Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2016, 06:29 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Well, we got it home. Thanks to all for your input and recommendations.

Trip was about 125 miles, I loaded and towed conventionally, facing forward. The truck didn't fit well, it was tight left to right, but more importantly, the strapping was very marginal. The truck tires are large 16" tires, the straps were for a smaller wheel. I tightened them " gorilla tight", adjusted and checked them 5 times in the 125 miles, and drove 55 mph.

Now, return the tow dolly, and get back to towing all 4 down. Sure like that better.

Thanks again for your comments. Good group on this forum,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2020, 06:38 AM   #16

Post Rear Wheels on a Dolly Towing

OK here is my issue. I'm 74 with a lot of back issues that prevent a lot of mobility for me. I currently use a tow dolly to transport a small Honda Civic. I have a lot of difficulty getting in and out of the Honda but once in It drives great and I am very comfortable.
I have a 2016 Dodge Ram with RWD. I would like to find out if anyone has ever Towed Rear Wheels UP on The Dolly. Is this even Legal? I do have Electric Brakes on the Dolly.
Nomonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomonk View Post
OK here is my issue. I'm 74 with a lot of back issues that prevent a lot of mobility for me. I currently use a tow dolly to transport a small Honda Civic. I have a lot of difficulty getting in and out of the Honda but once in It drives great and I am very comfortable.
I have a 2016 Dodge Ram with RWD. I would like to find out if anyone has ever Towed Rear Wheels UP on The Dolly. Is this even Legal? I do have Electric Brakes on the Dolly.
I have not done it yet but have seen quite a few full size pickups backed on dollys . Make sure the steering is tied straight ahead.

PS: Don't try it with a Acme dolly. They need steering tires.

Also heard of folks leaving the engine running while towing front wheels up.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:20 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Been towing my 2007 Ford Ranger backwards (front facing rear - rear wheels on dolly) for many years now on my American Car Dolly. Very doable and easier to load and run than towing the car. Have towed thousands of miles with no problems. No tire wear- no front end problems.

Absolute must do though: Extra weight must be loaded in the truck bed over the dolly to get weight over the dolly wheels and not have so much weight at rear of tow set up with engine so far back.

The set up works great as we load the motorhome spare, the dolly spare, and a few other camping pieces (chairs, grills camping toys etc) in the bed and it all works great.

I never trust the steering lock and always strap the steering wheel to keep it from moving.

This link from American Car Dolly explains how to do it properly:
https://americandolly.com/user-information/
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 04:22 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
I have owned and or used a tow dolly many many time. However, each time, I had a front wheel drive vehicle. Drive it on the dolly and strap it down.

Tomorrow, I am planning on taking my rear wheel drive standard tranny Frontier to pick up my motorhome ( and tow dolly ) at a repair shop. This morning the light went off, that loading the pickup facing forward might be the wrong approach. The locked drive train wheels are in the rear, and the wheels on the dolly would be free. The only thing keeping the pick up on the dolly would be the straps. If I back the truck on the dolly then I have the locked drive train and the straps to keep the truck on the dolly.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions, please.

PS. Any legal issues towing backwards?
I have been flat towing a 97 Nissan Pickup with standard transmission for many years. Just put it in neutral, unlock the steering wheel, and go. The only issue that I have developed was having to replace the front bearings since my coach has a Shepherd steering gear which causes it to wander some. That causes the pickup to be at the end of the whip so to speak, however slight.
Florida Panhandler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly