Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2010, 05:44 PM   #1

Tow Bars

Has anyone had experience with the Demco-Commander tow bar? If so, how would you compare it to the Blue Ox-Aladdin?
Krazy grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2010, 06:18 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to the forum j penny. You might try the search feature of the forum. Probably will get you some quick answers.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:37 PM   #3

I have a similar question. I am in the market for a towbar and brake system for a 2010 Chevy Equinox. I've seen a few used ones for sale on this web site and on Craigslist. I assume that I will still have to buy new plates for the towbar as the car is a new model. What should I look for, and avoid in used equipment like this?
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:57 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Not much in common for these two questions, except they are both about tow bars.

All the Demco owners seem satisified, but Blue OX and Roadmaster remain the overwhelming favorites. Not sure why.

As for used tow bars, it is very difficult to identify worn pivot points or fatigued metal. If you are talking a bout a simple A-frame, ball type bar, there isn't much to go wrong, but on the high end motorhome mounted bars that swivel & extend, there are several key mechanical parts. I can only suggest looking carefully at every joint and also at the overall condition for signs of general neglect, e.g. rust. And under no circumstances buy one that is bent anywhere, no matter how minor it looks.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:18 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Looked a more than a few tow bars. I chose the Blue Ox Aventa LX. It's adjustable, 10,000 lb capacity. They also make one of the best car tow brackets in the market. Only the two little barrels stick out from the fender.

They also have a brand new bracket for the Chevy Equinox. So far have towed a 4550 lb Jeep 4 door Sahara over 3k miles with this set up.

I would also look into a aux braking system for your tow vechicle.

Regards Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:57 PM   #6

I agree that you should stick with Blue Ox. I used to have a Roadmaster towbar and it was very good, no complaints. But was at a rally and was very impressed when Blue Ox had service tech come around and completely service and rebuild my neighbor's towbar for only $25. I checked with Roadmaster booth for mine and was told I could bring it into the company and would have to pay tech wages to get it done! So I then went to the Blue Ox booth, traded in my Roadmaster for a Blue Ox Aventa and received rally special AND $150 off. The service tech came the next day and installed the Aventa and went over proper use and answered all questions I had. Now that is service that you can't get with ANY other company. IMO THat is what makes blue ox stand above the rest.
lucky leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:02 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For all the features offered the following is hard to beat. Brand new Blue Ox Aventa 10,000 lbs capacity tow bar with safety cables and free shipping for $528.00 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RV-To...Q5fAccessories
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:56 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Hey Bob.
You can also get it from Adventure RV for almost exactly the same price (when shipping is included). Just posted this because I had good service and speedy delivery from this company.

ON EDIT: Sorry about that Bob. I didn't click on your link prior to posting. This IS THE SAME COMPANY!
sfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:42 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You may want to check out the Ready Brute / Ready Brake system. 10,000lbs rated, very well priced. I've used our for 10's of thousands of miles.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:20 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfischer View Post
ON EDIT: Sorry about that Bob. I didn't click on your link prior to posting. This IS THE SAME COMPANY!
No problem, Steve. I have purchased other items direct from Adventure, but when I bought my Aventa last year there was about a $10 difference going through their eBay pressence due to freight charges. Looks like it's a push now.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:33 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I LOVE my Roadmaster Stowmaster. Stows folded up on the car rather unobtrusively. All stainless steel so no service necessary. No rubber boots to come loose. 3 minutes to hook up or disconnect. Just give it a little dry lube once in a while.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:42 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First time user of Demco products and completly satisfied with their products. Items used listed in my signature below. Used Demco since they were the first to have a base plate for the GMC Terrain in January 2010.

2010 GMC Terrain, Demco: Base plate, Excalibar II tow bar, and Sentry Deflector.
Don The Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:59 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Vote: Blue OX Tow bar and base plate. Using US Gear Unified Brake system

Don't forget: Match the Tow Bar and Base Plate from the same manufature.

There are conversion kits, but I think the best thing is a sure match fit.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:24 AM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
Just like lucky leo I had the Roadmaster Falcon 2 towbar. I really liked it but, had the same problem as he did. I just bought the Blue Ox Aventa LX. So far no problems and I really like the idea of having it completely overhauled for $25 instead of shipping or taking it to the factory and paying the tech labor rate. They come to rallies when invited to take care of their product. This really impressed me. I probably paid more for it at the rally but it was still cheaper than the other tow bar.