Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2019, 07:15 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Toad wiring

Hello all, I have a question about Toad wiring and what every one is using? I just purchased a 2016 Durango R/T with the 2 speed transfer case so that I can flat tow. I am ready to say good by to the tow dolly, but an unclear on what wiring harness to get. I can't find a plug and play harness, only a universal harness which means cutting the OEM harness. I will be having a shop install the wiring, I am just looking for what every on is using? Also what would a fair price be to install the wiring, from my understanding the Durango shares the same platform as the Jeep GC. Thanks for the help!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2019, 09:00 AM   #2

I've done all the wiring on all of the cars and trucks that I have towed. Some of them I installed another socket in the rear tail light assemblies and other including my most current (2015 GMC Terrain Denali) I installed diode's which I purchased on ebay. I went to a trailer supply store and bought 4 strand (brown, green, yellow & white) encased the wire in split loom and ran it from the front to the rear. It's not a difficult job, just time consuming.

Diodes were under $25.00 and the wire and trailer plug around $25.00.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Trailer-Wirin...7267639&chn=ps
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:01 AM   #3

I could be wrong but it looks like there is a simple plug and play kit available for your Durango. I would give the guys at etrailer a quick call before I started hacking into the factory wiring system.

https://www.etrailer.com/p-HM1114221...hmodel=Durango
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:48 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
I could be wrong but it looks like there is a simple plug and play kit available for your Durango. I would give the guys at etrailer a quick call before I started hacking into the factory wiring system.

https://www.etrailer.com/p-HM1114221...hmodel=Durango

Thank you! when I looked I could not find anything. I will call them tomorrow!
Old 03-03-2019, 12:52 PM   #5

That kit on etrailer looks like it's designed to allow his Durango to provide lighting to a trailer he would be towing, not his Durango being towed.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
That kit on etrailer looks like it's designed to allow his Durango to provide lighting to a trailer he would be towing, not his Durango being towed.
Yep.
"Provides a 4-way flat trailer connector at the back of your vehicle to power your trailer's signal lights"
Old 03-03-2019, 05:41 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
Thanks, I just double checked. I will the shop install a universal one it looks like.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:00 PM   #8

You guys are correct. My mistake.

On Remco it says there is a wiring kit for the Durango but it costs nearly $300 or something. That is way more than the diode system that Jowdy posted above.

You might still give etrailer a call and see if they have anything that is plug and play.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:44 AM   #9

Don't be afraid of cutting the wire loom on your vehicle. It's done all the time when installing diodes. If you're not familiar with the purpose of diodes it's to keep the 12 volts used to activate the rear lights from moving forward into the vehicle and possibly causing damage.

I've always made my splices as close to the the rear tail lights leaving enough factory loom to remove the lights for service, and I've always used shrink tube to seal up the splice.

I take it you're not handy or feel competent enough to tackle this job yourself so, a shop should take no more than 2 hours to complete the job
Old 03-04-2019, 06:08 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Just finished installing the wiring for pulling our 2017 Nissan Frontier. Purchased everything from etrailer, I found their prices were the best. Not a difficult install but time consuming. Etrailer also has lots of good videos. Good luck.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:50 AM   #11

Are you dead set on adding wiring to tow? We use a Tow Mate towing light similar to what Tow Trucks use (actually exactly what they use).

We're towing a Mini Cooper and we just set this on the back deck and turn it on. I've zip-tied the receiver into the RV and haven't done anything with it in nearly 2 years. It's even a bit cheaper than the $300 (plus installation) that you've mentioned above and portable to other vehicles if needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Lime-Light-Wi...gateway&sr=8-4
Old 03-04-2019, 10:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
Are you dead set on adding wiring to tow? We use a Tow Mate towing light similar to what Tow Trucks use (actually exactly what they use).

We're towing a Mini Cooper and we just set this on the back deck and turn it on. I've zip-tied the receiver into the RV and haven't done anything with it in nearly 2 years. It's even a bit cheaper than the $300 (plus installation) that you've mentioned above and portable to other vehicles if needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Lime-Light-Wi...gateway&sr=8-4
These wireless tow lights are getting cheap enough to justify them over wiring into the car's lights.

I would just have to figure out how to power it without having to run a charge wire to the battery. I have to pull/switch off the acc fuse to keep the from killing my battery.
I wonder if one of the portable, rechargeable jumpstart batteries would work.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
These wireless tow lights are getting cheap enough to justify them over wiring into the car's lights.

I would just have to figure out how to power it without having to run a charge wire to the battery. I have to pull/switch off the acc fuse to keep the from killing my battery.
I wonder if one of the portable, rechargeable jumpstart batteries would work.

It's got an internal battery. We charge it off the RV battery overnight (12V plug) then just use it on the battery while towing during the day. We rarely try to charge it while driving but we could off the 12v system in the car.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:31 AM   #14

I'm late to the party, but Hopkins Manufacturing makes towing adapters for both the tower and the towee. I was looking for a plug and play for a Mini Cooper (which they don't have) but I noticed listings for several Jeep models.
Grace & Carl. Full time 5/31/16. Past-1980-ish 24 ft class A. 2003 Monaco Dynasty 40 Chancellor, 2010 Mini Cooper S, both CRASHED on 11/19 Now - 2006 Monaco Dynasty Platinum IV, 2011 Mini Cooper S CRASHED November 11/21 deer strike. 2016 GMC Acadia.
Pepperell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, wiring