Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-25-2022, 10:26 AM   #1

Tow Dolly

Hi all,
I am looking at buying a tow dolly for my 2019 Kia Sorrento to pull behind my class a motorhome. The towing weight of the motorhome says itís 8000 pounds and the Kia weighs 3800. Iím looking at the tow master heavy duty dolly. Does anyone have any information about that, good or bad? The specs say it towed 3000 pounds per axle and the Kia would only be 1900 pounds per axle. Thank you in advance
Awj0702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2022, 07:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awj0702 View Post
Hi all,
I am looking at buying a tow dolly for my 2019 Kia Sorrento to pull behind my class a motorhome. The towing weight of the motorhome says itís 8000 pounds and the Kia weighs 3800. Iím looking at the tow master heavy duty dolly. Does anyone have any information about that, good or bad? The specs say it towed 3000 pounds per axle and the Kia would only be 1900 pounds per axle. Thank you in advance
We used a Master Toad...er, Tow, for many years. It worked fine, other than that it's a tow dolly. That is, it takes time to set up, and time to break down, usually kneeling in the rain (grin), and you have to *do* something with the dolly once you're there. When it was about 25 years old, I did rewire it to get all the lights reliable again. If I had to do it over again (I hope not!), I'd get one with brakes so I didn't have to fuss with a supplemental system for the toad.

We flat tow now.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 09:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awj0702 View Post
Hi all,
I donít have experience with that particular model you referenced but you shouldnít have any issues hauling your Kia. Just some food for thought, we have an American Car Dolly we have been hauling our 2015 Equinox on for the last 4 years and about 15,000 miles. As N2ZON explained, there is a fair amount of grunt work involved with a dolly (getting dirty and sweaty mostly). I got tired of it and over the winter, I have been working on getting the Equinox set up for flat towing which is the method most people prefer. First trip with this set up is in two weeks. Good luck to you.
Wacdmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 10:14 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
I have a master tow. There are 2 different width Master Tow dolly. Make sure it's wide enough. It won't have an issue with the weight. The drum brakes it comes with stock (if it has drum brakes) aren't adjustable. I went ahead and bought new backing plates with the brakes and electric actuator, that are adjustable. I store my tow dolly under the back of the motorhome usually. I haven't yet had to kneel in the rain to disconnect.
Old 04-26-2022, 04:38 PM   #5

We have towed a Taurus on our 2016 Master Tow dolly with surge brakes over 35,000 miles with zero issues, including over the Rockies a couple of times. The surge drum brakes are manually adjustable, which I have done once. Loading in the rain is pretty rare, if you pay attention to weather forecast (load the night before) and I prefer to pick a better spot rather than load in the mud. Almost always able to back the unloaded dolly with the MH into campsites, which seems pretty common. I may go to flat towing as I get older, but at 66, so far, so good.
StephenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 05:16 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a Master Tow dolly and used it for several years towing various cars. Make sure the dolly is 80 inches wide (part of the model number) and has brakes (surge or electric). Are you sure that your Ace has an 8K towing capacity or just an 8K hitch? What is your gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) and your gross combined weight rating (GCWR)? My guess is your GVWR is 18K lbs and your GCWR is 23K lbs.

GCWR - GVWR= your true towing capacity, plus a bit, based on your actual loaded weight.

Sent from my SM-A515U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 05:35 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Tow dollies are a pain in the rear. I did it for 3 years. Save your money and just get something to tow 4 wheels down. So much easier.
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 05:36 PM   #8

We have been using a Master Tow with Surge Brakes to tow our 2020 Traverse. We got the 80" wide model and nothing smaller would have worked with the Traverse.

This is the model we have and it has served us well. I did get some better straps that form a better basket with three cross straps but that is more personal preference.

Model 80THD For towing small to full-size cars, and some vans & trucks. Max towed vehicle gross wt 4,750 lbs. (towed vehicle tread width 40" - 80")
DutchStarJez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 05:43 PM   #9

If its not standard equipment, get surge disk brakes.

I have a Stehl Tow, clone of Master Tow, and have at least 35,000 miles on it. 1 set of brake pads and 1 set of tires at 30,000 miles.

We have changed cars we tow on it 3 times and are towing a 4500 lb 4 door pickup.

Dolly or 4 down, you still hookup in the rain. I have my setup so I don't kneel down.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly