Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2023, 04:55 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tow bar base plates

Hi, I have a 2011 Fleetwood and also have a remco tow bar. I have a 2015 jeep Wrangler and want to know if I need a specific base plates, or will any base plates work?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2023, 05:06 PM   #2

Base plates and tow bars have to match.

That being said... your post says 2011 Fleetwood. If the tow bar is from that time it really should be replaced. Blue OX and other company's say 10 years is the life span on a tow bar so you might want to call Remco with the serial number and see when it was made.

If they say its ok... you could talk to them about the base plate.

If it needs to be replaced... you can pick any brand and get the tow bar and base plate that match up. I have used Blue OX on my all 4 of my Jeeps.

Just an FYI a complete set up to tow a Jeep is usually around $4,000 installed for all the necessary equipment and braking system professionally installed.

Hope this helps... Good Luck!
AZ RV'r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 05:39 PM   #3

From etrailer:

"
Question:
I am in the middle of buying a 1999 Country Coach Intrigue motorhome and it already has installed on the back a Remco system for hauling a vehicle behind you. Obviously if I can use that device, it will save quite a bit, what would I need to show you to help me buy the correct base plate / setup to connect to my 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S factory plastic bumper I see several base plates on the website here and I have purchased various parts from eTrailer in the past so I feel confident in your recommendation. I am fine with buying the e-trailer labeled mounts vs other name brands, no loyalty and not seeing any Remco stuff out there?
asked by: Sammy H

Expert Reply:

Based on my research, your Remco tow bar should be compatible with all Blue Ox base plates so for your 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited the correct base plate kit you'd want is the # BX1139.

For lighting you can use the diode kit, # RM-15267, and not have to worry about cutting into the taillight housing. This will splice into your taillight wiring to allow your tow vehicle to control the taillight assemblies of the towed vehicle. This comes with a round 6-way connector that you will install on the front of your towed vehicle and enough coiled wire to go from there to the RV.

And finally, most states now require supplemental braking in the vehicle being flat towed. The easiest system to set up and use is the Blue Ox Patriot # BLU37TR, that applies the vehicle brakes in proportion to how much the tow vehicle is braking. This is the safest way to stop and it reduces wear and tear on both vehicles.

Most likely you will also need a high low adapter so that the tow bar will be level when you are flat towing. I attached a link to a page that has all of the ones we carry.

I have included a couple of helpful links to our articles on flat towing for you. Be sure to consult the vehicle owners manual for more specific information on flat towing your vehicle.
expert reply by: Jameson C"
Old 02-08-2023, 07:12 AM   #4

Base plates are specific to vehicle models and years. You can usually get away with mixing base plates and tow bar's providing clevis's are available. In most cases they are available. In my case I've used a ReadyBrute tow bar (2 different ones) for 20 years. The base plates used with ReadyBrute were Demco, Blue Ox, & currently Maximus tow loops. All work like a champ with the proper clevis's to match the base plates.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 09:13 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You can also use an after market (winch) bumper with D ring mounts. Rockhard and Smitybilt are examples. Roadmaster makes D ring adapters that will fit several towbar models and Rockhard makes bolt on tabs for front bumpers. If you go with Demco, the base plate is direct fit and takes about 15 minutes to install. Hopkins makes a direct fit plug n play (no cutting/splicing) wire harness with diodes.

Tags
tow