Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2017, 05:53 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
When you have your setup complete, would you post some pictures? I'm going to be going this exact path in the near future.
It won't be until May if that's not too late. I won't be getting the coach out of the indoor storage facility until the end of April.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2017, 06:40 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Here's a picture of my setup. Using a Road Master split hitch.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:03 AM   #31

What about the heat on the bikes? I have the rear radiator and think the heat would not be good for my bikes. Also not sure about impact on air flow.
mdvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:36 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvs View Post
What about the heat on the bikes? I have the rear radiator and think the heat would not be good for my bikes. Also not sure about impact on air flow.
Had a light cover on bikes. Didn't show any signs of heat damage. Water temps were normal. 2400 mile trip to Florida and back.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:24 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeward_aa View Post
Had a light cover on bikes. Didn't show any signs of heat damage. Water temps were normal. 2400 mile trip to Florida and back.
I was going to buy a cover especially since I am considering a new bike. The bike rack company states not to cover in their documentation. This is from their web site, "We do not recommend using a cover on our bike racks. A cover will add more drag on the rack, and compromise the safety of the rack."

Thinking this might not be an issue behind the coach since it is out of the wind.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:55 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
I could see that being an issue with some bike racks. The Thule bike rack is a beast and handles the extra loads without issue. It's also behind a 13 ft wall (i.e. the back of the coach) so it's out of the direct slipstream.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:16 AM   #35

OK, so here is the response I got from Saris much to my surprise.

"Yes, bike covers should not be used while using any of our bike racks. Our bike racks are also not tested for and should not be mounted on the back of any type of motorhome or RV. "

So after some more research, apparently the only company that allows RV use is Swagman as Thule apparently doesn't cover RV use either from what I read on line.

Sent a nasty response to both Saris and etrailer since I didn't see any such limitation on the bike rack.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:55 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Does not make sense to me. I have thousands of miles with my bike rack on my coach with no problems. The only thing I can think of as different is you can't see the bikes through a back window, so if something comes loose it is harder to see

2005 Newmar Kountry Star 3742
Old 04-12-2017, 12:14 PM   #37

Quote:
Does not make sense to me. I have thousands of miles with my bike rack on my coach with no problems. The only thing I can think of as different is you can't see the bikes through a back window, so if something comes loose it is harder to see

Which brand do you have?

I did find one documented case of a bike rack failing on an RV. I emailed etrailer to get their input. Unfortunately, I already threw away the box and packing so returning is no longer an option plus the shipping cost would be huge. Just frustrating that this limitation is not noted on the web site since RV'ers do a lot of shopping on etrailer. I guess it is buyer beward.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:29 PM   #38

Gulf Streamers Club
I have seen bike racks on the back of travel trailers that have flexed so much because of the trailer motions that the bumper has failed. I see the need for a strap or brace to the RV's rear to reduce the flexing and potential metal fatigue.

On the back of a diesel pusher, I see less violent motion and doubt if metal fatigue would be as much of an issue.

Likewise, a cover, shielded by the RV's rear wall, is less likely to be subject to strong wind gusts like a bike rack on a fastback or car with a flat trunk.

I suspect all the cautions about not using a cover or mounting on the back of an RV is the manufacturer's legal department's CYA so they don't get held liable if the rack fails. A cautious owner would regularly inspect the stress points where cracks could form from metal fatigue, make sure the bikes are secured, and not exceed the weight limits of the rack.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:48 AM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Which brand do you have?

I did find one documented case of a bike rack failing on an RV. I emailed etrailer to get their input. Unfortunately, I already threw away the box and packing so returning is no longer an option plus the shipping cost would be huge. Just frustrating that this limitation is not noted on the web site since RV'ers do a lot of shopping on etrailer. I guess it is buyer beward.

I have this one. Much better than a hanging rack because it is more stable and easier to use. You may want to look for a used one. They used to be called Sportworks until Thule bought them.

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-...9045-_-1689773

Old 04-14-2017, 11:35 AM   #40

Quote:
I have this one. Much better than a hanging rack because it is more stable and easier to use. You may want to look for a used one. They used to be called Sportworks until Thule bought them.

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-...9045-_-1689773

Your rack is similar to mine but appears to be much heavier. Per etrailer, it is not rated for RV use http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-R...le/TH9044.html

I just bought a second hitch for the car and am going to have a receiver welded on top of it at the appropriate angle for dolly towing so the bike rack will be on the car rather than the coach. About the only solution I have at this point. They won't let me return the rack I have and the one that will both hold our bikes and is RV rated is too long and will hit the car.

Had I known it was going to be such a debacle I wouldn't have even bothered to start with.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:19 PM   #41

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Your rack is similar to mine but appears to be much heavier. Per etrailer, it is not rated for RV use http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-R...le/TH9044.html

I just bought a second hitch for the car and am going to have a receiver welded on top of it at the appropriate angle for dolly towing so the bike rack will be on the car rather than the coach. About the only solution I have at this point. They won't let me return the rack I have and the one that will both hold our bikes and is RV rated is too long and will hit the car.

Had I known it was going to be such a debacle I wouldn't have even bothered to start with.

This is what I use , it is great thus far.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6784.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	158219
radcac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:04 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by radcac View Post
This is what I use , it is great thus far.
Attachment 158219

Are you towing the car on a dolly? Looks long, how far back does it protrude from the hitch pin?

Tags
bike rack, dolly, tow, tow dolly