Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-04-2022, 06:12 PM   #1

Toads and EZpass transponders

Planning our first major trip since getting our "new" class A two years ago. Mostly have been doing shorter trips since then. Going from Pa to Mississippi and looking for a toll pass transponder to use. Ez pass is most prevalent on east coast so I was looking at NC ezpass transponder which seems to have lowest cost and minimal fees. Will be towing though and will want one for Toad when sight seeing.

Any recommendations? I saw the FL has a portable UNI One Toll that is not to pricey. Website says you can move it from MH to toad to use, but how does that work if you register both the MH and toad on same account. Will you get the full charge when just using the toad? Or do they sense the number of axels at the toll plaza?

Saw a post previously about getting two and using a shield bag for the toad transponder when towing. Just wondering if any one is using just one and switching it between MH an toad

Thanks
Dave
dstewart1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2022, 07:48 PM   #2

I signed up for ez pass out of NY. I got 4 of them. They are kind of unique to each vehicle. On the back of the RV one it says something like “2 axles 6 wheels” something like that. I think the ones for the cars are pretty much interchangeable but all the cars are listed on the account. They sent me the bags to put them in if you don’t want them to get read. I keep the toad one in the bag in the toad. Only the RV one registers when I go through and they make the rate adjustment for the toad. I recently ran from CT to Georgia and didn’t have any tolling problems.
RangerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 07:53 PM   #3

We have the SunPass Pro from Florida that covers all of the east coast EZ Pass and Florida Sun Pass roads. It doesn’t cover Texas (they have their own version). The motor home pass is usually labeled for motor homes. We were instructed to have our regular vehicle one in the toad as well.
Old 02-05-2022, 01:43 PM   #4
jrs

I recommend going with Florida's E-Pass (covers Florida's systems and all of the EZ-Pass States with no charges for not using. We have the transponders for both the rig and toad.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 01:56 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
EZ Pass

I also am from PA. I have an EZ Pass for the MH and one for the toad (The toad EZ Pass also covers 2 other vehicles.) I have not had a problem when traveling out-of-state. It seems most toll roads will photograph your license plate and bill you if you lack the proper tolling device for a particular jurisdiction.
Kjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 02:52 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Toads and ezpass transponders

My E-PASS (Florida ) now called uni is “registered” to the toads plate. I move it to the mh window and it charges correctly for the mh and toad combo but I haven’t been in “every “ state. I have never registered the motorhome with a transponder. What is supposed to be done I have no idea .. it works for me.
UNI is a one time purchase around 15 bucks and I maintain about 20 bucks in the “account” with auto replenish in 20$ increments from a points back credit card. No monthly or any other fees and it works everywhere in the East.
No need to overthink these things
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 04:27 PM   #7

I use my PA EZpass that I have had since when PA started EZpass. I have both cars and the coach on the account. I get billed the correct class no mater what vehicle it's in. That say you need specially coded ones for a MH but it appears unnecessary. Only fee is $3 annual.
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 06:03 PM   #8

Do you just put the toad transponder in a bag so it doesnt read when going thru tolling plaza?

Thanks
Dave
Old 02-05-2022, 06:08 PM   #9

Thanks

That is what i am thinking of doing. Fl ezpass (uni now) is cheaper to purchase and maintain that Pa.'s.

Dave
Old 02-05-2022, 06:36 PM   #10

Toads and EZpass transponders

We have two transponders but take only one with us when in the RV. Because PA EZpass allows you to register your vehicles tags we simply move the transponder to the toad when using it.

I would figure if I have a second transponder on the toad while towing it would register as two vehicles / tolls. The foil packages should prevent a second toll when not in use.
Sparky19053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 04:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrueth View Post
We have two transponders but take only one with us when in the RV. Because PA EZpass allows you to register your vehicles tags we simply move the transponder to the toad when using it.

I would figure if I have a second transponder on the toad while towing it would register as two vehicles / tolls. The foil packages should prevent a second toll when not in use.
Good tip...Use the foil bag it came in or wrap in aluminum foil....regular cloth or cardboard may not suffice.

We used to chase emergency locator beacons that people tossed in their back seat and drove down the highway....now the recommendation is a tin foil wrap.
Psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 06:58 PM   #12

I am in NJ and have E-ZPass. What I am not sure about: is there a price difference when going through a toll if both the RV and the toad have transponders in them vs not having one in the toad.

31ft Dutchmen Royal Classic
Rob Hentges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 08:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Hentges View Post
I am in NJ and have E-ZPass. What I am not sure about: is there a price difference when going through a toll if both the RV and the toad have transponders in them vs not having one in the toad.
What I have heard is that if both RV and toad have transponders then both transponders will be charged. The problem is that the RV transponder will be charged extra for the towed vehicle and the toad will also be charged. When I recently came through NJ/NY with my RV and toad, we wrapped the toad transponder in foil and put it in the glovebox. My EZ pass account shows that the NYS Thruway charged me as a class 4H (high vehicle with 4 axles). The toad transponder wasn't charged. I didn't go on any NJ toll roads so can't say what would have happened there. Since I live in MA, I have the MA EZ-Pass because it gives me a discount on the Masspike.
dvspl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 08:04 AM   #14

Florida's UNI pass only works in 1 vehicle at a time, when changing vehicles open the app and enter the information of current vehicle, I remember most of the time.

I have had 3 PA Ezpass for 15 years, down to 1 PA and 1 UNI Pass, soon to be UNI only
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, toads