Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2022, 09:35 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Tow Dolly/Buick Enclave Advise

We own a 2020 Buick Enclave that we want to haul it on a dolly behind our motorhome. It is front wheel drive, so the front wheels must be on it. The owners manual says it can be done as long as the neutral battery cable is disconnected. I'm concerned about losing memory settings, so wondering if anyone else has had to do this and what kind of settings must be reset once it's off the dolly. Seems like a big pain, but it's less expensive than trading cars, or buying an 18' flat bed trailer.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2022, 10:37 AM   #2

towing

I think the owners manual is giving directions on how to "flat tow" the car, with all wheels on the ground. You should not have to do that if you are towing on a dolly. Suggest you investigate flat towing and dolly towing on the internet to make sure understand all this.
bsheet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 11:58 AM   #3

Just read your manual, yup, for dolly towing,, they require the negative cable to be removed after following a few steps to override the electric parking brake.

They may require removing the negative cable so the parking brake doesn't come on.

I would add a battery disconnect switch.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 05:46 AM   #4

These have electric parking brake. Disconnecting the battery elimates the possibility of the brakes accidentally engaging. The memory setting should be kept.
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 05:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
These have electric parking brake. Disconnecting the battery elimates the possibility of the brakes accidentally engaging. The memory setting should be kept.
What would cause the park brake to engage on its own?
speedway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 06:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedway View Post
Possible low voltage if the battery runs down. New vehicles with all the various electrical systems do crazy things when voltage drops.

BTW, did they change something with the Enclave? They used to be 4 down towable.maybe they changed the trans? The 6 speed was towable.
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 07:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Possible low voltage if the battery runs down. New vehicles with all the various electrical systems do crazy things when voltage drops.

BTW, did they change something with the Enclave? They used to be 4 down towable.maybe they changed the trans? The 6 speed was towable.
This is my first Enclave, it has 9 speed trans. My previous tow was SRX Cadillac which was easy to load and didn’t require anything other than putting in park and locking steering wheel.
I am disappointed that I may have additional steps to take before dolly towing the Enclave.
Should have done more research!
Old 03-04-2022, 08:39 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

Yes
2017 was last year of 4 down on the enclave. The Traverse may be different
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 05:09 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
From what I've been told by a Chevrolet/Buick mechanic, a sensor in the electric parking park will engage if the rear wheels are free wheeling, such as the case if the car has the front wheels on the dolly and the battery is not disconnected.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 05:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfarmcafe View Post
From what I've been told by a Chevrolet/Buick mechanic, a sensor in the electric parking park will engage if the rear wheels are free wheeling, such as the case if the car has the front wheels on the dolly and the battery is not disconnected.
Thanks for the info. I will be ordering a disconnect switch. Can anyone recommend a quality switch?
Old 03-05-2022, 09:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I will be ordering a disconnect switch. Can anyone recommend a quality switch?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T288VN8...p&ref=aa_scomp
Winger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 03:06 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:

The brakes will auto set if it’s off and moves they are electrically controlled …. It’s a safety deal assuming you forgot to set them … lol my 9 speed push button 20 terrain is the same. You have to disconnect power so it doesn’t. I bought a cheap $2500 02 manual escape to 4down tow and sold the dolly leave the comfortable terrain parked at the home base.
Old 03-14-2022, 05:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Disconnect switch install is looking more difficult than anticipated.
No room for switch close to the battery. I have a spot for mounting switch up by the firewall but the OE negative cable ( with secondary plug ) is too short to move more than an inch or two away from the battery.

Wondering if the emergency brake in on a circuit by itself? If so maybe simpler to pull e brake fuse?
Old 04-25-2022, 05:31 PM   #14

I would be interested in the fuse idea as well.
DutchStarJez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly