Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2012, 08:58 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobThompson
Thanks Art and Sarah. I am not sure the 2 of you are talking about the same system. I believe SarahW has the readybrute which has the surge brake, not an electrical brake, not adjustable from the coach. I also would like to not modify our 09' Saturn and am trying to avoid any electrical connection to the toad. The magnetic lights should do that and an occasional brake light application shouldn't run the toad's batteries down. These may be mutually exclusive. I am leaning toward the Ready Brute Elite, either the Blue Ox or Demco Bracket, and the breakaway system. I remember seeing a post somewhere about adding a turnbuckle in the surge brake line for ease of brake sensitivity adjustment. Have you any thoughts on this,SarahW? Thanks to all. Bob T
Sorry Bob if I confused you, I think we were talking about the same systems I was just saying you need to make sure you add the brake away system. I went with brake buddy partly because I tow in winter coming down from Canada and there have be incidents were the cable systems have iced up. I was originally looking at a similar system recommended and sold by RV University which at the time had no brake away feature and exposed cables. Best of luck sounds like either will work for you.

Art V
ArtDeCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobThompson View Post
I am leaning toward the Ready Brute Elite, either the Blue Ox or Demco Bracket, and the breakaway system. I remember seeing a post somewhere about adding a turnbuckle in the surge brake line for ease of brake sensitivity adjustment. Have you any thoughts on this,SarahW? Thanks to all. Bob T
Sorry I missed your question about the turnbuckle, Bob. In my opinion, that's unnecessary. There is an adjustment in the cable for the surge brake sensitivity, and an indicator light that mounts inside your coach so you can tell when the toad brake has been applied. I think you will be very pleased with the ReadyBrute Elite setup.

I suggest you search the forum for Ready Brake or ReadyBrute to get all the info you ever wanted, and then some! I have yet to see a single negative experience with the NSA equipment posted.

And Art is absolutely correct about the breakaway system. It's a necessity, IMO.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #31

Thanks SarahW, I think that's what we'll get. Air Force One is good, but our coach's exhaust brake is super effective and it would be good to have the additional braking on the toad even when the coach brakes are not applied. Only surge systems can do that. Also, breakaway is law in lots of states and canada. God bless iRV2 and all who dwell there. Bob T
BobThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobThompson View Post
Thanks SarahW, I think that's what we'll get. Air Force One is good, but our coach's exhaust brake is super effective and it would be good to have the additional braking on the toad even when the coach brakes are not applied. Only surge systems can do that. Also, breakaway is law in lots of states and canada. God bless iRV2 and all who dwell there. Bob T
You are quite welcome. And I agree, this place is a gold mine of information and people are always willing to help. Good luck!
Old 06-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #33

I am half smart, on a good day, memory challenged, it doesn't talk to me anymore. On top of that I am a very senior citizen, 70+. I hooked up my own tow system on our Jeep Wrangler, and found it to be a lot of fun, and it works great. Lay under the thing and look at it for a while, if it doesn't come to you, oh well, there is always the dealer. Oh I used a Brake Buddy, no wiring or electric hookup
bgc44a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If your reasonably mechanically inclined you should have no problems, just follow instructions. Just did my second toad, GMC Canyon, it was easy compared to Honda CR-V, used Blue Ox again, with lights wiring installed in about 6 hrs.
ArtDeCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:46 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OK, so here is a questions for the rocket scientists out there'

I can push my Tahoe by myself up and down the street. So, resistance in neutral is very little. I assume that the stress on the rig comes in when you go up or down steep grades, well at least up steep grades, as the ready brake takes care of the weight on the way down

I know it is a trivial question, but since i have some time I thought I would put it out there......

BTW , happy Father's day to all the dad's out there
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: '19 Tahoe, '22 JLU, '17 JKU, IRV3 Brake System
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:10 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another question. Do you just leave the key in the on position, so the wheel doesn't lock? Or is there another way to keep the wheel from locking
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: '19 Tahoe, '22 JLU, '17 JKU, IRV3 Brake System
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:03 AM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Probably yes for most GM autos. My HHR and my Jeep wrangler both had to have the key in and in the first position. My Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 doesn't have a wheel lock, so I take the key out.
wah864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #38

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will add this,, MEASURE CAREFULLY and check where the drill goes if you have to drill any holes (not all installs need holes drilled)

helped a fellow camper with a base plate install, He was about 1/8" off on one hole, we had a devil of a time geting the bolt in the hole properly.

We got it, but that is more a testimony to my tool box (As an electronics tech I have tools for working in blind spots) than our skill.