Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2015, 10:41 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryN514 View Post
Sorry, guess I am not fully understanding. If you are so 23" and your toad is 13". that is 10" difference, how do you come up with 8" drop?

If the delta is about 2 inches, all is well
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2015, 04:10 PM   #58
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Barry,
Using Blue Ox's verbal of a plus or minus 4" difference would make your flat toad acceptable height of 17" from ground. That's a 6" drop receiver to achieve that height. Personally I think 4" is to much

Using Blue Ox's manual of a plus or minus 3" would be a 7" drop down receiver, and a plus or minus 2" would be an 8" drop down receiver.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:21 PM   #59

You need to recheck the blueox specs. Mine says the toad cannot be higher than the mh. The specs. on mine is plus 0 minus 4 in. meaning the toad height can be 4in. lower but not higher than the mh. There is no plus or minus 4 inches.
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:04 PM   #60

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wayne, I think I understand now.

in MY case the center of the receiver is 25" and the base plate is 14' so with 3"
I would have to go with a 8" drop.

Thanks
BarryN514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:18 AM   #61

Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Staying at KOA Salome AZ. Thru The Summer, & Loving It..
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
Just toaded my Silverado to Utah from Maryland. I will not do anything over 2" (toad lower). I have never towed anything behind my MH before. If you are using a Brake Buddy classic, Hard wire it. Please don't ask me how I know Now!
Old 04-22-2015, 09:26 AM   #62
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryN514 View Post
Wayne, I think I understand now.

in MY case the center of the receiver is 25" and the base plate is 14' so with 3"
I would have to go with a 8" drop.

Thanks
Barry, sorry I missed this when you posted it. Be aware that some motorhome manufacturers specify the maximum drop/rise that the hitch can accept "safely." Sometimes I think they over/under rate their devices. In my case the MFG recommends no more than 4 inches. Some engineer can expound on the scientific reason, if any.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:16 PM   #63

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well, I have it all done now but after looking at many MH setup with the hitch, my hitch and receiver stick out IMO way to far. I think I will take it back and have them drill another hole so I can slide it back in more. Any thought on this?

I did go with the blue ox and Delta Force Brake system. We are not making our long trip till the end of June so want to take it and pull the toad for a few miles to make sure that all is ok prior to our 2,000 mile trip.

Our MH for some reason sit high so we had to go with a 10" drop.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:38 PM   #64

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
if you are talking about drilling a hole in the Blue Ox I would call them first and see what they say.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:20 PM   #65
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by majfrizz View Post
if you are talking about drilling a hole in the Blue Ox I would call them first and see what they say.
That is a good plan.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:19 PM   #66

Fleetwood Owners Club
This is what I am talking about, be so far out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150423_123957.jpg
Views:	894
Size:	471.2 KB
ID:	92358   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150423_123940.jpg
Views:	910
Size:	478.1 KB
ID:	92359  

Old 07-21-2016, 08:48 PM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
My opinion would be to see what the rating is on that 10" drop. Some are not designed to use with trailer towing but is OK with Flat Towing as we do. There is no tongue weight so I'm not sure if it is a problem the way it is. It looks like some sold on e-trailer check the rating and if it's in your capacity go with it. However other than swing angle clearance shortening it should not affect a thing IMO.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 08-14-2016, 10:23 PM   #68

Another question on tow bars

We just bought our Forester Class C MH and are anticipating towing our Jeep Patriot. I am following this thread and all,of the postings that have been made over years have given me a priceless education. I have pretty much decided on Blue Ox and will be having a baseplate installed soon. My question: Our Forester has Air Ride shocks installed. Does the inflation or deflation of them have any appreciable effect on the established height differential between the MH and the toad? If so, what can be done to compensate without making constant hitch adjustments? I know you can keep a constant pressure but I am reading that they naturally lose pressure in the course of travel. Can this unwittingly create a hazard?
Rokslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:43 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokslinger View Post
We just bought our Forester Class C MH and are anticipating towing our Jeep Patriot. I am following this thread and all,of the postings that have been made over years have given me a priceless education. I have pretty much decided on Blue Ox and will be having a baseplate installed soon. My question: Our Forester has Air Ride shocks installed. Does the inflation or deflation of them have any appreciable effect on the established height differential between the MH and the toad? If so, what can be done to compensate without making constant hitch adjustments? I know you can keep a constant pressure but I am reading that they naturally lose pressure in the course of travel. Can this unwittingly create a hazard?
Rokslinger; Welcome to iRV2.
The Blue Ox installation manual states , that a down slope from the toad to the motor home on the bars is not acceptable . So if you set the hitch and bars up, with a riser or drop if necessary , for the bars level with the air ride shocks deflated , then you should be fine , because up to 4 " of up slope from the toad to the coach is acceptable and I doubt the air ride shocks will lift the hitch 4".
Old 11-03-2016, 09:03 PM   #70

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike (KC9IPV) View Post
Ok. I'm going to have to flat tow my jeep wrangler behind my MH. The hitch on the MH is around 20". The bumper on my jeep is 27". Would there be a problem using an 8" drop receiver and turning it upside down?
Im in this same situation but I can't flip the drop reciever because it hits the body of the motorhome. What high/low receivers do people use with lifted toads? I cant find one that doesnt hit the coaches rear bumper.