Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2020, 03:32 PM   #1

Tow Dolly and Kia Soul

Hi all I have a 28 ft Class C and need to tow a Kia Soul. I am looking at a Stehl tow dolly to do it. Does anyone have any comments about the Stehl quality / features / durability vs other brands ? ANd does anyone have any suggestions / in's / out's about towing the Kia Soul ?? Thanks Jack
azjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2020, 04:03 PM   #2

I towed a Soul, on a Stehl Tow dolly for 4 years, before trading up to a newer car.

One issue I had was some cupping of the rear tires, probably because its such a short car and the angles change when the front is up.

The other issue was with the steering wheel lock. I did some heavy maneuvering to get out of a gas station and cut the turn way to tight. That caused the lock pin to bend and I couldn't turn the key.

Got it free with some force and then removed the lock pin completely a few days later.

The dolly is great and we now tow a Honda Ridgeline on it.
Replaced the brake pads and tires, last year, at 40,000 something miles.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 04:39 PM   #3

Another dolly to look at if you are towing a car with no steering lock is the Acme EZE Tow. This dolly requires that the steering be unlocked but many cars no longer have locking steering wheels. The BIG feature for us is that when not being used, the dolly can be stored vertically which is how we store it in our car port. It takes up abou 16 inches or so of floor space and my Chevy Avalanche is parked right in front of it. This dolly has radial tires and surge hydraulic disc brakes, not drum brakes. We picked it up used for $1100 and it came with a spare tire and wheel, 3 sets of straps, and car-to-dolly safety chains.
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:19 AM   #4

White Castle Guest Satisfaction Survey

White Castle was established in 1921 and is broadly credited as the primary, inexpensive food chain in the United States.
https://herrymice7.wixsite.com/websi...4558es20O6FQ9o
Henry556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 06:39 AM   #5

I towed a Soul with a Master Tow Dolly with no problems. I now have an American Car Dolly. I prefer it over the Master Tow. The main reason it is much easier to move the empty dolly around with the removable ramps off.

2020 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLE, Chevy 4500
c_ref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 08:50 AM   #6

I have used a Stehl tow dolly on a Born Free class C and now on my Newmar class A and it has worked great. The Stehl allows the front end of the tied down toad to move on a platform to respond to a directional change from the RV. This results in an improved turning radius and less stress on the trailer and tires.

We have decided to venture into the 4 down realm and will be selling our tow dolly. I probably will regret that decision but it will not be my first experience with that feeling.
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly