Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2020, 06:06 PM   #1

Toads - what lights should be lit at night?

Just setup my Cherokee as a Toad curious which lights should be on while towing.

Tails, Brakes & blinkers work. Yippee!

What about Toad license plate? Would think that should be illuminated as well but it don't seem to be. Should I worry?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2020, 06:13 PM   #2

The license plate light wasn't included in my hook up either , and 10 years in I haven't run into a situation where a LEO has said anything .

But maybe I've just been lucky .
Old 11-13-2020, 06:13 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenZ71 View Post
Just setup my Cherokee as a Toad curious which lights should be on while towing.

Tails, Brakes & blinkers work. Yippee!

What about Toad license plate? Would think that should be illuminated as well but it don't seem to be. Should I worry?
Good question, I rarely ever drive at night. But I don't think the license plate is illuminated. I guess we'll both learn something.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 06:22 PM   #4
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8253 View Post
Good question, I rarely ever drive at night. But I don't think the license plate is illuminated. I guess we'll both learn something.
If the running lights are lit, wouldn't the light the plate? I've never checked mine.

Ray
Old 11-13-2020, 06:43 PM   #5

If you used a diode kit, it may be wired after the plate light junction point.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 06:49 PM   #6

Depends on how you’re lighting your toad. If it’s wired with separate bulbs in each tail light, independent of the actual wiring of the vehicle (in your case a Jeep) then no, you’re license plate will not be lit.

Like someone else said......never been pulled over because mine is not.
Don’t trailer that often at night anyway.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 08:13 PM   #7

As a teen driver my 1st run in with the law was for no lights on my car's license plate. Turns out the bulb shorted & burned through the housing. New bulb and a bit of bubble gum fixed it for the next 4 years I had the car.

So I'm always worried about license plate lights now. No lights on the front of the toad only the OEM bulbs on the rear which were lit up.
Old 11-14-2020, 09:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If you used a diode kit, it may be wired after the plate light junction point.
This^^.

Typically, the harness from the coach is tapped into the Jeep wires for the rear running/brake lights after the junction for the plate light. The diode kit prevents the current from the coach harness from travelling "backward" toward the junction and into the plate light.

My 2007 Wrangler has very easy access to the coach harness connections, which are behind the left rear light fixture. Though I have not checked to see if my plate light works, if it doesn't, it would be likely be easy to move the harness connection back before the split-off for the plate light, or move the split-off "forward" of the harness/diode connection. Like others, I don't drive at night so I don't know if my plate light functions when under tow.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 10:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenZ71 View Post
As a teen driver my 1st run in with the law was for no lights on my car's license plate. Turns out the bulb shorted & burned through the housing. New bulb and a bit of bubble gum fixed it for the next 4 years I had the car.

So I'm always worried about license plate lights now. No lights on the front of the toad only the OEM bulbs on the rear which were lit up.
Wow,
An LEO that had absolutely NOTHING BETTER TO DO than worry about a license plate light, man, talk about bored. Annnnnnyway, I've wired a few zillion toads, mostly Jeeps of all years and models of Wranglers and, to tell ya the truth, even as many as I've wired, I can't remember if the plate light lights up or not. If not, oh well.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 10:41 AM   #10

Technically the license plate light should be lit.

I know its part of NY, NJ state safety inspection.

I have different tail lights on my trailers, one with a clear bottom, to light the license plate.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 11:00 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
On my first toad, 2004 Wrangler TJ, the license plate is lit by a clear lens on the bottom of the driver's side tail light. So, it would have lit up if I used a light harness. But, I used magnetic lights.
The 2016 Wrangler had its own light on the license plate frame, so no license light on using the Hopkins kit.
The current 2020 Jeep Gladiator toad has license plate lights in the bumper. I'm pretty sure they don't turn on with the Cooltech kit I am using.
I have never been stopped or checked on any of them in all the years flat towing. But like mentioned above, we rarely travel at night.
In Washington State, they make us buy new license plates every so many years. 5 or 7, I forget. This is a newer law, they say it is due to the plates reflective coating wearing out. Sure it is. If they are going to make me buy new plates, so they can reflect light and been seen at night, I'm not going to wire an extra light!
Old 11-14-2020, 05:49 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
When you think about it, almost all trailers have their license plate attached to a combo taillight/license plate bracket with a clear lens on the underside of the taillight. Technically, you're suppose to have an illuminated license plate, but have never seen it enforced.

When you run separate diodes or the diode one box kit, they attach directly at the taillight bulb, so no feed to the license plate bulbs. You could simply one an additional diode to the bulb if you're concerned.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 06:17 PM   #13

If I recall correctly, a towed vehicle with two wheels off the ground does (or did) not require a license plate in NY, so it's hard to imagine that the light would be required. I have not checked into whether that works for toads on toll roads. Sigh. Something else to follow up, I guess, if I want to drive in the dark.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 07:35 PM   #14

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to live on the edge and let the Toad license plate be dark.

Tags
light, lights, toad, toads