Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2021, 12:31 PM   #1

Toads and what type

All, I am miffed after looking at so many posts about towing a vehicle as a toad and still don’t get it.
I have seen a list of cars capable of being toad but if you all can weigh in on which ones are easiest, what to look for and where to buy/install would be helpful.
We are getting close to closing on our next rig that tows 10,000lbs, so no worries on vehicle weight. Just shocked that it seems a mystery and I see so many RV’s towing their vehicles four down.
Let me know and thanks in advance!
RVNVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2021, 12:39 PM   #2

For me and my needs...
I purchased an inexpensive, lightweight, manual transmission vehicle.

My ‘20 Chevy Spark Activ weighs just 2200#, has all the options, and cost less than $14k (before tax/license)

Very ez & simple to hook up
I’ve opted to tow without a special/expensive brake package since it’s as light as a utility trailer without brakes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DE9D1665-A835-4130-A9CE-634AC6E67E4C.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	425.7 KB
ID:	322706  
Old 03-26-2021, 12:39 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Jeep Wrangler or 2014 and older Honda CR-V are both easily towable. I've had both but traded the CR-V for the Jeep
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 01:23 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid automatic is now towable. My next toad, if my 07 Honda Accord ever wears out! Only 2 parts fixed in 14+ years.
Old 03-26-2021, 01:34 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
The 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid automatic is now towable. My next toad, if my 07 Honda Accord ever wears out! Only 2 parts fixed in 14+ years.
Interesting that the Escape is now. I bought a 2018 Fusion Hybrid, not as a Toad but because I loved the car. A little research showed me that it was rated one of the best small cars to tow. Even in the owners manual it gives exact, factory recommended procedures on how to tow it. Does the Escape manual also have that? I know the 2018 was not towable, due to the fact that it was 4 wheel drive.

That said, if you got the cash, nothing beats a jeep. I have a friend who just laid out $65,000 for a new Grand Cherokee. Out of my range but yeah.

Also, if you can find an old Saturn they are great. I had an 01 I towed 50,000 miles. But finding them is getting hard.

Also most of the small GM Delta platform cars are towable. And whatever the Travers is built on. You do have to pull the ignition fuse but I think that's it.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 03:22 PM   #6

Can you define easiest, do you mean:

1, tracks the best and easiest to pull, no max speed towing limitations.

2, least number of steps to set it up to be towed each time (flip switch, pull fuse, while foot on brake, push secret recessed button for 5 seconds, then shift into park, starting it and running through the gears every 200 miles, etc. vs putting it into neutral and drive off),

3, easiest to equip for flat towed duty, easiest base plate to install, if extra special flat tow wiring harnesses are needed, etc.

or a combination of all of the above?
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 04:51 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We love our Honda CRV! They are towable through the 2014 models!

I suggest that you create a signature showing the make and model of your RV. It will help folks to answer questions you may have in the future. Look at post #30 in the link below that tells you how to do that.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f62/foru...ml#post3101035

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 04:57 PM   #8

No trouble towing my F250 4 door. Electronic differential case easily unlocks. large bed gives me room for bikes etc. Makes for a great driver once I get to my destination. It's diesel so I can fill it up right after my RV.
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
For me and my needs...
I purchased an inexpensive, lightweight, manual transmission vehicle.

My ‘20 Chevy Spark Activ weighs just 2200#, has all the options, and cost less than $14k (before tax/license)

Very ez & simple to hook up
I’ve opted to tow without a special/expensive brake package since it’s as light as a utility trailer without brakes.

I bring along 2018, I never had a problem, I found out now I don’t even unhook the battery, but I also don’t have locking steering. I just have to put it in neutral and go. It’s not fancy it even has crank windows, but for 12,000 dollars out the door it is well worth it to me.
gljurczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 09:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNVA View Post
All, I am miffed after looking at so many posts about towing a vehicle as a toad and still don’t get it.
I have seen a list of cars capable of being toad but if you all can weigh in on which ones are easiest, what to look for and where to buy/install would be helpful.
We are getting close to closing on our next rig that tows 10,000lbs, so no worries on vehicle weight. Just shocked that it seems a mystery and I see so many RV’s towing their vehicles four down.
Let me know and thanks in advance!

I'm not sure what you mean by easiest. Least amount of work to install, least expensive way to go, least amount of things to do to prepare your toad to travel?
I tow a Toyota Yaris 4 door sedan 5 speed. I chose to use a Roadmaster base plate and tow bar. I had a local body shop install the base plate. I didn't disturb the car's wiring. I used a wiring kit that allowed me to put separate bulbs in the rear tail/brake lights. Simple hookup and no fuses to pull etc. I hope this helps.
OkieSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:04 PM   #11

We towed a 2006 Honda CRV for several years and loved it. It had AF1 braking system which is very easy to hook-up. Last year we upgraded size to a 2017 Ford Explorer. The brake system was easy to move over and we have a lot more passenger room and a much quieter ride.
Old 03-27-2021, 07:42 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
We tow a 2010 Ford Ranger or a 1937 SS100 kit car on a 1970 VW chassis.

Both super easy. Put in neutral, release park brake, unlock steering (in the Ranger) and drive away.

I use a Brake Buddy for the Ranger (3,500 pounds empty plus bicycles or motorcycle). The SS100 is only 1800 pounds, so no braking system.

Maybe the most popular is the Jeep. It's your money and choice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0312.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	322841   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3637.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	322842  

Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:46 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Currently we are towing a Jeep Trail Hawk. Very easy to setup and it give us a good 4 wheel drive to go exploring.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 10:17 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"RVNVA"....For everyone it's different. Some buy an old beater and use it just for towing behind an RV, not worrying too much about it.....not a bad way to go. Some can't afford an extra car, just for towing, and use one of their daily drivers. Others buy something like a Jeep that they can use off road and explore while camping.

For me, I don't want to have an extra vehicle around that I have to service, insure, park and maintain. I also want something that is a combination daily driver, toad and a vehicle I LIKE to drive. I've owned a truck since the first day I started driving and always will own a truck. Luckily, my coach can handle a heavy vehicle, so I look for trucks that are towable. GM, Dodge and Ford and Nissan all make trucks that are towable, they just need to be four wheel drive.

I've worked on both my cars and RV's, and cars and RV's belonging to friends and family, all my life, yet I've never owned a hot rod. So, whatever truck I buy, I customize it to some degree, making it my hot rod. My current, old man hot rod, is a Ford Raptor. It tows well behind my diesel pusher.

So......YOU need to decide what you want the toad to be and DO......daily driver, spare car, off road vehicle or hot rod. Essentially, they all take the same equipment to set them up for towing, base pate, tow bar, braking system and wiring for lights. Some are easier to put into neutral for towing and some take a few steps more. I'm owned six different toads, five trucks and one Honda CRV. All were reasonably easy to tow, when set up properly.

Unless you do a lot of the work yourself, setting up a toad can run between $2K and $3K. I use a braking system, Remco Air Force One, that is movable from vehicle to vehicle. The tow bar stay the same, so changing vehicles, basically requires new base plates and wiring.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, toads