Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-02-2022, 02:40 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
This is a well discussed issue.
The primary issue with towing four down is finding a car that allows it. Motorhome magazine publishes a towing guide and every year the list gets smaller and smaller. You are limited to Jeeps and a few manual transmission cars with only a few exceptions. Some cars prior to 2014 models can be flat towed but they are getting a little old now.

The problem when dolly towing is how to move the dolly around. I install a trailer hitch on our tow car and then use it to tow the dolly around.
Loading and unloading is not bad if you get a dolly with built in ramps. With practice my wife and i can load or unload in 10 min.
The primary advantage to a dolly is you can use almost any car, not just front wheel drive. We towed a Lexus LS400 rear wheel drive car backwards on a dolly almost 3000 miles with no problem.
A common limitation to both systems is backing up. I've had someone park in front of us several times and it presents an issue. You should disconnect, back up, and then reconnect. A couple of times I've been able to back up the dolly a few feet and maneuver out around the car in front.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2022, 03:02 PM   #16

A couple of things about towing. If you are going to tow 4 down use the guides as just that, a guide to steer you in the right direction. When you've narrowed it down to a couple of choice go online and get the owner's manual for that year. Look under RV towing and make sure you have the right configuration of that model to be towed. The transmission and drive setup (2 or 4 wheel drive) are usually the deciding factors. If you are only going to tow a couple of times a year a dolly is probably your best bet. If you plan on doing any extended traveling you will probably want to tow 4 down. It cost me about $2,000 to get set up with an NSA Hercules, but I did all the work myself. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 03:41 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I started out towing a 2004 Dodge Grand Caravan with the "Car Tow Dolly" with the itty bitty wheels, and left skid marks at every sharp turn. Not good !!!

Sold it a couple of years ago and went with the "Master Tow Dolly, with regular car tires and a swiveling plate and integral loading ramps, and never looked back. Put balance beads in the dolly tires and she rides like glass.

Made 6 trips from Colorado to Florida and back so far and no issues.
Even learned how to back up a couple of feet at the gas pump without putting it in a bind. But 4 feet is about the max, so you need to plan ahead.

Mike in Colorado
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	701.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	289.6 KB
ID:	355366  
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 09:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revconguy View Post
I've used a dolly up until now. They are heavy and hard to maneuver. I thought I was going to have a heart attack after my last trip while trying to handle the dolly. Never again, I'm in the process of setting up for 4-down towing.
Same here...lot of work pulling the dolly around the campsite not to mention it's time consuming and a dirty job (tires and straps) hooking up the car.

I just installed the baseplate on my 15 Equinox today...now I'm shopping for a brake system. Leaning toward the RVI3.
Wacdmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 12:10 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacdmc View Post
Same here...lot of work pulling the dolly around the campsite not to mention it's time consuming and a dirty job (tires and straps) hooking up the car.

I just installed the baseplate on my 15 Equinox today...now I'm shopping for a brake system. Leaning toward the RVI3.
Have a look at ReadyBrake system. You can use any tow bar or theirs. Simple and easy to use.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 01:55 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use an ACME dolly with surge brakes and remote controlled led tow lights. The light connector box on the dolly tongue operates the tow lights on the car roof without wires to the lights. My dolly has lights too.

Check the Dolly's alignment before you buy any dolly, new or used.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 12:57 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
I use an ACME dolly with surge brakes and remote controlled led tow lights. The light connector box on the dolly tongue operates the tow lights on the car roof without wires to the lights. My dolly has lights too.

Check the Dolly's alignment before you buy any dolly, new or used.
Alignment,
Toe in or out can be checked with a tape measure. Toe in or out will wear the tires quickly.
Camber is when the wheels are not completely vertical. This can also wear the tires and is harder to adjust than toe.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 11:24 AM   #22
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would never use a dolly!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 03:26 PM   #23

The only thing that made us happier than saying, "Hello, Dolly" when we got it was saying "Goodbye, Dolly" when we sold it 25 years later. Dollies are versatile, but tow bars are just a lot less work.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow