Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2010, 02:41 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoRV View Post
I honestly don't SEE how they swivel from the pictures on the website.......but they SAY they do.......???????
my stehl dolly has a swivel platform, the platform that holds the cars front wheels swivels. the dolly wheels do not steer. i have seen other brands with similar construction. master tow is one that i have seen that is similar.

STEHL TOW TRAILERS

from the picture and info, the american looks similar.
my stehl dolly has dexter electric brakes and i have a dexter brake controller mounted on the dash of my moho.
my stehl dolly was $1300 new. i have it licensed in washington as a trailer, $18.75 a year. the license is necessary in washington only if you are towing the dolly without a licensed vehicle on it. i have the small motorcycle type license plate (optional) mounted on the left fender under the tail light.
i added led taillights and a wheeled tongue jack from harbor freight.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2010, 08:18 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have towed a Honda Civic on a Master Tow dolly with surge brakes. The dolly pan sits on two friction plates and has a pivot bolt which holds the pan on the axle. The inertia of the vehicle sitting on the pan allows the axle to follow the tow vehicle while the pan pivots. When traveling in a straight line, the drag of the vehicle realigns the pan over the axle.
reinpsu63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:24 PM   #17

I am learning a lot about tow dollys.......(still haven't picked one out yet; I am studying all the responses here before I make up my mind)........great info! Thanks to everyone who responded!
MoRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:54 PM   #18

Please post your results once you purchase one.
we're in the same process. Research, research research but have not pulled the trigger.

American tow dolly, stehl, demco and acme eze-tow

I have until end of Jun to make the decision.
good luck

don
SiteCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:27 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't the Stehl wheel bearings need repacking every 1500-2000 miles? Last summer that would have meant me having to repack the wheel bearings at least 8 times. Maybe its real easy to do but you sure would need to carry a bunch of grease.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:21 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
Don't the Stehl wheel bearings need repacking every 1500-2000 miles? Last summer that would have meant me having to repack the wheel bearings at least 8 times. Maybe its real easy to do but you sure would need to carry a bunch of grease.
my stehl dolly has a dexter (very common) axle, wheel hubs, bearings and electric brakes. the end of the axle has a grease fitting installed that greases both the inner and outer wheel bearings with a few pumps of a grease gun through drilled passages.
i think most trailer and dolly manufacturers recommend frequent greasing of their wheel bearings. the system on my dolly makes it easier than most.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
Old 05-09-2010, 07:04 AM   #21

OK, Dan L, another 'pro' for the Stehl dolly.....thanks!
Old 05-09-2010, 07:08 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiteCR View Post
Please post your results once you purchase one.
we're in the same process. Research, research research but have not pulled the trigger.

American tow dolly, stehl, demco and acme eze-tow

I have until end of Jun to make the decision.
good luck

don

Will do! And if you purchase before us....post your results! I am going to work up a 'pros' and 'cons' list for the various brands we are considering/researching. Then we will just have to decide which pros and which cons matter the most to us.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:57 PM   #23

I don't see anyone discussing the Forest River tow dolly advertised on the website banner. Anyone tried one?
ronswank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:04 PM   #24

Sorry. I meant the Acme tow dolly advertised on this website banner. Anyone tried it?
ronswank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:54 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronswank View Post
Sorry. I meant the Acme tow dolly advertised on this website banner. Anyone tried it?
Two things, 10 inch tires and when you have a blow out, wonder where you would go buy them.

Maybe where they sell lawn tractor tires? No mine are 12 inch tires. Nuff said?
Old 05-09-2010, 04:19 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
Two things, 10 inch tires and when you have a blow out, wonder where you would go buy them.

Maybe where they sell lawn tractor tires? No mine are 12 inch tires. Nuff said?
my stehl dolly has 13'' 8 ply tires. i bought a spare tire and wheel from les schwab tires.
many dolly and trailer manufacturers use dexter axles with their ez lube feature for lubing wheel bearings.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:26 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Big big difference in 13 inch and 10 inch tires and their availability.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:08 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My Master Tow has 14" wheels. Also has EZ Lube hubs. Very low-maintenance.
reinpsu63 is offline   Reply With Quote