Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2022, 08:38 PM   #57

Smile Toad

We’ve only been full timing for 2 years. My personal vehicle was a 2006 Chevy Suburban 4 WD. which we decided to use for our Toad. Because I’m a tool man wanting to carry everything and have anything I might need. It’s heavy but gives me plenty of dry storage space.
My 2006 Monaco with the 350 HP Navistar has adequate power. I’m sure my fuel usage is a bit higher but hopefully I’ll be prepared.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2022, 08:42 PM   #58

We flat towed a Jeep Sahara for 8 years. Last year we bought a Ram 1500 and have rigged it as our toad starting this year.
bhammond1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 09:10 PM   #59

Ranger with Blue Ox tow bar

We tow our 2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 using a blue ox tow bar and MG braking system. Easy to hookup and unhook
Old 03-24-2022, 09:13 PM   #60

I travel with a touring motorcycle on a lift on the back of my DP - I have a bicycle for getting around campgrounds and in 8 years I've had to rent a car once, and called an Uber twice. Where do they come up with these names? Without a towed vehicle I am able to back up ... hard to quantify how handy that has been.
PeterFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 09:16 PM   #61

After doing whatever with transfer case, transmission locking, one last thing to remember when setting up your 'toad' for being towed! Leave the key in the ignition, if required, and UNLOCK the damn steering column! Don't ask why I say this!
mogul264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 09:30 PM   #62

We flat tow a 2016 F150 3.5 Ecoboost 4X4, we use the Demco Stay and Play braking system
behind a 2005 Alpine 36' FDDS with a 400 HP 1200 ft lbs,

it takes about 10 minutes to hook up

the F150 has to be a 4X4 as the transfer case and transmission are placed in neutral.

safe travels.
Old 03-24-2022, 10:16 PM   #63

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKO View Post
We now tow a 2019 GMC Canyon 4WD. It has a transfer case that can be put in neutral. We put a shell over the bed. We carry the wheel chair and walker in the truck bed.
I’m sure there are many other ideas out there too.
Good luck in your search
Sounds like us. We have the Canyon twin, a Chevy Colorado. We also have a shell over the bed and carry DW's battery powered scooters she uses since she is disabled. We also carry a honey wagon (which I hope to NEVER use) and an unmounted spare for the MH. Unfortunately, the truck is pretty heavy empty so were are about 200 lbs. over the 5000 lb. limit of our MH. We're shopping and will fix that with our next MH. I also carry some lightweight bulky and odd shaped items. The big bed of the pickup is great for that and my shell has side windows that open.

I have a brake buddy powered by a deep cycle 12V battery for brakes. I also installed a kit (using diodes?) so the truck tail lights work off the trailer electrical hookup on the MH. I installed the baseplate myself on the Colorado. I watched an installation video on etailer.com a couple of times then used the printed instructions during the actual installation. It was more tedious than hard because of all the trim screws that had to be removed.
permitwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 10:46 PM   #64

Q -- What do you have?
A -- 1996 Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle towing a 1995 Dodge Cummins 2500 4x4.
Q -- What are your thoughts?
A -- After twenty-four months twenty-four thousand miles around South America, then to Alaska, Panama, all over North and Central America, with nearly two decades full-time live-aboard, we are pretty sure we made the right decision... for us.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 12:04 AM   #65

Flat tow, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid FWD. Pulls like a DREAM, me & 84 year young Mom pulled behind a 2018 Tiffin Allegro Red, easy peasy, it has a "Tow Neutral" setting that is a breeze to set before hitting the road. Roadmaster with the Demco Air Force One brake system connected to the diesel air brakes. GREAT car for short hops around local areas, I get over 42 mpg. My trusted mechanic said to stay away from Jeep products currently. Mom has owned 4 motorhomes and she would only flat tow. The hybrid Escape FWD is ONLY Escape approved by Ford as a toad (I have a friend who is a Ford dealer & he pulled up all the data). Many posts in forums say the AWD version works as well, and they may, but not Ford approved. I am no longer on the forums much as after a motorcycle accident last Sept as I can't handle our 39' beauty with all the trimmings. Blessings to all who are on the road, we met so many AMAZING friends in campgrounds & Harvest Hosts across the country!! :-). LIVE FREE!!!
Inn4Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 07:03 AM   #66

Our third tow car we got last year for our 04 Monaco LaPalma is a 2019 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium
I drive it every day at home also (40 mpg)
1st Saturn Vue
2nd Ford Focus
Rich H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 07:52 AM   #67

Tiffin Owners Club
You're going to get a lot of opinions here, mine is free and you get what you pay for.
1. Flat tow. Forget the dolly concept.
2. For braking system, use the M&G Engineering brake. Best design and warranty out there.
3. Decide what size vehicle you want to take on the road. Be comfortable. Your Phaeton will pull just about anything just fine. We pull a RAM 1500 4x4, spacious, comfortable, can climb mountain unpaved roads well. Not a Jeep, but doesn't break your teeth either.
4. Forget about "backing up" issues. In 11 years we had to back up once, at a big box diesel fuel stop where the trucker ahead of us disappeared into the store. In emergency you can back the toad slowly if your partner will hold the toad steering wheel straight.

For lots of reasons, I highly recommend the pickup truck solution, and I have to say our 2 Labs love the ride and comfort as well!
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 08:14 AM   #68

We flat tow a Jeep Cherokee. One thing to be aware of is that not all toad vehicles allow for the battery to be charged while on the road. I've seen on the forums where people have to run their toad at gas stops for 20 mins to recharge the battery because of the drain from the lights.

We use BlueOx and have not had any issues flat towing the Cherokee.
nmorgan997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 08:31 AM   #69

Newmar Owners Club
We did the no toad for a while and was too limiting now we flat tow a Lincoln Nautilus and life is good.
Firefly 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 08:38 AM   #70

Ford Super Duty Owner
Talking Flat tow Crv

Del,
We been towing a CRV with excellent results.Our first trip from North Carolina to Texas we decided to rent a car, not a pleasant idea.
Upon getting home we found a clean Honda CRV and set up the Blue ox tow bar.
I did the complete install myself, super easy, no special tools or lifts required.
We opted for Blue Ox Patriot e brake, easy setup.
The people from E Trailer were a go to resource for everything, their on line tutorials, U Tube, we’re very helpful.
I cannot tell you how over the top, E Trailers customer service has treated us.
2019 Entegra Vision
2006 Honda CRV
Your friend from UC,NJ.
Anthony Lawlor
Tlmr4784 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, toads