Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2016, 12:20 AM   #1

Total mobile rig setup

First off my base camp or home base consists of a 2008 Ford F-350 superduty tow vehicle with a 2006 KZ Sportsman New Vision 40' toy hauler. The shop is about 10' long and has a stacked washer dryer in the back near the opening was there when I bought the rig used.

My mobile rig was purchased in this order( nor is he best way to go).

First I had a custom enclosed trailer built. It's a 20' V nose it HS insulated top bottom and sides. AC roof unit with heat strip. Generator bay with old camping world generators he inoperable from sitting too long. Dolor system is also installed except I haven't gooten around for installing the older 1k inverter that I've had since 2002. Led lights crew door and vehicle every ramp are the only egresses. The gen area make for a nice counter. The idea is with a cot sleeping bag and couple comforts I could use it for overnight and weekend trips.

Next comes the next purchase.

A 2015 Polaris Ranger ETX utv. It will fit beside the counter, getting out might become a matter of will in this position. From reading the owners manual and Polaris web site the Ranger takes up 110" leaving approximately 130" for a car or street legal vehicle. I've done my research and there are three vehicles that will fit in the reamaining area. Two are fairly easy find a smart car (which I'm looking at one from 2008 but IRS red) the other is a sion which is a little long than the smart car. Haven't seen one in real life. So I doubt it will get the vote. I've done some indept research and some older jeep Cherokee-5 will work but it will be a shoe horn fit.

Next I got the tow cehicle for the trailer when we go on long trips either time wise or distance. I got a 2008 jayco Seneca 35GS on a Chevy 5500 frame. It has three slides the living room /dinet, the sofa, and the bed in back. I really like the layout real open in the living room with both slides out. Shower is just large enought. By my count two to three can sleep in the loft over the driving area. Two can sleep on the sofa bed since it's a queen pullout, two can sleep on the dinet, and two can sleep in the queen bed in the master Ed room. Two mor could sleep on the floor in the kitchen and one poor soul could sleep in the recliner. Spring break accomadations like when I graduated high school would put two more in the driving seats and three more in around rhe master bed because I woke up in someone's hotel room between the bed and the wall. My actual occupancy number. Will prolly max out at eight at max and four the most normally.

So at this point I figured it stop load up on the way in, stop and dump everything, fill tanks water, fuel, and propane then head to the range for the match. If I need to go somewhere locally at the event I got the ranger. Which I'm gonna have to look in to each state and see what will be required to use it as a go for vehicle on the non hi way roads or I'll need to get a rental car for a day or two. As that's exspensive but thr range is more accepted there. Nm ranger is sold as off road vehicle and under nm law it can only cross them not go down them even from one trail head to the next. But if it passes that might change .

So either a rental car or buy a smart car or sion. Smart car is winning its got several plus in my book in general. I looked at one today and it looked to be well kept for its age and mileage which was 66k+. I've had very bad luck with red vehicles wrecked everyone I owned. Plus I read the motor may need rebuilding soon as it had a frequent need of rebuilding at about half the norm life cycle and most consider 100k for gas engines.the plastids piece Behring the driver door is fracking paint. I've gotten them down to about where I want them at this time a few more back and forth is will firm it up. I need to pause the sale until my fed tax return is deposited in my account so I can pay cash. But I have a back up avenue if needed. And they would rather fiancé the money so they get a kick back from the bank and I might let the if I can get that off my end.

So if I get this smart car after reading thru the owners manual for tie down and towing it says to use an eye no lt that should be stored under te passengers carpet floorboard. I only saw one in the photo but you have two front points for this bolt and two fear points to secure these bolts and that would be ideal for tying it down in the trailer for transport. Are they four bolts for those that have a smart car otr did you buy extra bolts? It says not to use the suspension for tying it down. It really doesn't look like there's a frame to try it down with.

Btw the ranger we use the push bar at the frame and the tow chain hooks on the receiver in the back.

Thanks for reading hogwash I got in this predicament. Not thinking fully to begin with plus some makers of nose trailers measures from the edge of the v and other move it back further because IV what they consider unusable space. I. Got the shorter measurement.

If you are in a similar situation what do you use?

If you are using a smart car. Three question for you. If not more that come later.

1) how do you tie it down to a trailer or do you flat tow or dolly tow it and how does it work?

2) what is you impression of the smart car for what it is used for as a vehicle to run erroneous with while away from base camp. Ie on the road with the motor home.

3) if you got an older one what problems have you had with it?

Tia.
Blackey Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2016, 11:54 PM   #2

Dang spell correction really screwed up the post I might go and edit it later.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:23 PM   #3

Well got a great deal on the smart car. See how it goes this week.