Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2023, 03:08 PM   #15

2010 or newer Jeep CK Wrangler or the newer versions. I have a 2-door sport which weighs 3,400 lbs. You don't need to leave the key in or on, can lock the doors and travel. If you look at the 2010 model be careful because Jeep still had the steering wheel lock on the early versions. If you do buy a Wrangler, the tow set-up (i.e. baseplate, tow bar, tow bar connectors, wiring harness, and supplemental brake system) can cost $4,000.00 just for the parts. I installed everything myself. The cost I gave is for supplemental air brakes. The stand alone electric brakes are probably more. If you buy the parts suggest you purchase from Etrailer, they are terrific. I recommend Blue Ox with the Roadmaster supplemental braking system.
RWillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2023, 07:49 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Like possum2’s original question, what is a good, less expensive toad option other than a Jeep?
Chief Deputy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 08:40 AM   #17

To get any meaningful answer you need to ask, new or used, seating for how many, manual transmission ok or not, general use, etc.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 03:25 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Issac-1,

Thanks. My wife does not like driving a standard, so automatic transmission and we prefer an SUV used.
Old 02-24-2023, 04:44 AM   #19

I'm glad we have the midengine toy hauler with the '96 mini under the bed.

If we were living in the us an El Camino would be my first choice.
Ludo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 08:11 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
Shane,

If your going to tow with a 450 chassis, you had better take a real good look at how the hitch is attached to the frame.

I did on my '04 Pace Arrow and it scared me to death, hanging down 12" and only 5 huck nuts per side to a piece of angle iron, so I fixed it with 2 x 2 x 1/4" angle and grd 8 bolts.

Now I tow an 8K# enclosed car hauler all over Colorado with confidence.

Mike in Colorado

Thanks Mike. I’ll definitely take a good look at that if I decide to tow the RAM. I’d rather not just due to the extra strain towing that much weight.
I might look at something like Issac-1’s Yaris but can be towed with an automatic trans.
Old 02-24-2023, 09:28 AM   #21

When I was TOAD shopping and ended up on the Yaris, I was looking for a relatively cheap / light TOAD under about 2500 pounds built in the last 10-15 years. We already had my wife's 2017 Jeep Cherokee Overland edition which weighed in at 4300 pounds and which does not tow well behind our coach. I think about the only car with an automatic transmission that was flat towable that came close to this was the Chevy Sonic which weighs in at about 2,700 pounds. The only thing lighter that had an automatic and was flat towable were some years of the Smart ForTwo at about 1800 pounds, which I considered but removed from the list due to seeing too many horror stories online about not being able to get parts, apparently when Smart pulled out of the US market and closed all their dealers a few years ago they also stopped US parts distribution, meaning all parts must now be ordered from Europe.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 05:57 PM   #22

We flat tow a 2013 Explorer. Very easy to tow. Just put the trans in N and you are ready. It can be either the FWD or the 4WD version. And they can be had fairly cheap. Even keep an eye out for the Ford Edge which is just like the Explorer.
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad