Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #43
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If anyone has any more questions, feel free to ask me.

Also, please not on posts what the original date is and the current "bump" is. The original post was made in 2006. I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but things change, technology changes and along with the changes specifications change. So what was good in 2006 is good for 2006 equipment, and what is good for 2013 is good for 2013 equipment. If in doubt regarding a specific year, call the manufacturer and get their advice but please be specific about your question and the date of your equipment.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2014, 12:31 AM   #44

Wow! This is exactly the thread I've been looking for.

We just traded in our Class C Four Winds Siesta for a Class A Fleetwood Bounder. The height difference in the new setup is about 10". I've talked to my 'RV guy' about whether that would be a problem ( the angle between RV and toad)..and he's still looking into it.

It just kinda looks scary to me...that much of an angle.

I think I'm going to look for a 'drop hitch' somewhere anyway...
jmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:36 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Blue Ox has a number of incremented drop receivers which may help you. The magic number that you would like to achieve is 2" from the horizontal. It does not have to be perfectly flat. In my case, the 08-09 Saturn Vue while using a Blue Ox baseplate is within a 1/2" of horizontal with no drops.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:12 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartin View Post
I think I'm going to look for a 'drop hitch' somewhere anyway...
Right here --> www.rvupgrades.com
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:18 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Right here --> www.rvupgrades.com
Thanks! ...good prices too!
jmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:16 AM   #48

Smile 33.3 Palazzo Class A diesel with 14FordFiesta TOAD, BlueOX

Hi

A TOAD was a big deal for us, and we eventually found the 14FordFiesta to be a very, very easy vehicle to tow, and very light weight.
Our diesel Palazzo, with 10,000 tow rating certainly has no problem with the pull, and we don't even know the vehicle is behind us(other than seeing it in the rear view camera, of course!)

We use a blue ox baseplate, installed easily by a local auto accessories dealer - a blue ox wiring harness to run the lights from the MotorCoach back to the FIESTA tail lights - and an blue ox Alpha tow bar in our 2" receiver.
Now, since the Fiesta vehicle blue ox tow plate brings the front clips out at 23" in height, and our 2" receiver height comes out at about 14", we had to purchase a 8" receiver 'DROP' and use it upside-down as a way to bring the receiver height UP to within the 2-3" requirement for the tow bar vehicle clip height.(blue ox requires this)
We ALSO carry 4 bikes, which are mounted on a 2" bike rack integrated into a 2" receiver extension tube(off the shelf from Walmart).

The 8" drop is mounted from the coach first,
the bike receiver is mounted next,
and then the tow bar is mounted into the bike receiver hitch.

We've traveled over 2,500 miles - through mountains, steep declines, and many rough 'roads' through rv parks - and have never had any issues with the TOAD, the tow bar, or the bike rack.

Thankfully, of course. The TURNERS.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 06:51 AM   #49

We've now traveled over 18,000 miles with this TOAD setup - no problems -
even 'slammed on brakes' several times - no problems. nice : )
Thanks FORD and BLUEOX
Old 02-06-2015, 06:13 PM   #50

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Within the last year we changed motorhomes, then I added a Hydralift and now I got a new toad. All has been good until now. It looks like I will be needing a drop/rise hitch also. The Tour receiver is about 15-17inch, the new Canyon tabs are at 23inch, the old Toad was at 15inch. plus with the Hydralift and the higher hood on the truck having the drop/rise hitch it also adds a few inches in length on the receiver which will help on clearance.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:58 AM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sorry I am just starting to think about a toad but am confussed. Our toad will be a 2009 hyundai. I have several question about the pros and cons of towing but will ask those in another thread.

Went to a dealer for blue ox and a little confused what he was trying to tell me. I did not know the height of the receiver on the MH at that time, so he suggested that I measure it from the center to the ground. I think he looked at blue ox website to see the distance of the base plate to the ground and I believe he said it was 14". I measured the distance from the center of the receiver to the ground and it is approx. 25". So how much of a drop do I have to have in the hitch?

Thanks!
BarryN514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 05:33 AM   #52

sounds like you need to 'drop' by about 10" for your hitch height to be in line with your vehicle baseplate height-
we had to 'raise' ours by 8" since our class a diesel hitch was only about 15" high, but the Fiesta baselate runs about 23"!
Old 02-15-2015, 07:01 AM   #53
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The Blue Ox manual that I have states that the tow bar should be within 3" above or below the base plate. My phone conversation with them some time ago resulted in them telling me that they changed there specs and it is now 4". A call should be made to verify that.

In any case subtract or add that difference to/from the center line of the hitch. That would be the drop that you need.

I don't know why my mind keeps going in little circles but I believe I have read in my MH manual that there is a limit for drop down hitches also. I do not remember what the number was - so research.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:30 AM   #54

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the advise. Wasnt real sure. I have looked at other coaches in CG and ours seems to be higher than most. The only thing I can think was when they built the coach, the sales invoice called for 19.5 tires but with the option plan we got,had the 22.5 tires.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:03 AM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Four inches difference is also what they told me. When you drop down I believe you also extend the length from the coach. My coach was 23 1/2 off ground and Fiat connection is 13 of ground . I used a 8 inch drop.
WV Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:35 AM   #56

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
My coach was 23 1/2 off ground and Fiat connection is 13 of ground . I used a 8 inch drop.
Sorry, guess I am not fully understanding. If you are so 23" and your toad is 13". that is 10" difference, how do you come up with 8" drop?