Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2022, 07:20 AM   #15

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I had to search for a while, but I found a 2014 Honda CR-V for a toad and will be used as a daily driver. That is the last year the CR-V can be flat towed. After that year they went to a CVT and that cannot be flat towed.

Mine has AWD so I can do a little off-road, it's light in weight, and it gets good gas mileage.
Fitchburg, WI
Orrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2022, 01:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by uchu View Post
Easiest, yes. Least expensive...Nope.

By the time you factor in base plate, brake control, etc...You are way ahead in expenses, compared to a dolly.
You are right, the price is closer than I thought. Not sure about way ahead though. My setup was cheaper than any dolly I could find locally, but I did all the setup myself. If you have to pay someone else I can see how flat tow could be significantly higher than the price of a dolly. Depends on which version of each you choose of course.
Old 03-19-2022, 02:26 PM   #17

We investigated dollies, before going to flat-tow & a new car, because we had an old but serviceable ("3 dogs!") minivan that would not flat-tow. A new top drawer dolly, w/brakes, was not a big savings over flat-tow set-up, unless I did the install.

Many parks/campgrounds will not let you store dollies, trailers, etc. on their premises & we have no convenient storage @ home.

Had the Flex set-up by an RV dealership, after seeing the installation instructions online & the amount of body disassembly required. Complete Blue Ox hitch & Air Force One braking install totaled just North of $4000.

How much convenience do you wish to afford?
Cincy Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 06:11 AM   #18

We flat tow, and FWIW I’ve seen people dolly towing and removing and setting up a tow dolly. No thanks. I’ll stick to my less than 5 minute flat tow setup!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 06:26 AM   #19

You're near St George and you need to ask this question? Of course a Jeep. You are in a Jeepers paradise. Having a Jeep offers you an entire new off roading option for exploring this great country. On the other hand, if you just want the lowest cost option for transportation start cruising the RV parks and find someone who has a set up to tow vehicle for sale. You can often get the entire package for little more than the vehicle alone. Dollies or car hauler trailers may be easier to set up but are a PITA when you get where you are going.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 08:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by uchu View Post
Easiest, yes. Least expensive...Nope.

By the time you factor in base plate, brake control, etc...You are way ahead in expenses, compared to a dolly.
Agree…we dollied for 3 years with an American Car Dolly - manufactured in Colorado for about $1,700. I got tired of the time involved in loading the car on the dolly, not to mention being covered with sweat and getting dirty every time. So, I just installed the diode wiring, battery charger, fuse bypass switch and base plate plus I bought the Brake Buddy Select 3 and Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain tow bar. I have at least $2,800 into this setup, not including labor since I did the install myself - quite a bit more than my dolly!!
Wacdmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 10:53 AM   #21

But slowly eroded cost overage by the fact many places you can't keep a dolly at your site and have to pay for storage of pick a different campsite that may cost more in different ways.
Psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 12:29 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacdmc View Post
Agree…we dollied for 3 years with an American Car Dolly - manufactured in Colorado for about $1,700. I got tired of the time involved in loading the car on the dolly, not to mention being covered with sweat and getting dirty every time. So, I just installed the diode wiring, battery charger, fuse bypass switch and base plate plus I bought the Brake Buddy Select 3 and Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain tow bar. I have at least $2,800 into this setup, not including labor since I did the install myself - quite a bit more than my dolly!!
We had a dolly for years and also found it to be such a hassle that we sold our toad that had to be trailered and bought a toad that was already setup for flat towing. I was reluctant at the time to make the change due to the extra cost but looking back after several years I am glad I did because the entire process is so much easier.
2007 Newmar Baystar; 3201; SumoSprings Front; Timbren Springs Rear; Safe-T-Plus; 2016 Fiat 500; Roadmaster Falcon 2;Demco SBS DUO Braking System;TST 507; Bilstein shocks; Garmin RV 785; Supersteer Rear Trac Bar, Thule Easyfold XT2,RVWhisper
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 12:38 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Flat towing a 2015 Ford Equinox. Was the wife's car before we even considered RVing and towing. Got lucky that the 2015 was approved for flat towing. Using Blue Ox. Didn't originally get a brake system but we are now planning on much bigger trips. Installing an Air Force 1 brake system next week.
RVStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 01:22 PM   #24

I set up our flat tow system on the super cheap and wouldn't do it any other way. I have a 31" Coachmen class A and pull a 97 Jeep Wrangler. Cant even tell it's behind me. I've pulled trailers and tow dollies for years and will never go back.

The Jeep was my sons college car and you can pick them up super cheap. Since it is a manual and has a manual transfer case all you do is take it out of gear and put the transfer case in nutral to tow it. I found someone who had a complete tow fleetmaster tow set up including the mounts, bar and a brake robot for sale used and bought it all for about $400. The only other thing I needed to do was install a light adapter and 20 amp lighter socket. The only bad thing about flat towing is that you can't back up with the toad. Who wants to anyway. My whole tow rig only weighs about 2800lbs
Old 03-21-2022, 01:41 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have dolly towed the DW's car from Colorado to Florida and back 4 times now and never had an issue.
Started with a "Car Tow Dolly" on the first trip, but got tired of seeing the skid marks in the gas stations when a sharp turn is necessary.
Switched to a "Master Tow Dolly" with car sized tires and a swivel plate, and integral loading ramps, and this one works MUCH better. Found it on "Craig's" list for $600.00
Mike in Colorado
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	702.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	359885  
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 02:41 PM   #26

I've towed lots of flat tows over the years. my Favorite choice is Jeep. Right now I two a jeep Cherokee and its super easy.
TonyinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 02:48 PM   #27

You have a lot of pulling power so anything will work. I flat tow my 4x4 Nissan Frontier with rear drive shaft disconnect.
Mr Taxpayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 02:49 PM   #28

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Jayco Owners Club
We started out with a double axle trailer (everybody we talked to said that was the best) but you have to make sure you have a very large campsite to store the MH and the trailer. We then bought a new tow dolly and never could get the straps to stay tight....too much stress stopping every 45 minutes or so to tighten one or the other. Now we flat tow my wife's 2018 Chevrolet Equinox. Other than having to get a trickle charger installed for the battery, everything works fantastic...and easy. We have a Blue Ox system with their brake unit. So far, so good. Happy camping.
Marshalone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, toads