Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2016, 01:46 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Toads - My Head Hurts

We are three months into this RV thing, the last hurdle for now.

Flat tow or dolly?

Pros & Cons??

We recently sold my wife's Lexus to get a vehicle that she likes and we can tow (must be 4x4), we ended up with a Jeep Cherokee Overland.

Now the problem; DW loves this vehicle and now doesn't know if she wants all the tow stuff added to it if she drives it daily...

So I've started thinking about a dolly, seems easy, not a bunch of stuff on the jeep, etc. but how much more effort do they take setting up, removing the car, storing the dolly, etc.

Or I can buy another car, which I don't want to really do.

Then I was offered a Jeep Wrangler with 77k miles ready to tow, has base plate, wired lights, break away switch (no brake included) for under $8,000. But... it has a salvage title, not sure how this really affects the little use it will get compared to a daily driven vehicle and how much can you loose, 7k? (BTW; this jeep looks great)

My head hurts....

Steve
StevL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2016, 01:59 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A lot of the vehicles that have salvage titles are from floods and been passed through several states to hide the cause. With all the computers in the car, it may show up later.
garyswann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:11 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Salvage title can be a bad thing, or not. Depends on what the problem or damage was. How well it was repaired. Etc. There may get done risk, but you are getting a reduced price as well.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:14 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevL View Post
We are three months into this RV thing, the last hurdle for now.

Flat tow or dolly?

Pros & Cons??

We recently sold my wife's Lexus to get a vehicle that she likes and we can tow (must be 4x4), we ended up with a Jeep Cherokee Overland.

Now the problem; DW loves this vehicle and now doesn't know if she wants all the tow stuff added to it if she drives it daily...

So I've started thinking about a dolly, seems easy, not a bunch of stuff on the jeep, etc. but how much more effort do they take setting up, removing the car, storing the dolly, etc.

Or I can buy another car, which I don't want to really do.

Then I was offered a Jeep Wrangler with 77k miles ready to tow, has base plate, wired lights, break away switch (no brake included) for under $8,000. But... it has a salvage title, not sure how this really affects the little use it will get compared to a daily driven vehicle and how much can you loose, 7k? (BTW; this jeep looks great)

My head hurts....

Steve

Here's what happened to an acquaintance when he tried to load his toad on his dolly. When he got back to his S&B, he sold his dolly & his car & bought a 4-wheel down toad, set it up for towing & never looked back:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1468440800.171265.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	132920Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1468440867.609607.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	132921

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottish Terrier)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad
Remco Lube Pump
5 Star Tune
Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C
Coach Net Emergency Road Service
FMCA 378968
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:15 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The base plate and stuff will barely be noticeable if installed on the new Cherokee. Our Jeep toad is my hubby's daily driver.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. View Post
Here's what happened to an acquaintance when he tried to load his toad on his dolly. When he got back to his S&B, he sold his dolly & his car & bought a 4-wheel down toad, set it up for towing & never looked back:

Attachment 132920Attachment 132921

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottish Terrier)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad
Remco Lube Pump
5 Star Tune
Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C
Coach Net Emergency Road Service
FMCA 378968
WOW!
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:17 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Not sure what 'stuff' your talking about.

Our toad has two little rectangular covers, that hide everything when the car isn't being towed. They look like two foglight covers. Thats it!
Old 07-13-2016, 02:25 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post

Our toad has two little rectangular covers, that hide everything when the car isn't being towed. They look like two foglight covers. Thats it!
The two attachment points, the brake away switch, and the 6 pin lighting connector.

Just wish we saw a 14 - 16 Cherokee set up for towing in person. Passed one going the opposite way on the interstate, for a brief moment I thought about hitting the median and chasing him down, then common sense set in.

Steve
Old 07-13-2016, 02:41 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have two toads, both have Blue ox Baseplates with removable tabs and SMI stay and play under the drivers seats and you wouldn't know it if I didn't tell you! What stuff?4 down is the way!

Damdannyboy
Old 07-13-2016, 02:42 PM   #10

Paint any of the bits that aren't already black with black paint and you'll hardly notice them.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:45 PM   #11

StevL,
Well Sir, with absolutely no offence to your wife, she's overthinking and, over worried about what this "extra stuff" might entail. The companies that have designed and built these modern day base plates, have taken into account, that many of these toads, as in your case, a Grand Cherokee Overland, (We've had two Overland Cherokees), are really nice looking cars/SUVs and more, so they've done their best on concealing all the components needed for them to be a toad.

If your Grand is authorized by the manufacturer to be flat towed, then you already have one and you certainly don't need to mess with another Jeep with a JUNK title. I personally wouldn't touch a salvage title if you paid me to. Anyway, I've done many base plate installs and, with proper care and technique, in the end, you can have that GRAND Overland, looking as good after that base plate install, as it did prior.

I used to use the Ready Brake system as an auxiliary braking system. Ready brake instructs one to PERMANENTLY attach the cable to the brake pedal. Well, if that isn't the most hideous thing I've ever seen or, heard being suggested. So, I set ours up so it was hidden, until it came time to tow. Then, when hookup time came, the wife pulled the cable from under the floor mat and, clipped it onto the brake arm, DONE!

The front part, near the grill, was also hidden until it came time for hookup, then it came out and was hooked up.

The point is, yes all that "Stuff" can be installed correctly and, indiscreetly. And, that includes the light wiring too. If you take a look at the pics of one of our present toads, an '11 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended Cab, you'll see that you need to almost "look for" the tow components, in the front end. They are not obnoxious at all.
Scott

P.S. Keep in mind, this is just an example of what your Grand could look like. You can only HIDE those components so much. They must be functional and strong too. In the last picture, you see the pig tail female plug on the right and, the Ready Brake cable tip, in the center. If I was really anal about hiding them, I should have painted both a flat black. Then you REALLY would have a hard time seeing them.

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:45 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thx for the replies and the great large photos!

We spent our evening after dinner riding through a local rv park checking out the flat tow setups.

I think my DW may be coming around.....maybe.

Steve
Old 07-13-2016, 07:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post

Mine too. Can't even tell. But can't beat a jeep 4 down. Salvage title can mean a lot of things. Some good some bad.
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:32 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our Jeep Wrangler is the ideal TOAD in my book. 4 down, light weight and fun to drive off the road. Avoid a salvaged vehicle. You're never quite sure what you're getting into. JHMO
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, toads