Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2017, 01:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMoot View Post
So, it's obvious I have some work to do:
- check the hitch as to what it will tow
- decide WHAT toad to purchase
- figure out what connection I have in the back
- determine if I can do the install
- decide which bank to rob to pay for all of this
- or....win the lottery
TriMoot, to be clear, it is not just the hitch rating that you need to check. You need to check the current weight of your loaded MH and see how much leeway you have left weight wise on your rig for towing a toad. Your MH has a GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) rating (weight limit for MH with all options, fuel, water, occupants, belongings, and any hitch weight).

Your MH also has a GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating). It's important to remember that the GCWR is not an actual measurement of the weight of a tow vehicle and a toad, but rather the combined maximum weight limit that the manufacturer has set for the two vehicles once attached.

In my case, my rig has a GVWR of 22k lbs, and a GCWR of 26k lbs. This means that if my rig is fully loaded with all options, fuel, water, belongings, people, dogs, and hitch weight and it weighs 22k lbs with all of this, then I am only rated to tow a 4k lbs toad (the difference between the current loaded GVWR and the rated GCWR). Even if my hitch is rated at 5k lbs (which it is), I can only pull a 4k lbs Toad. If I am pulling a Toad that weighs 4k-5k lbs, then I need to lose some of the carried weight on the MH (usually in the form of dumping some of the 80gal of fresh water and/or some personal items to get the GVWR down).

Your GVWR and GCWR stickers should be posted in your rig somewhere.

Regards.

Terry
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2017, 10:12 PM   #16

Thanks so much Terry! (I should have responded sooner). Very helpful info.
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:35 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Store : Remco

Remco will tell what cars can be towed and what you can do to make them towable if they don't come from the factory towable.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:36 PM   #18

Awesome, thanks.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:31 AM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Store : Remco
Remco will tell what cars can be towed and what you can do to make them towable if they don't come from the factory towable.
Thanks for the link. Very useful. I bookmarked it.

When I got into the moho business, I did so with the idea that I do not want to do a toad, but I may not have a reasonable option. And according to your link, my 2006 crv is towable 4-down. Still resisting .... Besides, I have always been told that touching a toad can cause warts!!!
Randm Musing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:34 PM   #20

The first thing is look in the manual to see if they say it is towable and what it takes to set it up for towing. If you are willing to do as they say than talk to a mechanic about any issues you can think about. You are correct to stay away from Jeep we bought a 2017 Grand Cherokee and could not stop the death wobble problem. We traded for a 2018 GMC Acadia and it is easier to tow than the Jeep. CHECK THE BOOK
jlr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 01:21 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr44 View Post
You are correct to stay away from Jeep we bought a 2017 Grand Cherokee and could not stop the death wobble problem. We traded for a 2018 GMC Acadia and it is easier to tow than the Jeep.
Thanks for the humor - I needed a laugh.

I researched the Jeep "death wobble" extensively before we bought a new '17 Wrangler to tow - I had to reconcile the few reports I've seen of that, and the sheer number of Jeeps I see being towed nowadays.

The "death wobble" exists, all right, but it happens when the towing setup is incorrect, or with Jeeps with worn out or damaged front end components. ANY automobile will exhibit steering issues if front-end maintenance or damage is ignored. Google "jeep death wobble" - you'll quickly see numerous returns like this:

If you don't want to watch the video, the explanation offered in it is:

"Our JK's case of death wobble was caused by 3 factors. The steering gear was loose, and in the footage, you can actually see the sector shaft moving side to side. The driver side front upper control arm bushing was damaged at the rear mount, caused by the heat from the exhaust pipe, which runs right next to the arm. The caster was also not in spec."

At least half, if not more than half, of the vehicles I see being towed behind motorhomes now are Jeep Wranglers - and I don't see any of them "wobbling".
fottip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 06:37 PM   #22

That's very helpful.
TOMPT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:28 PM   #23

Oh my GOSH! That is VERY SCARY! Wow!
Old 12-27-2017, 09:38 AM   #24

Try this link: Dinghy Towing | Motorhome Magazine, lots of helpful info. I'm in the same boat and am finding it very helpful.
Bearii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:04 PM   #25
doc

Appalachian Campers
Suggest you pick a list of possible candidates and then go to the internet and search for the owner's manual for each and then check for recreational towing. That will give you the answer you seek
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 03:16 PM   #26

We tow a Jeep Wrangler Sahara, ourselves, but prefer that as we don't stay on paved roads and like to get back to fishing, hiking and hunting areas. For paved Roads, Jeep is still good, but I'd also give strong consideration to CRV and manual transmission Subarus.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:05 PM   #27

Hmm, yeah... I have a 2000 Rodeo but it’s automatic, so I don’t believe you can tow it...BUT! Man can it climb rough roads! I’m thinking a CRV would be a good compromise, secure 4x4 with a smooth ride on normal roads.

Thanks again for everyone’s help!

Tags
toad, toads