Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2014, 10:41 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have the KK SS-460 and tow a Hondy Odyssey on it (or at least we used to). No troubles with it and no damage to the Ody. I did wire the Ody's lights into the dollys too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2014, 07:54 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BevRedmond View Post
Thank you for this information. Can you please tell me the difference between surge breaks and other kinds (electric?).Bev
Good question.

Electric Brakes work with a brake controller spliced into your brake system. When you step on the brakes the controller sends current to magnetic brake shoes inside brake drums in the dolly. You must have this controller installed for the system to work.

Surge brakes work by the hitch having the ability to telescope inside itself putting pressure on a hydraulic brake plunger. The plunger transmits hydraulic pressure through lines to either regular drum brakes, or in our case disc brakes at the wheels.

Surge brakes require no controller installed in the tow vehicle.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:58 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Surge brakes use an internal hydraulic brake mechanism in the dolly tongue to apply the dolly brakes as you begin to stop the tow vehicle. The force of the vehicle on the dolly pushes forward which compresses the brake mechanism to apply the brakes automatically, nothing for you to do but let them work. All boat trailers use this type because of the water they are exposed to when loading and unloading a boat.
Electric brakes will require a brake controller in the tow vehicle to create the different voltages which in turn apply the brakes to the dolly. Electric brake controllers will require you to adjust them as you change the load or weight of the towed trailer or dolly/vehicle combo. Since you have towed a trailer you would be familiar with this process.
Personally I prefer the surge brakes on the dolly since they apply the braking action automatically.

Good luck with your search and enjoy your travels.
Mason Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:15 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pictures worth 1000 words:

Surge brakes:

and

Electric brakes are pretty easy to understand - electric servo brakes on the axle - controlled by a box in the cab...here's an overview:

I prefer the surge brakes for a dolly because of the wide weight differences on a dolly - loaded to unloaded...automatically/infinitely adjusted.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:27 PM   #19

I use a wide model Master Tow with electric brakes. Works well and is easy to load. Primary reason to pick over others was its lower weight. Many neglect the fact that the dolly weight can combine with the toad weight to easily overload some hitches.
If weight were not a factor, i would probably have bought a steerable dolly.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:46 AM   #20

Another point I forgot to add, this week I was in a pull thru site that had a substantial curve to it. Typical where the entrance and exit to the site are to the same road.
Ended up with the steering pan at an angle to the ramps, dolly axle, and tires/fenders. Made it touchy backing off and the pan had to be realigned by hand to reload. Another plus for the steerable models.

Slowly talking myself into a new dolly.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:05 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peddler View Post
Another plus for the steerable models.
Slowly talking myself into a new dolly.
Our Demco tracks right in the wheel tracks of the MH. Makes it nice turning in tight quarters.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:20 PM   #22

So much to learn

I'm beginning to wonder how (or if) I'll ever be able to absorb all this information! I feel like an infant who's faced with the daunting tasks of learning to walk and talk. Seems like every question I ask leads to a bunch more in my head and that I should get a degree in owning/operating/maintaining a MH before I even THINK of taking it on the road.

I really appreciate all of you taking time to help me understand these things.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:40 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is really no "bad" dolly out there. Just some better ones.

Here is an idea...rent a U-Haul dolly for one outing. It will be a very heavy and strong almost overbuilt unit, with a pivot pan, retracting ramps, and all the safety equipment you would ever want. We did this 3 times before deciding to buy a dolly. It helped us learn a lot about towing a car with our RV. By the time we were ready to buy, we knew dolly towing would work for us - no remorse here - and have had no problems since.

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 10-21-2014, 10:54 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I'm beginning to wonder how (or if) I'll ever be able to absorb all this information! I feel like an infant who's faced with the daunting tasks of learning to walk and talk. Seems like every question I ask leads to a bunch more in my head and that I should get a degree in owning/operating/maintaining a MH before I even THINK of taking it on the road.

I really appreciate all of you taking time to help me understand these things.
You will never stop learning as long as you wake up each morning..

I had the Acme Ez Tow Dolly and over all was happy with it, but... Yes there are always a few buts. I went with a Tow Dolly because of the flexibility in what I put on it.

1. I think I would have been happier with a model that was steerable. At least I think I would have been.
2. I loved the Surge Disc Brakes on the Acme and would never have Drum.
3. I switched to 4 down for two reasons.
(a) I wanted a 4x4 (Jeep Grand Cherokee) so I could leave the pavement in areas where I was spending time (NV, AZ, Southern CA and other locations) and I could not really do that with my PT Cruiser or Town & Country Van
(b) Even with the Steering unlocked I felt my Dolly was scrubbing the tires. I Towed the Town & Country from Seattle, WA, to AZ, then headed east to FL and then north to PA, then back west to Seattle. At about 8K miles I had to replace both tires on the Dolly from what appeared to be scrubbing while turning.

I also did an upgrade on the dolly while I had it, actually two now that I think about it and reading the Post about the current upgrade it is undoing the biggest and best upgrade it did on it and it makes me uncomfortable about it.

You can not go wrong with any of the Dollies out there, but be aware that your use may change down the road and you will to much as I have done.

Over all ease of hooking up and getting down the road, 4 Down is the winner, but costs quite a bit more and that varies a lot depending on what you will tow.

Good Luck with the Motor Home, enjoyable and safe travels for your future.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:06 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochisme View Post
You will never stop learning as long as you wake up each morning..

I had the Acme Ez Tow Dolly and over all was happy with it, but... Yes there are always a few buts....
I also did an upgrade on the dolly while I had it, actually two now that I think about it and reading the Post about the current upgrade it is undoing the biggest and best upgrade it did on it and it makes me uncomfortable about it.

You can not go wrong with any of the Dollies out there, but be aware that your use may change down the road and you will to much as I have done.

Over all ease of hooking up and getting down the road, 4 Down is the winner, but costs quite a bit more and that varies a lot depending on what you will tow.

Good Luck with the Motor Home, enjoyable and safe travels for your future.
So...what was the upgrade?
I have added the new style tail lights (provided at no cost by Acme) and mounted the safety chains on the end at the dolly to stay put, but that's about all I would ever do to it.

The "it scrubs the tires" stories often make me wonder. When I first bought the dolly, I put our car on the dolly, hooked to my Dodge3500 (4x4 DWR) and talked the Mrs. into driving it all over our neighborhood - as a test.

I climbed into the bed to watch and we went for a ride...Even at full-lock u-turns the dolly did not scrub. The steering on our car went full left and full right in turns and everything worked great.

I will admit that the Dodge (with 4x4 and dualies) does not have a very tight turning radius, so smaller tow vehicles could exceed the turning radius of the dolly. But, our RV has an even larger turning radius, so we have never seen abnormal tire wear on the dolly.

Of course tire wear is a dead give-away that there was some issue. It is imperative that the steering in the car is unlocked and that the steering can fully/freely pivot - just like flat towing.

We have switched toads several times and our primary toad just cannot be flat towed (a CVT), so FOR US the one-time purchase of the dolly is better...YMMV.

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 10-22-2014, 06:35 PM   #26

I bought the Acme EZtow. it has been a good purchase. did buy a spare set of straps, just sayin.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:39 AM   #27

Well, thanks to all the good information from you folks, I believe we've just about made our decision. It looks like we'll be getting the Acme EZ Tow. Also, you've helped us understand the differences in the braking systems, and that has helped!

We appreciate all the input.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:50 PM   #28

Quote:
Thank you for this information. Can you please tell me the difference between surge breaks and other kinds (electric?). I appreciate any help I can get. I'm learning more every day about the many differences between our new style of travel (MH) and our old style (truck and trailer), but I know that whatever info we will have absorbed before we hit the road will be nothing compared with what we still have to learn. I expect it to be an ongoing process......Bev
Surge brakes are a self contained hydraulic system that transmits the towed vehicles inertia( forward moving mass) into kinetic energy to push on an actuator built into the tow dolly tongue (just like your foot on the break pedal.) that moves the shoes or pads in contact with the drums or rotors.

Electric Brakes have a sliding magnet that when energized expand the shoes to the drums causing the vehicle to slow down.

I much prefer the surge hydraulic brakes, less moving parts NO wiring or controller and DISCS instead of drums.

Tags
advice, dolly, tow, tow dolly