Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2018, 01:20 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDomoCal View Post
I am looking for help deciding which tow bar and breaking system to go with. Roadmaster, NASA ELITE, Blue Ox.
Mike

Roadmaster (NIGHTHAWK - because I wanted the added safety of the LED strip) towbar system, and an M&G braking system (nothing to move or remove to use).
htmac007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2019, 03:07 PM   #16

Nighthawk - Roadmaster

I have always used Roadmaster products - Falcon Tow Bar and Baseplate. I waited for over a year to save up to buy the new Nighthawk. I received it yesterday and today I went to test fit it and make sure it everything works.

I was not able to slide the tow bar into my receiver!!! I actually took a piece of wood and tried to bang it on hoping to free up what might be binding and not letting it slide in. I stopped before getting it all the way in since I knew I wouldn't be able to pull it out. I have a Roadmaster 8" drop so that is what I was trying to make it fit in. I ended up having to bring both pieces (towbar and 8" drop receiver) home so I could bang the receiver off. I also have a Roadmaster 6" drop and same thing, it wouldn't fit. It's a darn good thing I wasn't headed out on a trip today!

I lubed the receiver up and used a file to smooth out the inside of the receiver as best as possible but it still had to be banged in with a sledge hammer. I really didn't want to take a grinder to the new tow bar but that looks like that is what I am going to have to do in order to use it. What a shame and bad on you Roadmaster. You should be test fitting these before shipping out to the customer. I have a call into Roadmaster but it's Saturday so I will have to wait until Monday to hear what they say.

The reason I tell you all this is be sure to test fit yours and don't wait until the day of departure to use your new Nighthawk or any other tow bar.

Guess what's my new tool to RV......a sledge hammer
Old 02-16-2019, 08:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1rider View Post
I have always used Roadmaster products - Falcon Tow Bar and Baseplate. I waited for over a year to save up to buy the new Nighthawk. I received it yesterday and today I went to test fit it and make sure it everything works.

I was not able to slide the tow bar into my receiver!!! I actually took a piece of wood and tried to bang it on hoping to free up what might be binding and not letting it slide in. I stopped before getting it all the way in since I knew I wouldn't be able to pull it out. I have a Roadmaster 8" drop so that is what I was trying to make it fit in. I ended up having to bring both pieces (towbar and 8" drop receiver) home so I could bang the receiver off. I also have a Roadmaster 6" drop and same thing, it wouldn't fit. It's a darn good thing I wasn't headed out on a trip today!

I lubed the receiver up and used a file to smooth out the inside of the receiver as best as possible but it still had to be banged in with a sledge hammer. I really didn't want to take a grinder to the new tow bar but that looks like that is what I am going to have to do in order to use it. What a shame and bad on you Roadmaster. You should be test fitting these before shipping out to the customer. I have a call into Roadmaster but it's Saturday so I will have to wait until Monday to hear what they say.

The reason I tell you all this is be sure to test fit yours and don't wait until the day of departure to use your new Nighthawk or any other tow bar.

Guess what's my new tool to RV......a sledge hammer
I wanted to give an update to my tow bar situation.

Roadmaster has really stepped up!! I returned the tow bar to Roadmaster and they have tested it on all of their test units and it fits without any problems. I was afraid this would happen. I started thinking what could I be doing wrong. It's not rocket science to slide a tow bar into a receiver, I've been doing this the past two years with my Falcon 2.

We were stumped as what to do next so I told them to just return it to me. They had asked for pics of my receiver, a Roadmaster 6 and 8 inch High Low receiver. They checked my pics and nothing found.

I then received an email from Brian at Roadmaster he was going to send me a High Low receiver he had used to test mine that he knew would work and asked me to return my High Low in exchange. What a great idea! Now I knew I was going to have something I knew would work. I haven't received the NIghthawk as of today but when I do, I'm going to retry my 6 inch receiver again and will be returning my 8 inch.

How that's customer service! Thanks Roadmaster, you saved the day and a customer.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:36 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
NSA Ready Brute if you have a gas coach. The best bang for the buck out there.
I agree about the NSA ready Brute. Easy to install, no big box behind your toad brake pedal, I can hook it up once installed 2 minutes. Just a clean reasonably priced system with built-in breaking that works.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190208_120728.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	235238
GaryKowal1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow