Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2019, 08:41 PM   #1

Tow Bar info

Hey we are new to the Toad world so have not towed vehicle behind motor home looking for some input on best units ease of use ect.. any feedback brands, types, braking systems are they needed ? just trying to educate myself before purchasing
1jamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2019, 05:34 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
My Blue Ox Alpha is very easy to hook up and put in store position. It pulls our Equinox very well. I installed the matching base plate on the car. I also chose to go with a portable brake unit, Brake Buddy Classic II. Works well and relatively easy to install and setup. I can be hooked or unhooked in 5 minutes or so. My Equinox had the "wobble" a couple of times so I added a bungie to the steering wheel to fix it when preparing to tow.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:11 AM   #3

I've use the BlueOx tow bars and base plates for 20 years now on two motorhomes and 6 toads, and I have been very pleased with them. Easy to connect and disconnect everything from the toad.

Since my coach has air brakes, I chose to install the M&G Engineering toad braking system. I can have the M&G braking system connected and up and running in 10 seconds.

I have performed all of the instillations myself.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:31 AM   #4

Take a hard look at the Ready Brute Elite from NSA. I wish I had seen them first, but am happy with my Roadmaster Falcon 2. The RBE comes with the towbar and a braking system that does not require power from the toad. I tried a portable braking system on my Chevy Sonic and it was a PIA to install and remove each time. I even tried in in my Jeep and it was even more so. Opted for the Ready Brake which is the same braking system in the RBE.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:52 AM   #5

I too have the Ready Brute Elite. Super simple and very functional. Easy install too.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:09 PM   #6

I bought the Roadmaster base plate, Falcon 2 tow bar, and The Roadmaster Invisibrake for my 2017 Equinox. I chose the Roadmaster mainly because the Blue Ox required cutting parts of the frame away where the Roadmaster just bolts on with no surgery involved. E-trailer had videos of the installation procedures which did remove a lot of the apprehension about tackling the job myself rather than taking it to a shop. I really wanted to do the install myself as I will be better able to troubleshoot issues down the road if they arise.
We store our motor-home alongside our S&B so that made it easy to work on things like running the charge line and wire for the brake monitor. Installing the tow bracket was easy. Running the wires for everything in the car was more of a challenge because I'm 70 and crawling under the car, under dashboard is not as easy for me as it once was.
When we went to hook up and test out the rig, we did it on the street across from our house. Even with connecting and checking the lights before making the final connections to the Invisibrake and installing the tow bar, the process took about 12 minutes. After our test drive, unhooking and putting everything away was less than 5 minutes. Our neighbor has a Tiffin with a tow dolly and remarked at how much faster and easier it was to hook up our car, than it was for him to load the dolly and tie down the wheels on his. He was already considering switching cars to one he could tow 4 down and I think we cinched the decision for him.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:43 PM   #7

Lowest cost, and easy to use is the ready brute elite bar as it has a surge brake system built in.
KiteSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 06:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiteSquid View Post
Lowest cost, and easy to use is the ready brute elite bar as it has a surge brake system built in.
Someone posted this morning that ReadyBrute is having a 15% sale (I think it was). That's huge when you consider the cost of a tow bar and accessories.

Tags
tow