Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2022, 08:35 PM   #1

Tow bar or dolly?

So, I'm looking at my first RV and they are throwing in a nice Blue Ox tow bar. It's an Acclaim or better. Anyway, the base plate can't work on my car. So, I can trade/sell my old car and buy a used compact that can be towed, then spend $500 on the baseplate. Or, I can buy a used dolly for my front wheel drive car. Any advice would be appreciated. Are there any major differences in the 2 types of towing? By my calculations a dolly would be cheaper.
Libra8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2022, 08:38 PM   #2

Flat towing 4 down is so much nicer
RVtravelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 09:21 PM   #3

I bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVtravelz View Post
Flat towing 4 down is so much nicer

Yea, it's cost prohibitive. So it's sell my car, buy a new car which will be more than i get for my car. Then spend 500 + inst. for the base plate. Or keep my car and buy a dolly. I've seen used ones for 1000.
Libra8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 10:21 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
In my mind there is no comparison between the 2. So much easier to flat tow.

I have done both, and will never use my dolly again for a holiday. I will hang onto it for if and when I may need it to move a vehicle, but it's a toad on all 4 for me.

There are some lower priced and decent ways to go for braking systems. Have a look at ReadyBrake.com Use any base plate and tow bar with their system

Just be sure to get a braking system no matter how you tow.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 10:58 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pay me now or pay me later.

If you are going to be doing a lot of traveling you will eventually switch to four down towing.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 04:05 AM   #6

I started the MH life with 4 down using a jeep as the car of choice. This day and age its hard to find cars that will tow 4 down. Yes, its easier to hook up 4 down but in my opinion thats about it. I have been hauling a KIA around for a few years and many thousand miles on a dolly. Yes dollies are a pain in the rear, yes hooking up is time consuming, but as I have nothing but time who cares.

I feel comfortable with the dolly as the choice of cars to pull is greater. Have to be careful not to have all wheel drive then can not be dolly towed.

Good luck on your decision
be-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 04:36 AM   #7

I've used a dolly up until now. They are heavy and hard to maneuver. I thought I was going to have a heart attack after my last trip while trying to handle the dolly. Never again, I'm in the process of setting up for 4-down towing.
Revconguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 09:17 AM   #8

Love my 4-down

I've not used a dolly but have seen them and guess the dolly vs. 4-down ratio is 1:10. 4-down setup is expensive but I already had a Jeep and it was too heavy for a dolly setup so aside from price, 4-down was an easy choice. It's been great, easy setup and breakdown (<10mins each).

Good luck. I will definitely say a tow car is a great idea either way. I traveled in my Class C my first year without it and the added freedom is priceless.
RB Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 09:38 AM   #9

Jayco Owners Club
A dolly is best when you don't plan to keep the toad a long time or may have different toads to tow. 4-down towing is best overall for the towing aspect, but in particular when the investment for the flat towing setup can provide you with enough years of towing to make the higher costs of the flat tow setup to be worthwhile.

I started with a dolly and still have it for toading my Chev Sonic (or any other fwd vehicle), but I also have a flat tow setup for my Chev Colorado p\u truck. A dolly isn't really all that difficult to use, at least the one I have is fairly simple to use and easy for me to move out of the way when needed. ~CA
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 11:21 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libra8 View Post
So, I'm looking at my first RV and they are throwing in a nice Blue Ox tow bar. It's an Acclaim or better. Anyway, the base plate can't work on my car. So, I can trade/sell my old car and buy a used compact that can be towed, then spend $500 on the baseplate. Or, I can buy a used dolly for my front wheel drive car. Any advice would be appreciated. Are there any major differences in the 2 types of towing? By my calculations a dolly would be cheaper.
If your car is able to be towed 4-down then SOMEBODY makes a base plate for it - just find the correct base plate and install it, or have it installed.
Old 02-02-2022, 11:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Yea, it's cost prohibitive. So it's sell my car, buy a new car which will be more than i get for my car. Then spend 500 + inst. for the base plate. Or keep my car and buy a dolly. I've seen used ones for 1000.
We were in the same boat. We have a 2013 RAV4 that couldn't be towed four-down. Buying another car then spending $3000+ to make it towable just wasn't going to happen. We bought a MasterTow tow dolly and pulled the RAV4 probably 15 to 20,000 miles in four years.

I didn't find it that difficult. The first few times were a challenge, but we soon had it down to where we could get it loaded and unloaded in a few minutes. My wife camps without me often when I'm off on a motorcycle somewhere, and she handled it fine.

All in all, though, we only loaded and unloaded a few times a year. If we were camping within a couple of hours of home I'd take the RV, and my wife would come in the car and do the grocery shopping along the way. We used the dolly on longer trips, and it worked well for us.

If you can make your car towable, I would go that route. But if you're not adverse to a little extra work a dolly wasn't that bad for us.

We're now pulling a TT, so that's behind us.
Old 02-02-2022, 12:03 PM   #12
Community Moderator

2010 Mercury Mariner Hybrid tows great 4 down. Same drivetrain as Ford Escape Hybrid of similar model years.

New Ford Escape hybrid also towable as is 2022 Ford maverick hybrid pickup truck.

NO WAY I would consider dolly tow unless an emergency.
pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 12:50 PM   #13

Quote:

I’ll echo what Mr. Hepburn said above, if your car CAN be flat towed (check the owner’s manual) there is someone that makes a baseplate and it should be pretty reasonable in price / easy to install. Agree that dolly towing is cheaper, but for us flat towing is infinitely easier.
hippopapamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 12:58 PM   #14

The first time I used my tow Dolly convinced me to get rid of it and go with a tow bar.
I was stupid back in 1999.
I bought a Blue Ox Aladdin and been towing my Jeep since
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow