Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tow bar receiver hitch question.

My Blue Ox tow bar will slide into the receiver hitch all the way to the plate on the tow bar end but when you find the last hole to put the hitch pin in it now sticks out of the receiver about 7 in.Shoul di have another hole drilled so the tow but sits closer to the MH??

Also the Toad is 3 in lower than MH ok ??

My entire length is 60+ feet from rear of Toad to front of MH! Looks so long!!
Attached Images

Dakrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
My reciever is not open in the rear and was constructed to a standard.(pin hole location) Your reciever I take it is open in the rear so you can continue to slide it in the whole way? You will be fine just pinning in the hole that is there. Some people have really long ext. on theirs to allow for bike racks and so forth. As for height of car, level as one can get is the best, I have seen some with a lot more than 3" going down the road.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #3

I had another hole drilled on my Blue Ox tow bar so I could slide and pin it in further.... The car still does NOT hit the MH corner when turning as tight as possible...(check yours) I have the tray and bike rack at the rear of the toad for ease of access ..
I'm thinking a 3" height difference is too much -- should probably get a 2" drop extension ... and then see if you still have the same issue ... drill if advantageous..
Old 01-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I slide mine all the way in, marked the spot I wanted the new hole, took it to the drill press and drilled a new hole. It is mild steel and drills easy.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I pinned the tow bar where it will pin - figuring BO knew what they were doing when they placed the holes.

Also if any further in would not be able to pivot it far enought clockwise to pass the retainer pin (it would hit my ladder) - your clearances or mechanism may of course be differing.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for input.Sorry for the duplicate posting!!
Dakrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #7

My Blue Ox instructions specifically state to not drill another hole.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:50 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Blue Ox says that anything from level to 4" down is OK. Tow bar should never go UP to the toad.

Also, the tow bar sticks out because it's designed to give you clearance to fold it up (and then to the side). Some motorhomes have the tow receiver recessed a bit under the end cap, so they designed it to stick out. No need to drill another hole.