Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2016, 09:36 AM   #1

Tow bar and braking system

Hi I ordered a 2016 DS 4018 and I bought a 2015 Jeep Rubicon what's the best tow bar and braking system to mate these units together? I would like to get your opinions?
Thanks
Austin Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2016, 10:26 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I am using SMI "Air Force One".

I like it because it is proportional and permanent. I don't have any extra steps or stuff to stow when I am not towing.

On my FJ60 it is barely noticeable in the passenger compartment and on many cars it would probably completely hidden.

It attaches under the dash and uses the power brake booster to assist in braking. This means it doesn't need to apply excessive force to the pedal.

For the tow bar I am using Blue Ox Aventa with a 10K capacity.

It works well and stows nicely.

I wish it would have a better way to see that the bars are locked out. As it is you have to see if you think the handles are high enough, it is a bit vague. I also wish they had an easy way of releasing tension, sometimes I have to wiggle the rig around a bit to get the bars released. This could be true for all tow bars.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:43 AM   #3

CruserEd,
Agree with your pick of equipment.
To release a bound up tow bar (I have been caught in situations with the toad almost in a full turn) have someone start the toad, with the park brake applied and turn the steering from side to side while you release the tow bar locks and pull the pins. Very easy and quick.

I wish it would have a better way to see that the bars are locked out. As it is you have to see if you think the handles are high enough, it is a bit vague. I also wish they had an easy way of releasing tension, sometimes I have to wiggle the rig around a bit to get the bars released. This could be true for all tow bars.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:52 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I was using the Blue Ox tow bars and Patriot system on my 2015 Rubicon. Works very nice. I just traded the Rubicon for a RAM 4X4 1500 and I'm using the same system there as well...also no issues.
macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 02:57 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
X3 on the advice from CruizerEd. Bullet proof setup.
SMI Stay in Play Duo is also good option, a little
easier install for us DIY folks.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 04:03 PM   #6

Thanks
Austin Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:11 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good suggestions above for brake android tow bar. As for the base plate, if you are going to get an aftermarket front bumper consider towing from its D-ring lugs or added brackets (Blue Ox has brackets you can add youths bumper, I use them so I can just leave my D-rings in place). If no aftermarket bumper in the plan then Currie makes a base plate that tucks up well.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizerEd View Post

I wish it would have a better way to see that the bars are locked out. As it is you have to see if you think the handles are high enough, it is a bit vague.
I used a permanent black marker to draw a line parallel to the locking handles when they were in the unlocked position. Once the handles pop up into the locked position, it is easy to tell they are locked as they no longer align with the black line.

Fred
Old 03-05-2016, 09:55 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
CruizerEd I used to have the same problem with the tension release of he tow bars. I had the unit serviced by Blue Ox at the Hershey RV show in Sept and it has made a world of difference.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:33 PM   #10

My Tiffin MH receiver is 2 5/8" higher than the baseplate mounting brackets on my wrangler. Should I invest in a 2.5" drop receiver?
Thanks....
16allegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:52 PM   #11

Blue Ox tow bar Patriot Brake
16allegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:17 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Did you measure that with the coach suspension aired up if you have an air suspension?
If not remeasure in driving configuration.
For my hitch the vehicle end could be no more than 4 inches lower than the coach.
So you should be OK.
If you are confident you aren't going to increase the ride height of the tow I might get the drop because it will be closer to ideal unless you are very close to the ground.
I suspect you will need to be very careful about draging, pinching, and getting high centered with that setup and the drop bar will increase those issues, so consider that.
I mounted my base plate high to avoid dragging but that compromises the looks by making it quite intrusive.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:05 AM   #13

I just purchased the blue ox tow bar. No base plate as i have a customer built bumper I built for less money than the base plate. Still trying to determine what braking to use but not really sure I have time for an installed one.
kb2ztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
CruserEd,
Agree with your pick of equipment.
To release a bound up tow bar (I have been caught in situations with the toad almost in a full turn) have someone start the toad, with the park brake applied and turn the steering from side to side while you release the tow bar locks and pull the pins. Very easy and quick.

dennis45
I have never had a problem releasing the tension on my Roadmaster All-Terrain tow bar.
Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories
Mel
'96 Safari, 146k miles, (132k miles towing)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow