in. Right now I get nervous about exceeding that toad speed limit and am trying to decide if it is justified or if I can relax again.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:51 AM   #4

Have you considered that your ability to stop an RV, during an emergency, is drastically impaired by excessive speed?

Fuel consumption is much higher at excessive speeds.

Crosswinds and passing trucks can make your rig increasingly unstable at higher speeds.

Most RV tires have lower speed ratings than passenger tires. Also, at higher speeds a blowout can be extremely destructive to your RV.

Bottom line is, that lower speeds are much safer.
Hollardawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:08 AM   #5

I can understand your concerns, but it looks like you have 2 issues. First being physical damage to the toad due to overheating, and like considerations. Just think about this hard for a minute. Pulling for uncounted hours at 65 is OK, but at 66 is not? We all know it doesn't turn into a pumpkin at 66, so how about 67, or 68 or, heaven forbid, 70? In reality if the manufacturer has a real issue he's trying to prevent from happening, he'll pick a speed well below the [Moderator Edit] speed where bad things start to happen. How much cushion did they put in? That's the question.

Your second issue about the manufacturers warranty is another point. Depending on how new your Equinox is and how many computers it's sporting, the vehicle may squeal on you. A couple of years after we bought our 2013 Bus we had it to Tiffin for a speedometer problem. The Tiffin techs hooked up their computer to check gauge accuracy and the boss played around for a minute or two. He turned to my DW and I and said something about "How did the rig handle at 82-83mph?" My wife got red in the face and "confessed" that she was the one flying low when I was sleeping as she tried to pass a fool on a downhill who didn't want to be passed. She's an excellent driver and I was not concerned at all, but the Bus kept a record of what went on. The moral... Your Equinox may squeal and your claim COULD be disputed. My choice would be to pull it at 70, but that's me. Your rig, your choice. Good luck, which ever way you go. BTW, we run at 70-72 conditions permitting, but no manufacturers limits. 110,000+ on this Bus, and 75,000 on the previous 2008.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:11 AM   #6

Is there a caution in the owner's manual regarding maximum tow speed? If not, I wouldn't be concerned about 68 mph. I can tow my Avalanche at any speed and my tires are rated for 81 mph, but I usually end up @ 62-63 for the reasons mentioned. We normally do not have a need to be at our destination any sooner.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:43 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Is there a caution in the owner's manual regarding maximum tow speed? If not, I wouldn't be concerned about 68 mph. I can tow my Avalanche at any speed and my tires are rated for 81 mph, but I usually end up @ 62-63 for the reasons mentioned. We normally do not have a need to be at our destination any sooner.
There is. However like many subjects there is always the Manufacturer knows best vs it's only CYA and my cousin's brothers sister had a tranny failure from driving 66 mph. I am looking for actual people that have had issues because of doing it and through tons of reading have found no one that really relates this happening. If it is really a thing then you would think someone would warn us about it having happened to them.

Pigman1 : Yea big brother in those black boxes is certainly a consideration and part of the reason I am asking. I know they will know.

To everyone else I do understand stopping distances, relaxing and enjoying the ride, fuel mileage, and tire limitations. Thank you for you concern and they are all good points but that wasn't the question here today. I am a safe driver and operate my bus in a way that is related to what is going on around me at all times. Sometimes, IMO, it is safer to roll with the traffic when there are impatient 4 wheelers and tractor trailers playing real life GTA 5. I don't care about 5 mph but they all seem to.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post

To everyone else I do understand stopping distances, relaxing and enjoying the ride, fuel mileage, and tire limitations. Thank you for you concern and they are all good points but that wasn't the question here today. I am a safe driver and operate my bus in a way that is related to what is going on around me at all times. Sometimes, IMO, it is safer to roll with the traffic when there are impatient 4 wheelers and tractor trailers playing real life GTA 5. I don't care about 5 mph but they all seem to.

I don't let other people or drivers determine what speed I drive at (60 mph is right for me). Traffic can always go around you if they desire and you will never please the other drivers out on the road, that's just not a good justification! If you want to drive fast assuming it's legal, do it because you want too!
If your front tire blows, those vehicles you were trying to keep up with probably won't stop to help you.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:20 AM   #9

Per the Owners Manual Pg 347
Caution
If the vehicle is towed without performing each of the steps listed underDinghy Towing,the automatic transmission and AWD system could be damaged. Be sure to follow all steps of the dinghy towing procedure prior to and after towing the vehicle

.Caution
If 105 km/h (65 mph) is exceeded while towing the vehicle, it could be damaged.
Never exceed 105 km/h (65 mph) while towing the vehicle

Believe it and heed it
OR disreguard it and get on with it
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:20 AM   #10
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've never had any problems towing our Saturn Vue. This spring when returning to Ohio, I did the speed limit or a tiny bit over, 75 - 80 for the western part of the country, 70 - 75 east of the Mississippi. I don't think the car knows if its being dragged or moving under its own power.

I normally don't drive this fast, but gas was cheap and no one was on the road. I usually run around 65 but will bump it up a little if I'm being to much of an obstruction to other drivers.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:45 AM   #11

Talking tow speed limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
We have been pulling an Equinox for a couple of thousand miles now, mostly our 2015. It was older and high mileage and I usually pulled it at 68ish average and had no troubles. We now have a 2020 and am careful not to get over the 65 mph speed limit. Does anyone have any real world first hand experience with issues caused by towing over that 65 mph limit for extended periods of time. Issues to include actual breakdown and or warranty denial? I understand the legal implication for GM recommending this but it it actually a physical issue like overheating the tranny? Discussion is open to anyone that has that 65mph limit on their toad. I would really like to feel good about towing at 70 when the traffic is flowing that way instead of being a roadblock.
1987 Holiday Rambler Crown/20' box trailer w/smart car,etc. 12 tons. New tires. But I still make sure we are the slowest on the road. Also, as I get older my reflexes and ability to look everywhere for danger (idiots) seem to be less than they were 40-50 years ago.I think it's the water!
R Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 01:26 PM   #12

I think the manufacturers put a buffer in there when they say 65mph.
Why do they all say 65mph? They aren't the same transmissions. I think they just picked a nice round number for liability sake.
I usually put my cruise control on 64 for our CRV, but that didn't stop me from going faster downhill or trying to get around a slightly slower mover.
I don't think 69 or 70 mph will hurt it.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:32 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
... I don't think the car knows if its being dragged or moving under its own power.
On many (most?) cars it certainly does know. When it is being driven the transmission fluid is constantly being pumped through a transmission cooler. When it is towed, this is not the case and the fluid can overheat.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 01:46 PM   #14

spdracr39: pm me your vin number, I work for a GM dealer and need to know what trans is in your equinox to answer the question.

there is three differant trans than come in the equinox for 2020

cafeguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow