Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2016, 09:15 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenHome View Post
I just purchased the complete tow package to flat tow my 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I went through etrailer for everything. Blue Ox tow bar, baseplate, wiring kit, separate brake light diode kit and the Roadmaster Invisibrake system. Make sure you check your receiver hitch rating. I had to get a new hitch too. My hitch was only rated for 3500 lbs. My Wrangler is approximately 4300 lbs.

Good luck!

John
Are you sure the rig can be upgraded with just a hitch change? Did you check with the RV manufacturer to see if it's even possible? Lots of times it's not just the hitch but the frame, brakes or transmission on the RV which leaves it out of reason due to the costs and then requiring re-certification by the manufacturer.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2016, 09:20 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Everything Blue OX for Me.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Are you sure the rig can be upgraded with just a hitch change? Did you check with the RV manufacturer to see if it's even possible? Lots of times it's not just the hitch but the frame, brakes or transmission on the RV which leaves it out of reason due to the costs and then requiring re-certification by the manufacturer.
Thanks for the concern and I certainly would not recommend this unless it can be validated with the original Ford F53 chassis ratings. For example, the GVWR is 15,200 lbs with all the tires at 80 psi. With full tanks, fully loaded for a road trip and all hands and the dog on board, I tip the scales at 14,200 lbs. This is well under the GVWR. The F53 chassis also has a GCWR rating of 25,000 lbs. from the original Ford Motorhome Chassis Service Guide for my RV. Even if I max out at the GVWR, I still have 9500 lbs of head room before I get to the maximum GCWR. My Jeep weighs approximately 4300 lbs. and I'm adding an estimated 100 lbs for the tow bar, baseplate and brake system. The originally installed hitch by Winnebago was only rated for 3500 lbs. Now I can only assume that this limitation was in consideration of the maximum tongue weight of 350 lbs. being added to the rear axle, suspension and tires. I personally wouldn't add another 350 lbs on to the tail of my 1996 coach either and that's with my Firestone Ride-rite air bag helper springs installed. But flat towing my Jeep, with the supplemental braking system is well within the operational limitations set by Ford. And anytime I have the Jeep in tow I'll be hanging in the right lane going at a much easier pace.

John
FrankenHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:09 AM   #18
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I highly recommend the NSA ReadyBrute Elite towbars with built-in ReadyBrake! It is rated at 8000 lbs, simple to install, effective operation, and the lowest cost system out there!

I use the Roadmaster baseplate!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:49 AM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have gained a great respect for hitchsource. Very knowledgeable reps.
hohokam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:43 PM   #20

I've used e-trailer.com and had good luck with them. At least they are knowledgeable people who answer the phone, courteous, and make every effort to help you. They also have some decent installation videos on their site.

Base plates are not usually in stock because there are so many configurations. Generally they are drop shipped from the manufacturer and may take longer to get than tow bars, braking systems or other related towing items. It probably depends on the popularity of the tow vehicle as to whether or not they stock it.

I've also used Hitch Source since they had a good price on my lube pump. Check several sites to get the best price.
hoosierrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:32 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
BlueOx Aventa 10,000lb tow bar, Air Force One braking system in my toad. Awesome system and works fantastic. Easy to install.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:26 PM   #22

tow bar mounting plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddb View Post
Check out the Currie tow bar mounting plate for the Jeep. Nicely done and provides front skid plate protection as well. It's a clean, neat install.
I use the Currie, with Roadmaster Sterling tow bar and Brakemaster (air) brake in the Jeep (2015 Wrangler Rubicon).
I have the same set up but have not installed it yet--Did you do any modifications to the tow bar to work?
Old 10-02-2016, 08:41 AM   #23

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have Blue OX system, but I would suggest looking into the Roadmaster All Terrain tow bar systems with their Freedom Latch system. You can unhook at any angle where as with the Blue Ox you need to be fairly straight and lined up. Kind of pricey but the tow bar system should be a one time buy. I've had mine since 2009. I also installed the base plate myself on my '12 Jeep Wrangler. Not very difficult at all. I would also recommend looking on You Tube for the RV GEEKS they review the Roadmaster All Terrian towbar system.
fatguy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:12 PM   #24

Happy with Roadmaster

We were given a Roadmaster Stowmaster tow bar (!) so I went with their stuff. I ordered everything through Amazon.

1) The base plate for my 2007 Honda CRV went on smoothly; it was a slight pain to take off the grille, front bumper, etc, but the instructions had excellent step-by-step photos.
2) I like that the Stowmaster connects via a ball hitch; (a) it makes it much easier to connect / disconnect. (b) all it requires is that I get close enough to the hitch and allows some adjustment in/out and side-to-side to connect.
3) When I measured height from ground to baseplate connection and ground to hitch receiver connection, I determined I needed a ballmount with a 10" drop. I don't think this would be possible with a straight-in tow bar. So when I tow, the tow bar is level with the ground. I think that gives a much better tow and safety.
4) The toad light hookup was one area I wish I'd been able to hire done separately. I screwed up the toad wiring trying to fish the lighting wires through the firewall, then had to pay a repair bill at the Honda dealer
5) I really like the Brake Buddy braking system for the toad. (See comment above for fishing wires through the firewall). But I connect it to the brake pedal and a 12V outlet and we're good to go. It's proportional, so toad brakes can be applied lightly or very hard just like the MH.
6) However, I wasted $75 or so with a Fusemaster. Honda's user manual recommends pulling an all-but-inaccessible fuse, so I got the fusemaster. So far, so good. However, the Brake Buddy needs to use that 12V outlet, and it's on the same circuit as the radio -- the fuse Honda recommends pulling.

We've been full-timing for over 6 weeks and 3,500 miles now, and the tow system has been smooth, easy, and unnoticeable like it should be. If I ever have to replace to toad and/or MH, I'd go with the same system.
arboldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:19 PM   #25

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I trusted blue ox aventa , And got this shock

:
trimacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:21 PM   #26

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
First road trip, braked in traffic, snapped clean...
Old 10-04-2016, 06:50 AM   #27

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
here's other end...

So Blue Ox immediately send replacement towbar & baseplate (tabs bent & compromised). but...... still no official word on my claim for damages to Jeep (>$5,000 on a Jeep w/less than 5,000 miles)
Old 10-04-2016, 01:01 PM   #28

Im have a 2015 Wrangler and use blue ox towbar-base plate- and air force 1 braking system. 10K miles towing and never a minute problems.

Tags
tow, brake