Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2015, 07:16 PM   #1

Tow Dolly

Pros and cons of tow dolly? Looking at Demko SS.
NanDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2015, 07:28 PM   #2

We went back and forth recently before finally deciding to pick up a Jeep Cherokee to replace the Miata and tow it 4 down. Just picked up a Roadmaster 5200 off CL for only $100. Great condition and ordered tow plates from etrailer.com! We were very close to getting the EZE Tow...$1600 and only 380 lbs. If we already had a front wheel drive or Prius, that would have been the dolly for us!
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:58 PM   #3

I consider the Demco SS to be one of the best but there are lots of good ones. We have towed ours for 10,000 or more miles with no problems.

You will gets lots of opinions about tow dolly versus 4 down but if you have a front wheel drive car and don't want to replace it, then the dolly is the right answer. If you can find a good used one like we did, you can't go wrong.

That said, When we were ready to trade off the old PT Cruiser, we bought a used CRV so we could tow 4 down.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:03 AM   #4

Suggest you do a forum search on the subject. There have been many posts and discussions re your question. You should find some very good thoughts there....
Old 07-23-2015, 12:25 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have the Demco KK-460 and have used it to tow our '05 Odyssey although now I'm towing it four down with no problems.
Fairly heavy dolly but well built and surge brakes so no connections other than lights. New ones have disk brakes as I understand it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbonsell View Post
We went back and forth recently before finally deciding to pick up a Jeep Cherokee to replace the Miata and tow it 4 down. Just picked up a Roadmaster 5200 off CL for only $100. Great condition and ordered tow plates from etrailer.com! We were very close to getting the EZE Tow...$1600 and only 380 lbs. If we already had a front wheel drive or Prius, that would have been the dolly for us!
The Acme dolly had brakes for the $1600., correct?

How much for the brake system, you will need, with the $100. tow bar?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:49 AM   #7

Dolly is cheaper than configuring to tow four down, BUT our tow was in the shop recently and we did two resolutions - 1st trip we rented UHaul tow dolly and it worked fine, was not too much trouble but cost us $250 for 4 days. 2nd trip we decided to simply rent a car from Enterprise, cost $120 for 4 days, but we had to pick it up on the way in and Enterprise gave me a lift back when returning......though both worked well, we missed having our toad and are glad to get it back.....must say I preferred the rental to the tow. Happy Trails to you. PS - we have Roadmaster connections and Vantage Select Brakebuddy to tow our VW Cabrio convertible.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:26 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanDon View Post
Pros and cons of tow dolly? Looking at Demko SS.
The Demko KarKaddy SS is about the fanciest dolly there is (caster steering, folding tongue, folding ramps, etc). Of course fancy = heavy (615lb) and expensive. Fancy is not required for a dolly...there are options.

Dolly Tow Pros:
~No unseen miles added to the car's lower driveline.
~No pressure on car's steering from the need to return to center.
~No mod to the car in the critical front crush zone and front fascia.
~Switch toads "at will"...tow cars from the VAST majority of front wheel drive cars - no worry about damage to the gearbox.
~Car is up high away from rock strikes.
~Brakes are often part of the dolly design (surge or electric) and very easy to use with or without the car loaded.
~Typically less expensive (new vs. new or used vs. used) over a full suite of flat-tow gear (what ever you do, please get brakes).
~Useful as a rescue rig for stranded friends/family...possibly a con

Cons:
~Another piece of gear to maintain (but there is tow-bar lube/maint and aux braking adjustment/maint for flat tow too).
~Where do you put it in tight RV spots? - If you park for long periods or in a park that demands it be stowed out of site (this actually has never happened to us - we can just push the dolly under the RV's overhang).
~Tire straps and safety chains are at the level of the dolly (requires some bending).

Best Luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:19 PM   #9

I have the Demco SS and really like it. I had to get a dolly as DW bought a front wheel drive car and will not part with it. Plus the Demco SS has a fold up tongue and ramps so it stows away nicely behind the coach in parks. And it has a life time warranty.

Extent and Duration of this Warranty:

Your Demco Tow Bar has a Lifetime Limited warranty to be free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal use and service from date of purchase by the original (first) retail owner, or until it is resold or transferred by the original owner. Any part of the Demco Tow Bar found in the judgement of the manufacturer to be defective in materials or workmanship will be repaired or replaced at the manufacturer’s option without charge for parts or labor to the original owner. - See more at: Tow Bar Warranty Policies | Demco Products
Old 07-27-2015, 07:30 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

I have the Roadmaster 2000 with electric brakes and wouldn't have any other. This dolly has towed my Honda Civic to Alaska and back with no problems and now it is towing a 2011 Ford Escape.
The beauty part of a tow dolly is that if you change cars ( front wheel drive) you don't have to purchase anything but just drive it up ans away you go. I put on mine a 3rd wheel so that I can push it to the back of coach if I have a back in site. I also carry a spare tire for it on the tongue. The electric brakes require a brake controller in the RV but no biggy as wiring is there usually.
The Roadmaster also has 2 storage compartments for the chains and the wheel straps. BTW you don't have to crawl underneath car to hookup car to dolly.
Good luck!

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:38 AM   #11

Before I made my decision I did a count of RV's that I saw on a 1 week trip up the west coast. flat towing was by far the majority. I rented a dolly to check it out and did not like the feel of the dolly. You have to consider storage of the dolly when not in use. If your toad is one of those that cannot be flat towed, that will be your decision maker. There is no right or wrong solution, just a preference. My cost for setting up for flat towing was $500. I found many dolly's used for around $750, so not a huge difference.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:49 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use an american tow dolly and really like it (the dolly), but I would flat tow if I had a vehicle that I could flat tow with. Tow dollies are easy to use and I have not had an issue storing mine, the only thing that I don't like is checking the straps after a few miles, I like to get in and go. Flat towing just seems easier to me, but cost more for the set up.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:55 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here are two from PPL Motorhomes. They drop ship them to any destination. Ours is the KK3. We love it.

Tow Dollies - Kar Kaddy SS-pplmotorhomes.com

Demco Karkaddy 3 - Tow Dolly - With Surge Brakes-pplmotorhomes.com
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:23 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just wondering type vechicle and base plate, tow bar, etc you set up for $500?
DJBSDB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly