Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2019, 08:00 PM   #1

Tow Dolly Flat tire on Flatbush

The directions for getting to Gateway National Recreation Area (Floyd Bennett Field) by the NPS include driving across Brooklyn on Flatbush Ave since RV are not allowed on the parkways.

My theory of RV driving is that I can go anywhere a tour or city bus can go. So I am following cities buses weaving in and out of traffic down a very busy street. As the bus in front of me clears the light and allows me to pull up a bus length to the now red light, a semi-truck cuts in behind me not see my Honda Del Sol on the tow dolly.

I went back and looked and saw no damage however a few blocks later the dolly tire was flat. So I pulled into the bus stop to change the tire.

No I am not pulling down side streets with out knowing where I am going. Besides I had a really big lug wrench and knew how to use it.

While I have taken the tires off for bearing maintenance, I had never tried getting the spare off the carrier. That is why I carry a cheater bar to snap bolts off.

After that I did have a good time visiting by daughter. She even stayed in the MH two nights.

Just so I do not sound too crazy. I writing this while boondocking in Michigan's upper peninsula to the sounds of a waterfall. No ATT cell but the verizon hot spot is working for trip planning.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2019, 09:19 PM   #2

How would the dolly tire be hit by a semi without damaging any sheet metal?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
How would the dolly tire be hit by a semi without damaging any sheet metal?
Interesting question, I can only offer a theory. I was basically stopped in a grid lock situation. Wen the bus in front cleared the intersection the light was already red.

The truck having a higher vantage point could see that I could pull forward so anticipated I would and cut as close behind me as he could to cut off anyone behind me.

My TOAD is a Honda Del Sol and much smaller than the tow dolly. Still a foot farther back and I would need body work.

I drove that Del Sol and previously my daughter's civic around NYC. Baseball is not the national pass time in NYC. Cutting people off is.

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly