Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2020, 11:25 AM   #1

Tow bar with cargo carrier?

We will shortly be the new owners of a small class A and will be towing a toad vehicle. I'm looking to increase our cargo capacity by adding a cargo carrier to the hitch and I'm wondering if there is a tow bar system that has a cargo carrier. I know there are cargo carriers with towing receivers but I was hoping that there might be an all in one product. Thanks!
MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2020, 11:50 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Adding the cargo onto the hitch will be a pain when hooking up IMHO.

You would be much farther ahead by putting a roof rack on the toad for a little extra cargo room.

Just put light and bulky things in it. Easy to do, and out of the way.

Also, most people use telescoping arms on the hitch, so that would present another problem.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 01:36 PM   #3

You could try one if the dual stack hitches, but be careful of the weight rating.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:10 AM   #4

I'm using one of the double receivers for a bike rack. The bottom one goes straight out for the tow bar and the top one, which is about 6" higher, is for the bike rack. There's a few hundred pound weight capacity if I remember correctly. I'd imagine a storage rack could be used instead of the bike rack as long as it doesn't stick back too far to interfere with the tow bar? Also keep in mind it adds about 11" to the length of your rig. Cost for this adapter was like $35 on Amazon.
Dive in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:29 PM   #5

Why not just mount the cargo carrier on the toad?
Old 05-27-2020, 06:31 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Why not just mount the cargo carrier on the toad?
Something like this? Click image for larger version

Name:	20200204_193205.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	287155
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:35 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The biggest issue with having a cargo box mounted on the tow bar is the bar pivots in a side to side (and up/down) arc as the MH and toad turns. The box will also pivot, quickly hitting the rear of the MH.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:51 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dive in View Post
I'm using one of the double receivers for a bike rack. The bottom one goes straight out for the tow bar and the top one, which is about 6" higher, is for the bike rack ,,,
I did the same with a Roadmaster dual receiver with a weight rating higher than the coach receiver. I needed a few inches of drop for a better tow bar angle to the toad.

I did modify the bike rack to reduce how much was overhanging the tow bar just incase the bar ever came in contact with the rack. If the bike rack (or cargo carried shelf) makes contact with the bar the bar will always win and push the obstruction out of the way and the way could be into the rear cap of the coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00136.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	526.7 KB
ID:	287156   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00134.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	523.2 KB
ID:	287157  

Old 05-27-2020, 07:05 AM   #9

Look at Swivel Wheel Trailers by Cruiserlift. Many options available.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:50 PM   #10

Thanks for all the suggestions/replies! I'm sorry it's taken me a while to respond...it's a long story that I can't get into.

In any event, I like the dual hitch idea. I'll take a look around and see what options there are. My only only concern seems to be the tow weight limit. I'd like one with a 5000lb limit but many I have seen have 4000lb limits. Any suggestions?
MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 08:09 PM   #11

One of my configurations. Reciever has a second hole on top. Hitch carrier clears car by 10 inches. Carrier on roof as well... The carrier is one which has a z bar mount so it is higher than a straight bar carrier.

Before using, I tested extensively by sliding the dolly left and right to full time, and by jacking dolly up to check clearances.

I looked at the double receivers, bit in my case, did not need to have the ball farther from bumper as my clearance was good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190513_102843~2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	287643  
Do26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow