Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-20-2021, 08:48 AM   #1
RnT

Toad Vehicle - GMC Terrain Battery Drain

We are full timers. We recently got a C class for our traveling after 8 years pulling a fiver. We have a 2017 GMC Terrain for a tow. We are having a problem with running the battery down. We don't travel over about 3 or 4 hours at a time. We remove the ignition logic fuse. Anyone have an idea what could be draining the battery?
RnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2021, 08:58 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Not a whole lot of data provided so I'm going to sound like Capt Obvious here, something is on as it's powered up. Maybe.. and just taking a stab at random thoughts here.. you have a brake system plugged in to the 12v plug? Maybe your key position to keep your steering unlocked also powers up electronics in the TOAD? Maybe lights? Or a weak battery? Or a combination of all the above?

To prevent any battery drain for our Jeep, we hooked up a trickle charge lead to the battery while under tow and plugged in to the coach.
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 09:28 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You can have a charge line added from the RV back to the toad to keep the battery up while traveling.

Ken
Old 07-20-2021, 02:11 PM   #4
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnT View Post
We are full timers. We recently got a C class for our traveling after 8 years pulling a fiver. We have a 2017 GMC Terrain for a tow. We are having a problem with running the battery down. We don't travel over about 3 or 4 hours at a time. We remove the ignition logic fuse. Anyone have an idea what could be draining the battery?
Which fuse number specifically?

Please see the attached PDF if you're not familiar with it. You do need a good charge line. My 2020 Equinox pulls almost 8 amps out of the car's battery when configured for towing and others with different model years have reported similar current drains. That'll kill the battery in two or three hours if your charge line is not present or not working.

Ray
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Equinox Terrain revised flat towing.pdf (17.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 07-20-2021, 02:26 PM   #5

My 2019 Terrain owner's manual says to not tow vehicle either on a dolly or 4 down, only with all four wheels on a trailer. Did it change to this with the 2018 year modal. Mine is an AWD it says on the tail gate.
David 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 02:49 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
2021 Equinox

What does that apply to. It is the first I have seen anything about pulling the ABS Fuse.
Phillieagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 03:04 PM   #7
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillieagle View Post
What does that apply to. It is the first I have seen anything about pulling the ABS Fuse.
Equinoxes and Terrains PRIOR to the 2018 model year needed a fuse pulled in order to flat tow them. Part of the 2018+ redesign eliminated that requirement.

That revised PDF for 2010-2017 also only applies to the 4-cylinder engines.

Ray
Old 07-20-2021, 03:07 PM   #8
NXR

Quote:
My 2019 Terrain owner's manual says to not tow vehicle either on a dolly or 4 down, only with all four wheels on a trailer. Did it change to this with the 2018 year modal. Mine is an AWD it says on the tail gate.
Beginning with the 2018 redesign the Terrain received an electronic shifter for the transmission; the Equinox did not. That's why the 2018+ Terrain can no longer be towed four down while the 2018+ Equinox can still be towed four down.

Ray
Old 07-20-2021, 06:33 PM   #9

There is a easy way to fix this. Remove the logic fuse as you are doing. let the car idle while connecting to the coach. Shift the transmission into neutral. Turn the key to OFF, DO NOT REMOVE THE KEY. The steering will remain unlocked as long as the key is NOT removed, and there is NO electrical load with the key in the OFF position. If you are using a auxiliary brake system such as the RVi3 or such that require 12 volts, there is a power port in the rear cargo compartment by the hatch that is powered at all times. Simply rig an extension port to your braking system using 12ga wire. These braking systems do not use enough voltage to run the battery down especially on a 4 hour or less trip. If it does have your battery tested because it is going bad.
Old 07-20-2021, 07:32 PM   #10
NXR

Quote:
There is a easy way to fix this.
While that may work for your V6, we do not know if the OP has the standard 4-cylinder or the optional 6-cylinder. The PDF I attached is the procedure to stop a possible "death wobble" due to the 4-cylinder having electric steering.

Me? I'd put in or fix the charge line, follow the manufacturer's directions, and be done with it.

Ray
Old 07-21-2021, 01:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
While that may work for your V6, we do not know if the OP has the standard 4-cylinder or the optional 6-cylinder. The PDF I attached is the procedure to stop a possible "death wobble" due to the 4-cylinder having electric steering.

Me? I'd put in or fix the charge line, follow the manufacturer's directions, and be done with it.

Ray

My towing procedure will work for either a 4cyl electric steering or 6cyl hydraulic steering. All that TSB does in reality is kill power to the control ECM for the electric steering sensor which is active even when the key is in the ACC position. With my procedure there is no power to any of the control systems with the key in the off position.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:14 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Have a 2015 Equinox (Chev version of Terrain). Originally pulled the Discrete Logic Circuit (dlc) fuse, and on rare occasions got a slow speed death wobble. New arrangement per GM is to pull ABS fuse, leave dlc fuse in, and add a charge line. Did that and battery deader than a doornail after 400 miles, even though getting 14V (with a charged batt) when coach running to charge car. Pulled dlc fuse and battery charged, but did get death wobble when I hit my 'favorite bump' while making a turn. So, one question is 'what does pulling the ABS fuse have to do with the death wobble'? Now at this point in time I have to decide if I'm more concerned about a somewhat rare slow speed death wobble during a turn if a bump is encountered, or a guaranteed dead battery at the end of each day. Think I know my personal answer
Skip Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 10:59 AM   #13

Try this, Pull or turn off via a switch the #32 fuse. start car and shift into neutral. Turn ignition key to OFF, DO NOT REMOVE THE KEY. As long as the key remains in the ignition in the OFF position the steering will remain unlocked. This method does not power the ABS control sensor which causes "bump steer" wobble as described in the GM TSB and cuts off any voltage drain on the battery. Try this method and see if it corrects both of your problems.

If you should experience continued wobble, caused by loose steering tolerances, you can take a couple of long bungee cords and hook one end to the driver's seat bottom frame and loop around the bottom of the steering wheel a couple of times and back to the seat frame with the other end. This will provide a centering force to counteract the wobble while towing.

Tags
tow, toad, battery