Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2020, 03:19 PM   #15
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenZ71 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to live on the edge and let the Toad license plate be dark.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2020, 04:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenZ71 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to live on the edge and let the Toad license plate be dark.

"Live on the edge", Ha! All you have to do is drive ANYWHERE in the U.S. in the evening and see how many tail lights, brake lights, turn signals (if anyone uses those anymore), third brake lights, head lights, license plate lights, marker lights and anything else are not working. AND then there's TRAILERS! the wife and I see sooooooo many trailers, i.e. travel, 5th wheel, cargo, utility, flatbed, car hauler, junk, and more, with NO LIGHTS AT ALL working. We've seen LEO sitting behind trailers with no lights working (stopped at a stop light in the evening) and go right on by.

So, a motorhome towing a toad with a license plate light out, is pretty much not gonna attract very much attention.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 05:14 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When we had a Ford Focus the license plate light was not lit either. Most are so small and dim you would have to be very close to see it anyway. I never have worried about it and and have never had a problem.
Old 11-18-2020, 05:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
In Washington State, they make us buy new license plates every so many years.
Not since 2015...

And not to hijack this thread, but TJDave, what tow bar do you use with your JT?
Old 11-18-2020, 07:06 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_D View Post
Not since 2015...

And not to hijack this thread, but TJDave, what tow bar do you use with your JT?

2015? Shows how much I pay attention!

I towed it with my old Blue Ox Aventa II for a couple trips, and noticed how loose and sloppy it became. Discontinued design and I bought it used years ago to tow the 2dr JK.
I was concerned towing a brand new rig. So, I bought a new Blue Ox Avail at the beginning of summer. Both are rated for 10,000#. The JT tows great.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:23 PM   #20

We just bought a 2021 Cherokee Trailhawk and I installed the baseplate, Air Force one braking system and lighting recently. The Cherokee taillights located in the easily removable light assemblies are easily dioded to light the OUTSIDE taillight sections but not the extended taillight sections located in the rear door. Each of those rear door taillight sections has a separate wire feeding it, and the license plate light is yet another separate wire. I had 4 diodes on hand so I hooked up the door taillight sections as well but not the license plate light. I may add a diode set there when I get a chance. There are about 15 to 20 separate wires up at the rubber boot at the top entry to the door. What a bear to separate and find the actual wires.

Blu/wht is license plate light. Left taillight in door is yel/wht and right taillight in door is gray/wht as I recall.

I ran an extra brown taillight feed wire from the left taillight assembly up to the boot at the top of the rear door.

I would think though that as long as the coach license plate is illuminated that all should be OK.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:31 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmullen View Post
I would think though that as long as the coach license plate is illuminated that all should be OK.
IF you can see it around the toad...
Old 11-18-2020, 11:31 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmullen View Post
We just bought a 2021 Cherokee Trailhawk and I installed the baseplate, Air Force one braking system and lighting recently. The Cherokee taillights located in the easily removable light assemblies are easily dioded to light the OUTSIDE taillight sections but not the extended taillight sections located in the rear door. Each of those rear door taillight sections has a separate wire feeding it, and the license plate light is yet another separate wire. I had 4 diodes on hand so I hooked up the door taillight sections as well but not the license plate light. I may add a diode set there when I get a chance. There are about 15 to 20 separate wires up at the rubber boot at the top entry to the door. What a bear to separate and find the actual wires.

Blu/wht is license plate light. Left taillight in door is yel/wht and right taillight in door is gray/wht as I recall.

I ran an extra brown taillight feed wire from the left taillight assembly up to the boot at the top of the rear door.

Well,
According to just about every motor vehicle manual for any and all states, and or, DOT set of specs for the nation, If a vehicle/trailer is to be used on the road, and, it has a license plate, that plate is to be lit at night, in short. Now, while it may be a written statute or law, that doesn't mean folks *always* comply.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 11:48 PM   #23

I only have the brakes and turn signals wired on our Jeep toad. When I do tow at night, I simply pull the switch in the Jeep one click to turn on its parking lights. This of course, illuminates the tail and license plate lights. Not much draw so I can drive for hours this way without running the Jeep's battery down.

Tags
light, lights, toad, toads