Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2019, 04:53 PM   #15
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Do you have a light on the coach dash that lights up when the toad brake is applied? That little wire could be for that if you do.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2019, 05:06 PM   #16

Dude, I believe your pin is installed incorrectly. Flip it.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2824.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	237718
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
Dude, I believe your pin is installed incorrectly. Flip it.Attachment 237718
Nailed it. That pin is upside down and needs to be corrected immediately.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:24 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sometimes people install a separate charge line. If it attaches to a removable pin on front of the car, it’s a breakaway cable. If it goes to the battery, then It’s a charge line. Anyway, that’s where I would look.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:29 PM   #19

And i seriously doubt that the thin black wire is a break-a-way.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
And i seriously doubt that the thin black wire is a break-a-way.
Yep. I agree. I think the black line would be the brake indicator light on the dash of the motorhome.

I think the red coiled line is the breakaway.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:49 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Yes, we fixed the pin in the right way and yes we have a light on the dash of the motor home now so that black wire must be about that. Should we thread it through the arm of the tow bar to protect it a bit or just leave it alone?
RoamerDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:53 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamerDFW View Post
Yes, we fixed the pin in the right way and yes we have a light on the dash of the motor home now so that black wire must be about that. Should we thread it through the arm of the tow bar to protect it a bit or just leave it alone?
Yes, I would thread the black wire through the arm because it will offer a much cleaner look and more protection for the wire. It's not absolutely necessary but it will look cleaner for sure.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:53 PM   #23

I don’t think it really matters. The wire should not get any wear where it is. You could always get some split Loom tubing or something similar to put the wire inside it.

Also, you probably already did but check the rest of the pins. The locking ring always closes on the pin on the same side as the taper on the head of the pin. The ring should “snap” into place when closed.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:58 AM   #24

Quote:
We are total newbies and just outfitted our new jeep to be towed. We were shocked that there are rather delicate looking wiring from the braking system to the motorhome and that there are as many connected wiring. Do you typically take all of this apart and store locked up? We bought the Road master All terrain Falcon and the thing came with a little bag that can be left on when not in use. Is this safe to store with the wire things tugged in along side? Probably safer to take everything off but seems hard to get everything back in place for beginners....What do you do with your tow equipment while at a campground? What do you do with it while traveling and maybe leaving the mh for the day?
I think you have most of the questions figured out. The best advice I ever got was replace all those snap ring pins with LOCKS. You can buy a set of locks with one key that fits all of them. No one can steal parts of the hitch or play a dirty trick by removing one or loosening them.
Never know who will mess with your equipment in a parking lot or campground. What I do with my cables depends on where I am and for how long.
Good Luck!
John Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:13 AM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
I think you have most of the questions figured out. The best advice I ever got was replace all those snap ring pins with LOCKS. You can buy a set of locks with one key that fits all of them. No one can steal parts of the hitch or play a dirty trick by removing one or loosening them.
Never know who will mess with your equipment in a parking lot or campground. What I do with my cables depends on where I am and for how long.
Good Luck!
You might want to replace safety pins with small master locks. They come in a set of 2 or three. That way some nasty person can't sabotage you tow rig and it will always stay attached.[emoji317]
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:06 PM   #26

Just an observation. I always cross the safety cables so they create a cradle if a toad or trailer becomes disconnected for the hitch or tongue to fall on and prevent it from digging into the ground. I also use a "Protect-a-Tow" underneath everything to prevent stone damage to the toad.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:39 PM   #27

Quote:
We are total newbies and just outfitted our new jeep to be towed. We were shocked that there are rather delicate looking wiring from the braking system to the motorhome and that there are as many connected wiring. Do you typically take all of this apart and store locked up? We bought the Road master All terrain Falcon and the thing came with a little bag that can be left on when not in use. Is this safe to store with the wire things tugged in along side? Probably safer to take everything off but seems hard to get everything back in place for beginners....What do you do with your tow equipment while at a campground? What do you do with it while traveling and maybe leaving the mh for the day?
I've never even locked the front door or storage compartments on our motorhome. Guess I just have more faith in our fellow RVers. If I thought everything not tied down or locked up was going to get stolen I'd just stay home.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:55 PM   #28

The little black wire is for the light on your Motorhome dash that tells you the toad brakes are being applied. The break away cable will be coiled style, thin and likely wine colored. The big fat red cable is for lights.

The charge line will be in the fat red cable.