Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #1

Tow bar upgrade question

I currently have a Stowmaster 500 tow by Roadmaster vehicle mounted tow bar with Roadmaster base plates on my 2013 Chevy Sonic. The Stowmaster works fine but I would like to upgrade to a Motor Home mounted tow bar to eliminate the need to remove the Stowmaster for storage when not in use. This thing is heavy and takes up room in the basement storage area. T already have the Roadmaster cables and power cord

The choices by Roadmaster for my car are:

Roadmaster Falcon 2 Motorhome Mounted Tow Bar - 6,000 lbs Roadmaster Tow Bars RM-520

Roadmaster Falcon All-Terrain Motorhome Mounted Tow Bar - 6,000 lbs Roadmaster Tow Bars RM-522

Roadmaster Sterling All-Terrain Motorhome-Mounted Tow Bar - 6,000 lbs Roadmaster Tow Bars RM-576

They all would seem to do the job and accomplish what I want. Any thoughts on the merits of options 2 or 3 over option 1 for the addition cost involved.

Thanks
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
When I bought my 2011 Ford Edge last year it had already been fixed up to tow with the Falcon 2 system. I had originally planned on using some other brand but this system has worked flawlessly for 10,000 miles.
gacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #3

I recommend any of the Roadmaster All Terrain tow bars. They come equipped with Roadmaster's Freedom Latch which allows the inner arms of the tow bar to rotate 360 degrees, eliminating the binding that can happen with classic tow bars. This makes for easy release of the tow bar from the tow vehicle.

This video shows just how easy the Sterling releases, even when there is a lot of tension:

The Sterling All Terrain is lightweight - it weighs about 35 pounds. Roadmaster's other tow bars weigh around 65-70 pounds.

The Falcon All Terrain is a great tow bar also. It has all the same features as the Sterling, it just isn't as lightweight.

One thing to keep in mind when you are comparing the costs, is that the Sterling comes with safety cables and power cord (usually around $175) and the Falcon does not. If you subtract the cost of the cables and power cord from the price of the Sterling, the price is about the same as the Falcon. There is no option to purchase the Sterling without the cables and cords, that is just how they are sold.

The Falcon 2 is a great tow bar also, but it does not have the Freedom Latch (non-binding mechanism) design, so you don't get the benefit of always having an easy release.

This page shows a comparison of Roadmaster's All Terrain tow bars that you might find helpful:
Roadmaster All Terrain Tow Bar Comparisons - Tow Bars and Brackets

Hope that helps! I guarantee the lowest prices on Roadmaster products and am happy to answer any questions you may have.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
You can't beat the Sterling, we've used them for the last 12 years and they are outstanding!
Old 09-02-2013, 08:27 PM   #5

Interested in the Sterling but don't need the electrical connection currently. Can the electrical cord be disconnected for use at a future time?
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:56 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use a blue ox myself... To be honest it's very hard to choose between tow bars because the major difference that I have seen between many assorted tow bars, for most customers, is how they stow. They are all very good and very "Equivalent" so recommending one over another is not an easy task. Save that I like the "Stow on the motor home" types but then that's why you started this thread.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:05 AM   #7

We have used a Falcon II for several years on two toads and have never had a problem with it. I have looked at all the Roadmaster products and would use any of them without reservation. I bought the Falcon II because I did not need more than 6,000 capacity and because of the price. When you consider the investment in tow bar, base plates, accessories, lighting and braking systems, I did what I could to keep the cost of that investment down. In all fairness, I have looked at Blue Ox and they appear to be excellent products and will work with Roadmaster base plates with adapters. If your toad weighs any way near 6,000 lbs. I would recommend going to the next level. We had two GM SUV's and would not have towed either as they weighed over 5,000 lbs.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid_dk View Post
Interested in the Sterling but don't need the electrical connection currently. Can the electrical cord be disconnected for use at a future time?
Sure. You can easily disconnect the power cord or leave it in place when not in use - either way works.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Consider used if you find one that fit your needs. Craiglist has them routinely and as a matter of fact I went from Roadmaster to Blue OX ???? so still have one lying around.

Don G.
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
I've been using Blue Ox for 15 years. Great unit mounts on MH, and company stands behind any issues.
Okrver is offline   Reply With Quote