Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2022, 10:48 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tow bar/Roadmaster Invisibrake Deal/no Deal?

Hadn't planed on towing but this seems like a good buy. But.. Is it?

[[ Roadmaster All-Terrain tow bar less than 4 years old...sold motor home and don’t need tow bar or brake system...purchaser would need a base plate for vehicle and hardware kit for the Roadmaster Invisibrake system...Camping World has tow bar on sale for $849.99...Roadmaster Invisibrake on sale for $999.99...hardware kit for brake system around $150.00 on Amazon or Camping World...base plate can be found at both places as well...would like to sell as a package, price negotiable...asking $800.00 ]]

Been there for 14 days.
JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2022, 11:40 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Definitely well priced (assuming good condition and all working). The fact it hasn’t sold is more than likely directly attributable to not many folks right now setting up toads and/or perhaps the method of advertising isn’t reaching the target audience.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 12:25 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
"" This is NOT for sale ""

Hard to say if it is working because it says the "hardware kit" is missing.

I guess if it isn't all marred up or bent. Can you tell anything from the photo? I guess the black box mounts in the toad?

I don't know anything about these or what to look for....

Thanks Glenn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00l0l_irRRoUVi8l1z_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	366810  
Old 05-28-2022, 01:14 PM   #4

From the picture it also missing the air cylinder for the invsibrake, expect about $300 in parts to make the invsibrake whole. You will also need additional parts to complete the invisibrake install depending upon the vehicle.
I would also want to inspect the tow bar for any abuse or wear items. Typically rebuild kits for the normal wear items are available.
A base plate is about $500.

If you go to Roadmaster's web site you can download the owners/installation manuals which include the parts list. The install of the invsibrake system is somewhat involved, not for the wary.
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 01:40 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Ok. So not to jump in without knowledge. Could still be a sizeable investment just to put aside "in case" I decide to tow in the future.

I think I will do the research and contact them next week after the best, Memorial Weekend, sales time frame.

This is why I love this forum! I have learned SO MUCH here!

Glenn
Old 05-28-2022, 10:34 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
I would contact Roadmaster with the info you have on the Invisibrake and ask what else is needed. I don't think you need much. The towbar isn't hurt
Old 05-29-2022, 08:44 PM   #7

We picked up our used Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain (Craigslit) and RVIBrake 3 (Offerup). Both looked in good condition and well taken care of. I sent the RVI back to factory to have a safety check and software update done at no charge. At the April FMCA convention in Tucson Roadmaster had a service trailer there. They safety checked the tow bar...lubricated, replaced washers and tightened everything up.

Might be a good deal. You'll be able to tell if they were taken care of or used and abused.
Old 05-30-2022, 05:49 AM   #8
NXR

If you're not familiar with the InvisiBrake, go look at the installation manual and how it works and installs. When we were looking at it, the three places we went to for quotes all called the InvisiBrake a "very invasive" installation because it needs some interior disassembly and a steel cable run around. They would install it but it cost hundreds of dollars more.

It's also a "progressive" braking system, not a "proportional" braking system.

Progressive systems apply more and more braking force as a function of time, not as a function of the deceleration rate like a proportional system does. The longer you're on the motorhome brakes the more braking effort the InvisiBrake applies at the toad. Nevertheless, a lot of people like it.

I went with a Demco Stay-IN-Play DUO and did the installation myself.

BUT I have a gasser. Since you listed the engine HP of your 2002 Monaco does that mean it has air brakes?

If so, the Demco Air Force One is considered better because it uses the air brakes from the motorhome to run the toad braking system.

Either will work but there are some considerations listed in the braking system manual about using them on an air brake-equipped motorhome.

As an aside, I know a lot of people, me included, are OK with some used equipment. But I would never be comfortable with a used baseplate or tow bar and just installing them. Even if they look perfect visually you have absolutely no idea how much abuse and thus metal fatigue they were subjected to. Maybe none, maybe a lot.

Even if someone gave me a used, perfect-looking tow bar that they said they had used I would be sending it off to the manufacturer for rebuilding. There simply are too many defects that cannot be seen visually. I'd never install a used baseplate, ever.

But that's me.

I still remember a post from someone who was proud they were using a 5,000 lb tow bar to pull a large pickup truck with a published curb weight over 6,000 lbs. "They always build in safety margins in these things. They only publish those low ratings because their lawyers make them." Uh huh.

FWIW,

Ray
Old 05-31-2022, 07:58 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thank You all!

For the suggestions and links! I searched Craigslist and found many for sale.

Being a bargain hunter sometimes gets the best of me!

I have decided to hold off until I have plans that include finding a the right toad to drag along with me. Someday maybe but not now. A tank or two of fuel is more important....

Again THANKS!

Glenn
Old 05-31-2022, 08:07 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBean View Post
Thank You all!

For the suggestions and links! I searched Craigslist and found many for sale.

Being a bargain hunter sometimes gets the best of me!

I have decided to hold off until I have plans that include finding a the right toad to drag along with me. Someday maybe but not now. A tank or two of fuel is more important....

Again THANKS!

Glenn
Glenn, Trust me I am also that same bargain hunter. I would recommend that you will likely find the single best deal on a towbar alone. We purchased a RM Sterling all-terrain towbar a number of years back for $250....it functioned perfectly but last year we visited the RM service booth at Quartzsite and they completely overhauled the thing will many new components for $125..... as crazy good deal! RM seems to want all their towbars to be functioning properly and provide great service!!
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, roadmaster, tow