Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2016, 07:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Tow from the bumper. Aftermarket bumper with tow attachment or get adapter for connecting to D ring loops. Another option is the Blue Ox bolt on brackets.

I am currently using the BO bolt on brackets. Previous jeep i towed from the D ring loops. Changed to the bolt on brackets so I don't have to take the shackles on/off.
Mine is a stock 2016 Hard Rock Bumper and it doesn't have the D ring loops. I do see that I could attach the Blue Ox baseplate but I am not found of that. I guess I could buy an aftermarket bumper like the ROCK HARD bumper but I like the red accents on the Hard Rock stock bumper and I feel like the Blue Ox baseplate doesn't look great.
ghoticov is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2016, 07:32 PM   #16

Crazy question but could I use something like this to tow the Jeep? Or would you guys not trust these to hold?

Maximus-3 Jeep Wrangler JK Tow Loops
Old 09-27-2016, 07:33 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoticov View Post
Mine is a stock 2016 Hard Rock Bumper and it doesn't have the D ring loops. I do see that I could attach the Blue Ox baseplate but I am not found of that. I guess I could buy an aftermarket bumper like the ROCK HARD bumper but I like the red accents on the Hard Rock stock bumper and I feel like the Blue Ox baseplate doesn't look great.
Does the Hard Rock bumper have a place to use the Blue Ox Bolt On Adapters and is stout enough to pull from? Maybe with reinforcement? This would give you best of all - no base plate, the bumper you have and like, no ground clearance loss, and likely easiest and cheapest to do.

BX88230 Universal Blue Ox Bolt-On Adapter Tabs, Class III | Blue Ox
http://blueox.com/products/tow-bar/b...abs-class-iii/
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Does the Hard Rock bumper have a place to use the Blue Ox Bolt On Adapters and is stout enough to pull from? Maybe with reinforcement? This would give you best of all - no base plate, the bumper you have and like, no ground clearance loss, and likely easiest and cheapest to do.
I am a COMPLETE Jeep newbie so most of what you are talking is over my head. lol

I am not sure if the Blue Ox Bolt On Adapters will work, I will have to look those up to even see what they are.

The bumper does seem stout so I would think it could be towed from but I am not 100% and still doing research before I do anything stupid or buy anything.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:56 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I edited my previous response to include link to the BO bolt on brackets. These are what I use.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:19 PM   #20

Quote:
I edited my previous response to include link to the BO bolt on brackets. These are what I use.
Thanks!

So basically I just need to figure out how to bolt on the D rings (or bolt on the pieces that the rings attach too I assume). Then the Blue Ox brackets bolts right to those, correct?

Do I then I have to use a Blue Ox tow bar or can I use the NSA Ready Brute Elite bar with those Blue Ox brackets?
Old 09-27-2016, 09:22 PM   #21

Nevermind, those brackets that you posted are different than what I was looking at. I was looking at these:

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Ox-BX882...w+bar+adapters

It looks like the ones you posted actually attach straight to the bumper. I am really unfamiliar with how to attach the brackets you posted.

I know the Hard Rock bumper is steel, do you just drill holes in the bumper and attach them? I would think they would need to attach to the frame somehow and not just the bumper?
Old 09-27-2016, 10:08 PM   #22

Quote:
Nevermind, those brackets that you posted are different than what I was looking at. I was looking at these:

It looks like the ones you posted actually attach straight to the bumper. I am really unfamiliar with how to attach the brackets you posted.

I know the Hard Rock bumper is steel, do you just drill holes in the bumper and attach them? I would think they would need to attach to the frame somehow and not just the bumper?
ghoticov,
You're kind-a in the same issue I was going to be in if we pursued the Hardrock edition of a new Jeep. The Hardrock edition uses different bumpers than a regular Rubicon edition. And, YOU PAY for those in the H/R edition along with other little addendums. Many Jeepers, after acquiring their new toy, opt for aftermarket bumpers, for various reasons. And, about 98% of those aftermarket bumpers, come with what's called "Recovery tabs".

Those recovery tabs are normally about 1" thick, and have either a 7/8" hole in them or a 1" hole. Normally, they're sporting what's called "D-rings" that are used for tow straps and chains etc.

Now, with all that being said, what many of us do in that kind of situation is, remove those D-rings and, purchase the adapters that you linked for a Blue Ox tow bar. I just did that. You'll see them in the pictures below. Doing things this way eliminates the need for an additional base plate, which, is a pain to have, along with an aftermarket bumper but, another real benefit is, it does not detract from your approach angle. Those recovery tabs are fairly high on the bumper and therefore, your tow bar would be connected that high too.

If you consider an aftermarket bumper, there's only about a zillion of them out there. Cruise on over to Quadretech Jeep for a ton of ideas. Or, Northridge 4x4 has some great deals too. And, there's always AMAZON. We've used all of them for various Jeep addendums.

Now, what this means is, you'll have to dump that Hardrock Edition Front bumper that you paid good money for. But, in all reality, that bumper is for looks only. It has no real 4x4 capability enhancement features. In other words, you paid for something that's basically worthless, if you're into even moderate four wheeling. The reason, you'd be going to an aftermarket bumper anyway and, most likely one that would house a winch.

So, take a look and see what things look like on our recently purchased 2015 JKUR. If you decide that you might want to take that route, let me know, I purchased those Blue Ox adapters at way below the market price. Good luck.
Scott

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
ghoticov,
You're kind-a in the same issue I was going to be in if we pursued the Hardrock edition of a new Jeep. The Hardrock edition uses different bumpers than a regular Rubicon edition. And, YOU PAY for those in the H/R edition along with other little addendums. Many Jeepers, after acquiring their new toy, opt for aftermarket bumpers, for various reasons. And, about 98% of those aftermarket bumpers, come with what's called "Recovery tabs".

Those recovery tabs are normally about 1" thick, and have either a 7/8" hole in them or a 1" hole. Normally, they're sporting what's called "D-rings" that are used for tow straps and chains etc.

Now, with all that being said, what many of us do in that kind of situation is, remove those D-rings and, purchase the adapters that you linked for a Blue Ox tow bar. I just did that. You'll see them in the pictures below. Doing things this way eliminates the need for an additional base plate, which, is a pain to have, along with an aftermarket bumper but, another real benefit is, it does not detract from your approach angle. Those recovery tabs are fairly high on the bumper and therefore, your tow bar would be connected that high too.

If you consider an aftermarket bumper, there's only about a zillion of them out there. Cruise on over to Quadretech Jeep for a ton of ideas. Or, Northridge 4x4 has some great deals too. And, there's always AMAZON. We've used all of them for various Jeep addendums.

Now, what this means is, you'll have to dump that Hardrock Edition Front bumper that you paid good money for. But, in all reality, that bumper is for looks only. It has no real 4x4 capability enhancement features. In other words, you paid for something that's basically worthless, if you're into even moderate four wheeling. The reason, you'd be going to an aftermarket bumper anyway and, most likely one that would house a winch.

So, take a look and see what things look like on our recently purchased 2015 JKUR. If you decide that you might want to take that route, let me know, I purchased those Blue Ox adapters at way below the market price. Good luck.
Scott

Thanks for that very informative post, its starting to make sense now. A few questions...

So the Hard Rock bumper has no recovery tabs nor is there a way to add them? I ask because this is my wifes jeep and truthfully, she will probably never off road with it and loves the look of the Hard Rock bumper (and the little red steel things that stick up off of it...there are two of them. lol). So if I could get recovery tabs added to it, then add the Blue Ox adapters I would be golden.

My other option is looking into buying my own older Jeep to customize and off road (mild), as well as use as our toad. I saw another one of your post where you had a Red TJ/Rubicon but it didn't say what year it was.... that is kinda what I am looking for... if I can find the right deal.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:01 PM   #24

ghoticov,
Well, the fact that the Jeep is the CEOs, and, she may or may not ever take it off road, renders the option of installing an aftermarket front bumper, WITH recovery tabs, almost useless. Jeep designed the bumpers for the H/R edition to be different from any other Jeep in the lineup. And, with aesthetics completely in command, functionality (for towing and or any other aspect of 4x4 operations) is pretty much out the door. Based on the actual design of the H/R front bumper, it would be pretty hard to adapt/add the same style of recovery tabs as is used on the majority of aftermarket bumpers.

Kind of a pun but, for a Jeep driver, You're in between a rock and a hard place on this one Pal. Maybe if you AND THE CEO, cruised through Quadratechs and Northridges websites (as well as many, many more off road suppliers) catalogs together, looking for front bumpers, WITH RECOVERY TABS already on them, she might find something that tickles her fancy. If there's failure to launch, NASA, we have a problem and, it's time to head to plan B.

Now, as to the TJ you referred to that was mine, that was a very fine Jeep. We had tons of fun in that one. I will say this, it was a very capable machine, very well outfitted but, was a good looker too. It was not one of these monster/rock breaking looking machines you'd see in a Mad Max festival. It was ultra clean but, was seriously ultra capable too. It had been to many places in multiple states.

The good part, we purchased it for $16K a while ago and, recently sold it for $19K. To find one that is like that, ready to go have fun with, "turn key" as they say, and not beaten to death, is seriously hard. But, if you find one and, need an M & G braking system for it, I've got one. Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:27 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
ghoticov,
Well, the fact that the Jeep is the CEOs, and, she may or may not ever take it off road, renders the option of installing an aftermarket front bumper, WITH recovery tabs, almost useless. Jeep designed the bumpers for the H/R edition to be different from any other Jeep in the lineup. And, with aesthetics completely in command, functionality (for towing and or any other aspect of 4x4 operations) is pretty much out the door. Based on the actual design of the H/R front bumper, it would be pretty hard to adapt/add the same style of recovery tabs as is used on the majority of aftermarket bumpers.

Kind of a pun but, for a Jeep driver, You're in between a rock and a hard place on this one Pal. Maybe if you AND THE CEO, cruised through Quadratechs and Northridges websites (as well as many, many more off road suppliers) catalogs together, looking for front bumpers, WITH RECOVERY TABS already on them, she might find something that tickles her fancy. If there's failure to launch, NASA, we have a problem and, it's time to head to plan B.

Now, as to the TJ you referred to that was mine, that was a very fine Jeep. We had tons of fun in that one. I will say this, it was a very capable machine, very well outfitted but, was a good looker too. It was not one of these monster/rock breaking looking machines you'd see in a Mad Max festival. It was ultra clean but, was seriously ultra capable too. It had been to many places in multiple states.

The good part, we purchased it for $16K a while ago and, recently sold it for $19K. To find one that is like that, ready to go have fun with, "turn key" as they say, and not beaten to death, is seriously hard. But, if you find one and, need an M & G braking system for it, I've got one. Good luck.
Scott
Could I not use these add on recovery tabs ... http://www.rubitrux.com/maximus-3-10...ing-loops.html and then use the Blue Ox adapters on th? Or are they too narrow..
Too close together on the bumper?
Old 09-28-2016, 01:31 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

Yes, holes are drilled in the bumper and the brackets are bolted to the bumper. Backing plates are included to provide strengthing. The typical aftermarket bumper is quite thick and robust and well secured to the jeeps frame. As I commented, I don't know how robust the stock Rock Hard bumper is.

The other adapters you linked connect to D ring tabs, which you commented you don't have. Instead, I assume your bumper has tow hooks on the top of the bumper.

If you were to replace your bumper with a aftermarket bumper I would think it has some resell value via Craigslist.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:27 AM   #27

I own a 75th anniv. JK unlimited which has the exact front bumper as the OP. Because I already owned a Roadmaster Falcon Tow Bar, I opted for the 1444-3 MX base plate and installed it myself. I had to notch out the steel front rock guard, but installation was very easy and bolted directly to the frame. All bolt patterns were spot on. I've had great luck with my previous set ups.Cost? Most ads show 399.00. I contacted a seller on Ebay and was able to purchase for substantially less with free shipping. Just another option, if you already like your bumper as I do.
convictmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:31 AM   #28

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trimacon View Post
Blue ocean here too. Didn't think it was that bad but I'm not hard core off road either.
Sorry spell check changed Ox to Ocean, mine was a Blue Ox AVenta LX, recent mishap with the Aventa breaking, now has me in the Blue Ox Aviall. Back to the original post, here's my base plate mounted under my Hard Rock so you can see how much clearance you would lose (keep in mind you can remove all the hardware to just the bare plate and all that sticks out is the tabs):

view after Aventa failure

tab only view:
trimacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow