Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2015, 04:19 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Tow Bar Locking Handles, Angle Degree When Locked

Have a new Blue Ox tow bar & did pick up some hints at other threads about getting both handles to lock, one being reversing the towed car slightly when hooked up to the MH.

When locked, the handles are at a 30-40 degree angle to the tow bar; Is this enough? Seems like they should pop up closer to 90 degrees, but that's just me! Can't find info anywhere on this so any advice would help. Thanks!!
Dick & Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2015, 04:41 PM   #2

No they don't pop up 90*, at least not on my BlueOx towbar. 30-40 sounds about right, they either pop up or they don't. If they pop up you should be good to go.
70ChevelleSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 04:53 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Thanks, 70CSS. Now if I can get both handles to lock at the same time we're good to go. Trailered for years...first MH experience
Old 11-15-2015, 05:01 PM   #4

Usually when you pull the MH forward they'll lock. If not turn the MH away from the side that didn't lock as you pull forward. So if passenger side didn't lock turn to the driver's side a bit, that should extend the arm on the passenger side and let it lock. If space doesn't permit that you can also put the toad in reverse and do the same. Typically they will lock once you moved the MH a short distance and the toad has a chance to straighten out behind the MH. By the time I get down my driveway, it is long, both arms locked.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:11 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Pulled for a mile or more today...first one side would lock, then after awhile the other side, but never both at once. Tried the forward, turning toward the unlocked side but that didn't work either. Will try Reversing Toad lightly tomorrow & see if that works. The tow bar is new, so maybe the arms are not extending fully, just needing time to break in a bit.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick & Pat View Post
Pulled for a mile or more today...first one side would lock, then after awhile the other side, but never both at once. Tried the forward, turning toward the unlocked side but that didn't work either. Will try Reversing Toad lightly tomorrow & see if that works. The tow bar is new, so maybe the arms are not extending fully, just needing time to break in a bit.
You will not get them to lock at the same time. Get one locked and then do a couple back and forth moves pulling away and you will be locked and loaded, ready to go.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:16 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
I use the method Blue Ox has in their video. Since it is a given that one side will not normally lock and to tell which one I usually have my wife back up the toad while I am watching to see which side locks. Then I turn the wheel towards the side that did not lock. Then when pulling away in the RV the other side will stretch out and lock. Works every time.

Steve
Old 11-15-2015, 06:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
I use the method Blue Ox has in their video. Since it is a given that one side will not normally lock and to tell which one I usually have my wife back up the toad while I am watching to see which side locks. Then I turn the wheel towards the side that did not lock. Then when pulling away in the RV the other side will stretch out and lock. Works every time.

Steve
I agree with Steve!
Old 11-15-2015, 07:27 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have used two differing BO tow bars. Neither ever have required any gyrations to lock. I just pull out and both arms will be locked within a short distance.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I have used two differing BO tow bars. Neither ever have required any gyrations to lock. I just pull out and both arms will be locked within a short distance.
Same here, by the time I leave the driveway and hit the street they're both locked. Not sure why some would be so much trouble to get locked.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:44 AM   #11

Same as the last two posts. After connecting everything up DW and myself push the car back until one side locks. Tells us that the car is in neutral. Let the coach idle forward until I see in the camera that the other side has locked.
I've never had an instance where one side or the other came locked or did not lock after a few feet.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:14 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Wow, so much discussion for something that is really easy to do. With your car aligned with the motorhome, put it in reverse (with your foot on the brake) and let it roll backwards until you feel one side of the tow bar lock. Turn the steering wheel all the way towards the side that locked and continue to back the car until the other side locks. Straighten the steering wheel and complete what procedures are needed for the car.

I've done it this way with my Blue OX towbar and my Demco towbar and it assures that your tow bar arms are locked before you ever get back in the motorhome to drive off.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 12:43 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
What may be confusing is the term "lock" for the handles. They never do really lock themselves in position. If there is no tension on the bar, the handle is still free to move down against spring tension. If there is tension on the bar, the handle will be tight and feel like it is "locked" but it is just holding against the latching groove in the bar. As long as the handle has sprung upward to that 30 degree angle, then the bar is latched and will not slide back and forth in the sleeve.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 03:48 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm not familiar with the Blue Ox tow bars but my ReadyBrute Elite has zerk fittings for greasing the tow bar. I noticed after greasing it the first time that the bar locked up much more easily and reliably. If yours has zerk fittings you may want to give them some grease.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow